tires for a honda

hipster dufus

i have a crv, in the past i have had 2 civics and another crv. not one of em were good to tires. they all wore em out way too fast. tried many different brands. can someone with honda experience reccommend a tire brand? only tires ive ever owned that got anywhere near the stated tread life were the Generals that came on my nissan pickup. looking for a 60k tire that will last close to 60k. also what is the treadwear number on a 60k tire? thanks

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Do you rotate tires every 5000 miles?

This is essential to tire life. I have my tire dealer to do my oil change and tire rotation and balance check each 5000. I just got new tires. The old ones had 70,000 miles.
F150 truck though not Honda.

treemanjohn

Banned
My father worked for Goodyear for 45 years. He always said that Michelin are the best tires made. That's all I run and they give me great service

GoldDot40

i have a crv, in the past i have had 2 civics and another crv. not one of em were good to tires. they all wore em out way too fast. tried many different brands. can someone with honda experience reccommend a tire brand? only tires ive ever owned that got anywhere near the stated tread life were the Generals that came on my nissan pickup. looking for a 60k tire that will last close to 60k. also what is the treadwear number on a 60k tire? thanks
I assume the fronts are wesring faster than the rear like your typical FWD vehicle? But have you had the alignment checked and run the vehicle's recommend PSI? Don't use the max PSI on the tire.

hipster dufus

my mistake. iam asking if anyone who owns a honda has had any luck with a specific brand/make of tire.did the rotation bit. im talking about 4 different cars that seem to eat tires. the michelins lastest the shortest time and were replaced with douglas under warranty.want to hear from honda owners.

Red dirt clod

2005 Civic

Bought new as a commute car, 115 mile round trip daily. Original Bridgestones lasted only 30K, switched to Coopers and every set lasted 80k. Got rid of it with 315,000.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
My father worked for Goodyear for 45 years. He always said that Michelin are the best tires made. That's all I run and they give me great service

I am wondering what the heck is wrong with Hondas then because I have used Michelins for about 40 years now and have gotten excellent service on both cars and trucks. I buy a new set when they get to around 50,000 miles and even then, I don't let any tires get down too worn. They probably still have another 10,000 miles left on them BUT I don't like running worn tires.

T-N-T

My wife has a CRV
Has 57-59 thousand I think...?

I assume the tires are from the factory (we got it with less than 20k) and are close to being changed. Like in the next month or two.

Continental cross contact

treemanjohn

Banned
my mistake. iam asking if anyone who owns a honda has had any luck with a specific brand/make of tire.did the rotation bit. im talking about 4 different cars that seem to eat tires. the michelins lastest the shortest time and were replaced with douglas under warranty.want to hear from honda owners.

You have suspension problems or your alignment is total out of whack if your car is eating tires. We have a pilot and average 70k per set rotating every 5k miles

DO yourself a favor and Contact Jeff or Kiernan at Gran Tourism in Doraville. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...d=0ahUKEwi5zIGR6-rZAhURvlMKHZPoBiQQoioIlgEwCg

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Michelin tires have lasted longest on all the vehicles I have owned.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Wife's accords (all of them) were terrible on tires. Finally we sprung for a set of yohohomas and they did much better for longer. Hope this helps.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hipster
How often are you rotating tires on the Honda?

I am wondering what the heck is wrong with Hondas then because I have used Michelins for about 40 years now and have gotten excellent service on both cars and trucks. I buy a new set when they get to around 50,000 miles and even then, I don't let any tires get down too worn. They probably still have another 10,000 miles left on them BUT I don't like running worn tires.

Honda Odyssey owner here.....My van east tires......Called Michelin ......Was told to try something else......Filed a warranty claim at Costco.....Tire guy told me Michelin realizes there is a problem (specific to odyssey) and trying to fix.

ngadeerhunter1969

I drive a 2015 Accord Coupe V6 as my commute vehicle. The Michelins that came on it from Honda lasted about 36K. I could have got a little more out of them but they were kinda sketchy in the rain. I now have put Toyo Versado Noirs on them and love them. They have been on there for 10K and dont look like they have wore at all. Excellent in rain and snow too.

Proper alignment and rotation every 5K is KEY to tire life.

bassboy1

I've got 38k on a set of General Altimax tires on an '08 Civic. If they keep wearing at the same rate, I should get another 20k out of them.

The price on those is pretty decent too. I'll definitely replace with the same.

I'll try to remember to check the condition on my wifes '13 Civic. I put a set of Continental Contiprocontacts (to get the low rolling resistance spec) on it roughly 28-30k ago, and last time I rotated them, I don't recall thinking that they were wearing too quickly.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

We've owned three honda's and never ran into that problem. Oil change and rotate every 3k miles religiously.

Sounds like other factors may be in play here. :pop:

hipster dufus

its not a mechanical or rotation issue. 4 different vehicles in the last 24 yrs.just would like to know if anyone can reccommend a tire brand that will come close to the treadwear rating before it is wore out.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
its not a mechanical or rotation issue. 4 different vehicles in the last 24 yrs.just would like to know if anyone can reccommend a tire brand that will come close to the treadwear rating before it is wore out.

I believe you. Our hondas were tire killers