Title IX, a brief overview

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
For those that think/hope their favorite college team will still be their "college" team, here is a simple explanation of why that is not possible. I'm using wikipedia as a source, but despite it's failings sometimes, I believe most of this to be accurate. Most will be self explanatory, but I will add some of my thoughts in as well for clarification of my point.

Title IX is the most commonly used name for the landmark federal civil rights law in the United States that was enacted as part (Title IX) of the Education Amendments of 1972. It prohibits sex-based discrimination in any school or any other education program that receives funding from the federal government.
The purpose of Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 was to update Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which banned several forms of discrimination in employment, but did not address or mention discrimination in education.
Senator Birch Bayh wrote the 37 words of Title IX.[1][2] Bayh first introduced an amendment to the Higher Education Act to ban discrimination on the basis of sex on August 6, 1971, and again on February 28, 1972, when it passed the Senate. Representative Edith Green, chair of the Subcommittee on Education, had held hearings on discrimination against women, and introduced legislation in the House on May 11, 1972. The full Congress passed Title IX on June 8, 1972.

Now with this next passage, does anyone really think any congress critter is going to try to amend it to allow schools to pay football/basketball players and not ALL other athletes as well?
Representative Patsy Mink emerged in the House to lead efforts to protect Title IX against attempts to weaken it, and it was later renamed the Patsy T. Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act following Mink's death in 2002

Now to the nitty-gritty.

The following is the opening of the text of Title IX, which is followed by several exceptions and clarifications:[6]

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
AND........
Each institution or organization that receives federal funding must designate at least one employee as Title IX coordinator. Their duty is to oversee that Title IX is not being violated and to answer all questions pertaining to Title IX. Everyone must have access to the Title IX coordinator's name, address, and telephone number. In order to ensure compliance with Title IX, programs of both male and females must display no discrimination. This applies to opportunities for athletic participation (in proportion to enrollment numbers), scholarships, and how athletes are treated (e.g., equitable locker room facilities, etc.)

This last currently has Oregon in trouble as the Women's Beach Volleyball team has filed suit, claiming the Men's team has better facilities and is treated better. As if ANYONE cares one lick about about MEN'S BV. (Let's face it, MOST ONLY watch women's for the "uniforms").

Even back then many saw the complications this Law posed and attempted to exempt "revenue producing sports" from it. Most notably with the Tower Amendment, but several other attempts have been made since.
Congressman John Tower then proposed an amendment to Title IX that would have exempted "revenue-generating" sports from Title IX
In 1974, U.S. Senator John Tower introduced the Tower Amendment which would have exempted revenue-producing sports from Title IX compliance.[29] Later that year, Congress rejected the Tower Amendment and passed an amendment proposed by U.S. Senator Jacob Javits directing HEW to include "reasonable provisions considering the nature of particular sports" adopted in its place.[10] In June 1975, HEW published the final regulations detailing how Title IX would be enforced.[10] These regulations were codified in the Federal Register in the Code of Federal Regulations Volume 34, Part 106 (34 CFR 106). Since 1975, the federal government has issued guidance clarifying how it interprets and enforces those regulations

In response to a successful challenge to Title IX in Grove City College vs Bell,
The Court decided that since Grove City College was only receiving federal funding through the grant program that only this program had to comply

Congress did THIS.
Grove City's court victory, however, was short-lived. The Civil Rights Restoration Act passed in 1988, which extended Title IX coverage to all programs of any educational institution that receives any federal assistance, both direct and indirect

Now, with all that does anyone really think that should someone challenge the schools for even the APPEARANCE of circumventing this Law, that the courts and/or congress won't slap them down in short order? And since football and MEN'S basketball are the only two revenue generating sports, a new "minor" league will have to be formed completely separate and apart from the schools. They will lease facilities and naming rights from the schools, although in my opinion this could be a FINE LINE for schools to walk, to maintain said separation. These league will play ONLY other teams in said league same as minor league baseball. The CFP will become theirs exclusively, and tv and advertising revenue will go with them as well, as it will be assumed THAT is where the fans will be. We've already seen this with the beginnings of this league in the contracts for B1G and SEC schools and the devastation of the PAC and B12 with the ACC close on their heels. Watching that does anyone think the rest of college athletics survives for long?

