Timber theft

lockhornes

Had a forester come out to buy timber from me. He said it would be best not to do lump sell but to do it from the ticket weight of the loads that are cut. It would be fair to me an to him. I had a good bit of Saw timber and Chip n saw. When I got to looking at the loads weight for the loads all of them showed Chip n saw no Saw timber loads. I call the forester and he agreed there should have been saw timber on some of the tickets. When he contacted the mill about it they would no correct the mistake. It hurts when you grow your timber to Saw timber and only get paid for chip n saw. Which is about half the price of saw timber. Can't do anything with the saw mill but may have to go to small claims court with the timber company that I used. If you have any timber cut if they haul to Jordan Lumber in Barnesville make sure you are getting paid for what you are getting cut. Once its gone you can't get it back this is the only time it will be cut in my lifetime.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Man that sucks, hate to hear that.

LTZ25

You should have checked around the internet for information on both parties, I’m not saying anything funny went on but references should be used when big money is involved.

treemanjohn

Banned
Timber buyers will always rip you off. I had to happen to me many times and they would always fix it when I busted in the door wanting to crack heads. If your driver it doesn't care one way or the other you going to get ripped every time

curtisj

Timber buyers will always rip you off. I had to happen to me many times and they would always fix it when I busted in the door wanting to crack heads. If your driver it doesn't care one way or the other you going to get ripped every time
Timber buyers will not always rip you off. There may be a few bad apples but many are trustworthy & pay the land owner according to the type of timber being cut.

joepuppy

Best advise can come from your local GFC office. They have foresters who are neutral and will help you. They also have an investigator who can look into it, and prosecute if necessary. Sometimes logging companies will send sawtimber to chip and saw when not sorting, or taking short cuts. A lot of times buyers contract the work out, so several groups may be involved. Sometimes a good explanation of how the business works can solve a lot. But I agree with Curtis: all buyers are not crooked or out to rip you off. They are in it to make money, though.

Katalee

When we cut ours I hired a retired friend to sit at the gate and write down loads. What it was and dates. In the end his notes and loggers tickets matched up

Timberman

During my 20+ years in the biz I paid for every single pound of wood exactly as was agreed upon in a timely manner with a per unit sale.

When I bought lump sum I paid exactly what was agreed upon and my checks were gold.

I was a sharp trader and did not believe that profit was a bad word. Any other way and you won't be in business long.

Good luck with your quandary. If you believe you were swindled get the law involved. It's fairly easy to prove wrong doing if it occurred.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
When we cut ours I hired a retired friend to sit at the gate and write down loads. What it was and dates. In the end his notes and loggers tickets matched up

A couple of strategicly placed Game cameras can give photographic proof of each truck , time of day, and what the load consists of as it leaves the property. We did this for a landowner at a place we hunt. Our images matched what he was paid for.

fountain

You reckon with pulpwood prices being so high right now, that they lumped it all as pulp to get you the higher price?

ClemsonRangers

lump sum is the way to go with a sawtimber tract, can be done per unit if you trust them, but i see it all the time, mixing sawtimber into CNS, mixing CNS into pulpwood

if the buyer gave you a sawtimber price and then produced no sawtimber, probably can make a case

large companies have cameras recording loads along with ticket information, law enforcement could probably get those records, good luck

lockhornes

Lucky for me this was only 12ac of timber still have 80ac that will be cut in about 4 years. I will do a lump sum and get multiples bidders.

GeorgiaGlockMan

I installed a Brino Construction cam on a tree monitoring the only gate out when they cut my farm a year+ ago.

I was happy to see the load out ticket log was accurate and matched for grading (best I could tell) and quantity.

Heard horror stories.