Tips

Bow Only

This is just a random Woodland frame but some points show the delicate wood working tips that were used by the Woodland peoples. All points from the same site.

Attachments

• DSC03433.JPG
    DSC03433.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 55

au7126

Beautiful collection. I have passed to my son my small collection that I have collected from east Texas , West Texas , south Ga and Piedmont region of mid Ga. While I can identify some of the locations that points came from but how important is original location of find?

Bow Only

Beautiful collection. I have passed to my son my small collection that I have collected from east Texas , West Texas , south Ga and Piedmont region of mid Ga. While I can identify some of the locations that points came from but how important is original location of find?
From an archaeological standpoint, it means almost everything. My collection was designed to learn as much as possible about the original peoples that lived in those locations. By having a site specific catalog of points, one can easily see the various components or the time periods that site was inhabited. Some sites only have one component, others have many. The water source was the key. It is interesting to find a single component site because you can learn a lot from what you find. My buddy has a Boggy specific site. That's all he finds there are Boggy's. People often ask why Boggy I's have a paddle base. Boggy I's are a thick, robust point with often a diamond cross section. Boggy I's are often broken mid way up the point. To break a thick, robust point mid way up, you would have to thrust it into something substantial. My thoughts are the over sized, paddle base is to give more surface area to haft so that when the mass of the weapon hit its target, the point would not move ensuring better penetration. I think the Boggy peoples were the last of the megafauna hunters.

Sorry for rambling.