Tipet to leader rings?...

Alan in GA

What a neat idea. No loss of end of leader when removing worn out tippet. Who's tried them?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Zen leaders uses rings and I love them. I've got 3 different lengths and weights for casting dries.

Alan in GA

There were two sizes of ring at Cabela's but no recommended tippet size or weight range recommendation. Even the Cabela's employee said that was poor packaging for a great product. I told him I would read up on the rings before buying so I knew what size to get.

Bream Pole

I use them for bream and use very very small ones not sure of size or if sizes are standardized from manufacturer to manufacture. These latest were bought on the TenkarBum web site.

Alan in GA

Teensy weensy, and eensy teensy weensy.... LOL. There was no size or description on package. $6 and $7 I think.

WPrich

What a neat idea. No loss of end of leader when removing worn out tippet. Who's tried them?

I use the Rio brand tippet rings for euro nymphing, I think they have 2 sizes one for trout(small) and the other for steelhead(larger).

WMA Man

Never used them. Maybe I don't understand just how small these rings are. But being steel it seems they would sink or at least sink a portion of your leader and tippet and spook fish.

Tell me I'm wrong because I can take a 9' leader to a nub in no time(dang bushes) and these could be a saving grace.

Bream Pole

they are really really small and do not sink a leader.

Alan in GA

The smaller ring looked like two 4lb mono lines would barely fit inside.

scott30415

Also from what I have read they are not steel, they are nickle or some other metal that is more porous than steel. Hence they are strong and yet float, the smallest ones are rated to 25# from what I understand.

sasmojoe

They work good but are a pain in the butt to tie on because they are so small. The ones I got came on a snap swivel.
The easiest way I found was to tie one of tippet to ring while still on snap swivel before removing it.

b5fish

They work good but are a pain in the butt to tie on because they are so small. The ones I got came on a snap swivel.
The easiest way I found was to tie one of tippet to ring while still on snap swivel before removing it.

Make sure to tie the tippet on the closest ring to the snap.. I think I've l lost more of em then I used!

I have decorated the laurel in cohutta with tippet, these rings allow me to get back fishing in half the time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never used them on their own, but I often use braided leaders that have them built in. I like them. The only downside is that they tend to tangle and form knots in your leader sometimes.

IvyThicket

Just tie a blood knot and be done with it!

Forget that. A double surgeons knot is much easier :)

To the OP's point however, anytime you're tying 2 pieces of line together, you're losing more and more of said line on both sides whereas on a ring, at least on one end, you're only tying it once.

I personally am not a huge fan of O rings because they tend to cause more tangles in the leader itself.