Tinnitus anyone?

lbzdually

Banned
I wish, Milkman. I'm 37 and have had it for years now. Another cause not mentioned here for hearing loss and tinnitus, is wind noise. Riding around with your windows down all the time is making those sensitive hairs vibrate all the time. At least that is my theory. I think the fact that my hearing loss is worse in my left ear points to wind as well. Sometimes my left ear will go completely dead for a few seconds like I just shot a gun, then slowly a slight ringing progresses into louder ringing, then hearing is back.

Havana Dude

I have it, 3 different tones at once. At times it drives me nuts. Worse during quiet time. My doc told me to live with it best I can, no cure.

wobin

Banned
i got suckerd in to the "herbal treatment" ...its a bunch of high dollar garbage !.....ringing stayed the same ..did give me a wonderful case of the squirts though !! lol been dealin with tinitus for 20 plus years....airboating, shootin guns,and lettin the wife scream at me at point blank range with no hearing protection..lol
I found the same. Except it was house dogs barking at the mailman instead of a wife. I keep yard dogs only now. And can hardly hear them on the porch.

wobin

Banned
I think I have had a bit of it all my life. My Uncle would take me and my cousins a ways upstream to a sandbar and put us out and go back to get more cousins. I was maybe five. I would go under water and hear ringing and imagine he was on the way back. I thought I was hearing propeller noise. I got older and it got louder. Thank God In Heaven I cant blame it on anything or else I would be in a suing frame of mind.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I wish, Milkman. I'm 37 and have had it for years now. Another cause not mentioned here for hearing loss and tinnitus, is wind noise. Riding around with your windows down all the time is making those sensitive hairs vibrate all the time. At least that is my theory. I think the fact that my hearing loss is worse in my left ear points to wind as well. Sometimes my left ear will go completely dead for a few seconds like I just shot a gun, then slowly a slight ringing progresses into louder ringing, then hearing is back.

Many times the left ear loss is from shooting a rifle right handed

GA native

Yep, That is what the doc told me. Years of shooting, rock concerts and construction sites, ruined my hearing. Any sound in the range of a skilsaw is lost on me. I can hear that punk teenager's hoopty, bass thumping from a block away, but I have to look at a female to understand what she is saying. So it's not all bad.

As for tinnitus, I used to have it. But since I've quit framing houses and started using ear protection when shooting, it has gotten better. For me, the tinnitus was caused by excessive earwax build up. A squeeze bulb with hot water and vinegar does the trick. The hearing loss is forever, but the tinnitus is gone.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/diagnosis-treatment/treatment/txc-20180394 The Mayo clinic has a useful write up on tinnitus.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hey great thread, I just saw this for the first time this morning.
I've been dealing with this ear ringing for long time. It normally doesn't bother me till I'm trying to listen to someone who talks real soft to normal. Then I'm always having to get them to speak up.
It never stops, the ringing never never stops.
I read on page 1 the 8 dollar a bottle drops at rite aid. I wanna find out more about that.

Sargent

Shooting while not wearing ear protection and loud music... had it as long as I can remember.

I also have random "clicks".

Fun.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Shooting while not wearing ear protection and loud music... had it as long as I can remember.

I also have random "clicks".

Fun.

Me too. Mostly in the left ear

Glad this thread has come back to life. But, sorry for all the others that have this problem to deal with. I'm sure mine came from the decades and thousands of hours I spent flying helicopters. I also doubt I used ear protection at a young age when beginning to shoot, although I always do now.

I'd appreciate an update from any of those that have used (are using) the product from Rite Aid (Ring Relief?) and how it works for them. Thanks!

lbzdually

Banned

I've worn hearing protection more than not shooting. What's weird is that while my hearing not as good in my left ear, it is more sensitive to certain sounds, such as someone clapping. A Dr. once told me that the worst sound for an ear is a .22 magnum pistol because of the 'crack' instead of the deeper boom from a big gun.

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Mine came from Huey helicopters, gunfire, riding mowers, and chainsaws. I can hear every beat of my heart, and that is not pleasant. I don't plan on giving up coffee though.

JohnnyWalker

I've got it too and it's getting worse. Helicopters, gunshots, and loud guitars will take their toll on you. I slept with a box fan on low for over two years but lately I've been turning it up a notch. Don't know what else to do about it but I did read this article last week about how scientists think they may have figured a way to "re-boot" the brain to ease the ringing.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.f57c40c34c2baca8600a698953d82048.1e1

I wonder if a good brain re-boot would help me remember where I left my keys?
It has been deleted or something.

Redbow

I have in my left ear its a constant high pitch ringing but I manage to block it out most of the time. It doesn't bother my sleeping..Gunfire, locomotive air horns, revving diesel engines, fireworks and many other things caused my problem..My Dr. told me the only way to eliminate it was to have my eardrum removed, I said no..

bany

Mine started last year. 55 years young! Like most are saying, a little noise helps. A lot of noise is horrendous! Silence doesn't seem so golden anymore.
Kinda think my work van has set it off. No insulation, paneling etc. so loud going down the road it's not funny. 14 years and 100,000 miles has taken a toll I'm guessing. Also did industry for 11 plus years but wore ear plugs religiously.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
What's weird is that while my hearing not as good in my left ear, it is more sensitive to certain sounds, such as someone clapping.

Same for me. It's like I can't hear someone talking on the tv in front of me but I'm sensitive to a barking dog down the street ! Also sensitive to someone coughing or sneezing.....sounds like a spike being hammered into my ear.

Cobra

Same for me. It's like I can't hear someone talking on the tv in front of me but I'm sensitive to a barking dog down the street ! Also sensitive to someone coughing or sneezing.....sounds like a spike being hammered into my ear.

Had this ringing since early thirties, now almost sixty. I am exactly the same as you and my wife gets really aggravated and thinks part of the problem is selective hearing because some things like a dog across the road or sneezing really gets me. At least I know I am not crazy. On a side note I know some people think I am not listening but it is a plain case of I don't hear you.

Cobra

By the way, talking on a phone is sheer torture with soft spoken or high pitched people.