tips for flounder fishin

finhead

Mud minnow behind a 1-1/2 oz inline with a two foot 15# leader. Small #2 hook lets is swim free. Work it real slow.

Nautical Son

I don't have a clue about flounder:bounce::bounce::bounce:
Flounder.jpg

But they seem to like me pretty good...

Creek mouths and shrimp or mud minnow on a carolina rig.

I let the shrimp drift out of the creek on it's own, but the mud minnows I actually "troll" along very slowly until he is murdered.

Sometimes depending on the bottom structure I will use a float rig with the bait suspended 4-6" off the bottom. This usually works best if I'm fishing over an oyster bed and the tide is almost dead low...

rifleroom

I don't fish for flounder much, what is the favorite tide?

Nautical Son

I don't fish for flounder much, what is the favorite tide?

It all depends on the drop I'm at....some are outgoing only and some are incoming only...others it doesn't matter as long as there is water moving.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
i catch flounder on accident while jigging for trout. a very welcome delicious accident i may add. a few guys told me to catch flounder on purpous to fish the way, it's been repeated above, and to let the flounder eat the bait before you set the hook. different guys and gals on different ocasions told me if you set the hook to early the hook and bait will come right out of the flounders mouth.
they said you'll feel multiple light tugs and thats the flounder eating.
well if ya'll agree with this, how does a new flounder fisher distinguish the difference in a flounder bite from pesky juvenile bluefish or rolling over sparce oysters or structure?
i love flounder and would like to be better at catching them. thanks for this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nautical Son

i catch flounder on accident while jigging for trout. a very welcome delicious accident i may add. a few guys told me to catch flounder on purpous to fish the way, it's been repeated above, and to let the flounder eat the bait before you set the hook. different guys and gals on different ocasions told me if you set the hook to early the hook and bait will come right out of the flounders mouth.
they said you'll feel multiple light tugs and thats the flounder eating.
well if ya'll agree with this, how does a new flounder fisher distinguish the difference in a flounder bite from pesky juvenile bluefish or rolling over sparce oysters or structure?
i love flounder and would like to be better at catching them. thanks for this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best I can tell ya is the difference in the bait thiefs and flounder is generally the amount of bend in the rod...:fine:

sorry had to say it..

Oysters don't start swimming away with the bait. When I'm using a float and it stops moving I let it sit for a full 8-10 seconds before I check for resistance...that was a trick taught to me by my father when using big plastic worms for largemouths back in the days before all the fancy trick worms and such....."you gotta give'm time to get down to the hook boy" is what he'd say, same thing applies here, paitence is definately a virtue..

bait thieves just grab and go or pick at the bait causing a noticeable difference in the way the float reacts is really the best way to describe it for me.

PaulD

Banned
Never had much luck on the flounder with pogies but I have found them in the gut of big flounder I've cleaned, along with small trout, small redfish, small croaked, whiting, leather jacks, mantis shrimp and fiddler crab. I guess the moral of that story is they are very aggressive and will eat anything they can catch!
Without giving to much info I'll tell you if you're using a big bait you need to let them take the bait. You can't wait to long on the hook set. Flounder usully chomp their pray amd then turn it so they can swallow it head first.

WTM45

In slower water, live mummichugs, kahle hook through the eyes.

When moving at a drift, "ham and eggs!"
That's a strip of squid and a mummichug. Use a three way with the weight on a seperate leader than the hook line. Bucktails work fine too.
Keeping the bait in the "zone" is critical.

Works well on both summer fluke and winter flounder!

PaulD

Banned
All we have down here are fluke. We don't get summer flounder down here. I wish we did! What you described is the good ole northern stand bye and it slays them up there!!! Big time. Down here is a different game....inshore......now offshore. ;)

WTM45

We don't have enough Winter Flounder anymore to speak of either! Numbers are quite low.:banginghe

Summer fluke creel limits and length limits are highly regulated! It's amazing how many 1/2" short fish we catch!:banginghe

Lots of folks do pretty well from shore with the live mummies or any smaller baitfish like sand eels.
Keeping the bait "in the zone" is very important, especially if there is a current.

Nothin' better than battered and deep fried fluke and hushpuppies!

crackerdave

Flounder lay on the bottom a lot of the time,and use their soft fins all around their body to hunker down and perfectly "camo up." Anything that passes within a few feet will get bit,and like others said,wait a half a minute or so if you're using live bait.They kill it first,then eat it.It feels like a blue crab bite,kinda - a hard "tap" and a short run,then they settle down to eat your bait.

My most favorite fish,both for eatin' and for fun!