To lift or not to lift

660griz

I have a 2017 GMC 2500 Duramax. The heaviest I tow is about 13000 lbs, a few times a year. I really like the look of the lifted GMCs I have seen. Thinking of maybe a 4" suspension lift. I really don't want to go with too much wheel offset and would like to keep that stock except for bigger tires. 33 or 35s.
I have avoided lifts all my life because I use my truck for a truck and don't just cruise WalMart. I know poorly lifted trucks are a maintenance nightmare.
Now for the questions:
Is there a way to lift and retain stock or close to stock axle/driveshaft angles?
Is the ride better?
Can I still tow?
Is power loss noticeable?
Is body roll annoying?
Is ongoing maintenance caused by the lift going to occur?
I don't want the truck leveled, can I retain the angle I have?

hdgapeach

Is there a way to lift and retain stock or close to stock axle/driveshaft angles?
Short answer: body lift (and I wouldn't go anymore than 2" if you do it).
Another short answer: taller & skinny tires. You just have to figure out what the limit is for your fender wells, axle gear ratios, transmission shift points (auto tranny), etc.

Is the ride better?
Not affected with a body lift. Could go either way with a suspension lift (dollars usually determine the ride quality).

Can I still tow?
Body lift: Yes
Suspension lift: Maybe or maybe not, depending on the type / quality / style of lift installed.

Is power loss noticeable?
Larger diameter and heavier tires will negatively affect stock power ratings. Computer controled trucks can be "tuned" to a certain extent (shift points in auto tranny for example). More than a couple of sizes up in tire diameter from stock and you'd probably need ring gear modifications to eliminate loss of torque and power.

Is body roll annoying?
Body roll will be dependent on what type of lift you install. In my opinion, excessive body roll is very annoying.

I don't want the truck leveled, can I retain the angle I have?
Body lift: Won't affect ride angle at all.
Suspension lift: Once again, it depends on what type / quality lift you install.

Get on some of the off road suspension web sites and read up on a bunch of the different lifts available for your particular ride. Wouldn't hurt to stop in a reputable dealer / installer just to pick their brains for a while.

transfixer

Agree with everything posted above, but I'll add one thing, seldom have I ever driven a lifted truck where the handling doesn't suffer when compared to stock suspension. Another side effect of lifted trucks, you'll wear out the side of your drivers seat in a couple of years, from sliding out of the truck, very typical of GM trucks also.

T-N-T

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
I am simply repairing and replacing parts while maintaining the overall look of my truck
I have 35 12.50s on a cummins. Its deleted and tuned. I have better power and get up than stock

lonewolf247

I have basically the same truck as you. Not sure what your tire size is now? Most of the stock tires on that model are ~32.5" tall. Going to the next size up, would put you between 33-33.5" tall. These are just round figures because I'm just guessing on the tire size.

I have never lifted a truck because of the concerns/reasons mentioned in post #1 & #2. I just always went up a tire size, and left everything stock. Usually very minimal affect to performance, and no rubbing.

In my younger years, teens, and early 20's, I always looked at suspension lifts as superior to body lifts, in every way. I guess in the offroad world they are. However, from what I've seen, the ride quality almost never improves, going too big on tires hurts performance, and suspension lift with large tires will hurt your towing ability in many ways.

Bottom line, my vote would be, go up one size on tires, with no lift. If you must lift, a 2-3" body lift is all I would do.

I bought a brand new set of factory take off's to put on my truck, for it's first tire change. When these wear down, I'm going up one size in an all-terrain tire.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Ok I guess I am odd man out as I have only owned 2 trucks that weren't lifted. Yes you can lift a new truck such as yours and keep close to the stock axle angles.

Yes they will ride and drive different but take your time and learn the truck.

You will want to regear if you go with larger tires.

My F 150 is lifted 6" and I still pull our 32' travel trailer with it. I just don't fly down the road.

Yes with a lifted truck you will wear parts out, learn how to repair it yourself!

Here is my truck

IMG_0701.JPG

660griz

Thanks all. Lonewolf247, I pretty much do what you do. I had a 2005 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD. I put the largest tire that would fit with stock suspension and drove it for 13 years.
Body lift is out of the question.
Currently, this truck is my daily driver...well, 3 times a week I have to drive 120 miles round trip to work.
I guess I will leave the truck stock, except for the tires, until I can get a little car for the work commute. Another downside to lifting is parking at work. No more covered parking once I lift.
Dang it, I should have lifted a truck when I was younger.

Nice looking truck John C.
I can repair myself and I usually do.(except for auto transmissions)
I don't like it though.
I remember replacing the head on my 4Runner many years ago. "This won't take long." I found a complete top end at Dover. Well, a head bolt broke off, level with the block, on the way OUT. Exhaust manifold bolts came out easy.
Well, a weeks vacation, several 'Easy out' kits, a torch, tap and die, etc., later, it was done.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Somehow, On my 2500 Duramax, 2015, I lost my 2500 with my lift. What I mean is that it no longer could pull my skidsteer without squatting. So I went with air bags with remote control to compensate. In the end, other than money, I like it much better, because this gives the best ride. Essentially, it's a 1500 adjustable to what ever. I am tagged to 25,800. And I never let it wimp squat. Other than 12 ply tires, [ 35 12.50], it rides good in my opinion until tires are nearing replacing. However, my lift, I can't recall the brand, eats ball joints. And their ball joints are..... what the name where only theirs will work.... I replace at the same time I get new tires.

benellisbe

can you put a leveling kit and clear your desired tire size? I leveled my 16 F350 SRW and am running 35s. I know Ford Factory tires are 34", so that is obviously a difference, but you may be able to put a leveling kit and clear 33s without issue. BDS leveling kit with Fox shocks is less thank 1k installed from a dealer and I noticed no difference in drive quality with my truck. I do not have mud tires on it because I tow on the highway too often and will wear them out, but I did lose 1 mpg average over stock tires with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. As far as power loss, you have a Diesel which has many times more torque than it's gas counterpart. You will not notice a loss of power going up +1 or +2 in tire size. Gas engine, no doubt you will notice.

660griz

Currently, my trailer has about a 1200lb tongue weight. With the weight distribution hitch, the truck is level when hooked up. If I went with a leveling kit, I am afraid I would be 'hunting coons" while going down the road. :)

boatbuilder

Currently, my trailer has about a 1200lb tongue weight. With the weight distribution hitch, the truck is level when hooked up. If I went with a leveling kit, I am afraid I would be 'hunting coons" while going down the road. :)

My truck was bad about squatting when I would hook a trailer to it so I got stiffer springs for the back and Leveling shocks to raise the front.

It now sits 2inches higher with a slight rake empty and is level with the trailer hooked to it.

I would do it again.

Latest posts