Long winded I know, but hopefully this helps clarify the complications Title IX poses for those interested.

Madsnooker

Now my glass half full thoughts. :bounce:
Who cares??? Do you really think half the kids at the top 50 football schools are there for education???? They are at said school for football and there ticket to the nfl which only 2% will get their dream of suiting up in an NFL uniform. At the end of the day, if they want a college education, they will get it while at school they pick regardless how "losely" the team is tied to said college. Kids who dream of playing at OSU that are good enough will play there and still get an education should they desire one. If they don't make it to the nfl they will come back and finish their education should they desire just like what happens now. Neuheisel discussed this very topic last week on a segment of their show. He said those that are upset they are losing something sacred where a player had education first and football second at their loved home state school ended back in the 50s and 60s. The difference back then was money, cars and houses were all given under the table but happening every day of the year. Now that it's "legal" and Title IX ramifications, the way it all gets structured is just that, the new way the old way happens as Neuheisel put it. Bottom line is the same kids blessed with the most talent in HS will go to where he and his family think his best option is to get to the nfl as well as get an education should he so desire. As Cardale Jones famously said, "I ain't here to play no school!!!":rofl:He just said what half of D1 players thought when they were leaving highschool. It's the exact reason your beloved college has had bogus classes for the last 30 yrs so these kids could come and get an "education" at your beloved school. Call it nfl light, farm teams or whatever title you want to call the lipstick on the pig, come a crisp fall day, teams will run out of their stadiums and they will be packed and it will be thriving. Come playoff time, with finally a true playoff that happens in every single sport from peewee football to every professional one, it will be must watch football.

bullgator

Now my glass half full thoughts. :bounce:
Who cares??? Do you really think half the kids at the top 50 football schools are there for education???? They are at said school for football and there ticket to the nfl which only 2% will get their dream of suiting up in an NFL uniform. At the end of the day, if they want a college education, they will get it while at school they pick regardless how "losely" the team is tied to said college. Kids who dream of playing at OSU that are good enough will play there and still get an education should they desire one. If they don't make it to the nfl they will come back and finish their education should they desire just like what happens now. Neuheisel discussed this very topic last week on a segment of their show. He said those that are upset they are losing something sacred where a player had education first and football second at their loved home state school ended back in the 50s and 60s. The difference back then was money, cars and houses were all given under the table but happening every day of the year. Now that it's "legal" and Title IX ramifications, the way it all gets structured is just that, the new way the old way happens as Neuheisel put it. Bottom line is the same kids blessed with the most talent in HS will go to where he and his family think his best option is to get to the nfl as well as get an education should he so desire. As Cardale Jones famously said, "I ain't here to play no school!!!":rofl:He just said what half of D1 players thought when they were leaving highschool. It's the exact reason your beloved college has had bogus classes for the last 30 yrs so these kids could come and get an "education" at your beloved school. Call it nfl light, farm teams or whatever title you want to call the lipstick on the pig, come a crisp fall day, teams will run out of their stadiums and they will be packed and it will be thriving. Come playoff time, with finally a true playoff that happens in every single sport from peewee football to every professional one, it will be must watch football.
I’m not addicted to anything. Pro sports I dropped almost overnight. Haven’t hunted in 2-3 years. I have no problem telling family that’s wants to borrow money to take a hike. If y’all don’t think I can’t drop CFB with no withdrawal symptoms, you’re RONG! At the rate they’re going I doubt I make it past the ‘25 season.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I pay for SEC viewing access every year. Never wanted to miss a game. Enjoyed watching other SEC schools as well. I wont be spending that money this fall.