To shoot????? Or wait for the "BIG ONE"????

H

HT2

I've been huntin' a long time, just as many others have.......I see my fair share of decent bucks throughout the year, and at times I may just overthink whether I should "shoot" or "wait" for a bigger buck........

I've shot a few deer in my day, to where I just skin him out, quarter him up, and saw off the horns.......Now, there's nothin' wrong with that, but I'm thinkin'.......WHY????? Why not let that one go just one more year and you never know what he "MIGHT" turn out to be.......

This year I've done this quite often......I've let deer go and thought later......Should I have shot that one???? Maybe......Maybe not.......

My expectations might just be to "high" for the deer we have in Georgia......Maybe not.....I know that Georgia has some really good deer, and there is always that potential for a "Boone and Crockett" in the state......Some counties have better opportunities than others, I realize that......I all the years of huntin' I've always dream of a really big buck......Maybe one day my waiting might just pay off...... ::huh:

Woody's Janitor

Tim

To get the Big Buck, you gotta hang them tampons from a "Lot Lizard" !!!!!!!

:yeah:

H

HT2

Adam.....

Tell 'em bud.....

I don't know what we're gonna do with Teddy.....

That boy just ain't right...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

H

HT2

J T.....

That's right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let them "marginal" buck go and shot you a doe......

They eat just as well..... :cool:

nchunter

yesterday i had the crosshairs on a decent 6 pointer but something was just telling me to wait till next year when he is an 8 pointer (hopefully)

E

Etter1

It suprises me how much people are forced to "think" about hunting nowadays. I haven't been hunting as long as most of you and I definitely haven't killed near as many deer as most of you but I hope it never gets to the point where I am not proud of a nice 3.5 year old buck, no matter how big the rack is. People on here don't even seem to care when they shoot a doe. For some of you, on your clubs, I guess it's like going out and picking an apple but I think we still owe it to the animals we kill to get excited about each one. I don't mean to offend anyone. Just my opinion.
-A Mediocre Deer Hunter

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Etter1 said:
It suprises me how much people are forced to "think" about hunting nowadays. I haven't been hunting as long as most of you and I definitely haven't killed near as many deer as most of you but I hope it never gets to the point where I am not proud of a nice 3.5 year old buck, no matter how big the rack is. People on here don't even seem to care when they shoot a doe. For some of you, on your clubs, I guess it's like going out and picking an apple but I think we still owe it to the animals we kill to get excited about each one. I don't mean to offend anyone. Just my opinion.
-A Mediocre Deer Hunter

Etter, I still get excited no matter what deer walks in front of me...As Bubbabuck (member) likes to say "When I don't get excited I quit hunting." Same goes for me. Just because I get excited and am proud of the deer I see does not mean I have to shoot it though. I am just as happy with a doe as I am with a small buck. Don't get me wrong though, I have no issue with someone shooting a small buck and will be the first in line to slap him on the back and give a high five...as long as it is within the law and his club rules. It is just not for me. BTW, I have never taken a true wall hanger in my years of hunting...about 16 of them...but did take several small bucks when I was younger. I made the mistake of joining a trophy club about 12-13 years ago and have really enjoyed "watching" bucks since then. I remember the first legal deer I let walk way back then almost as much as I remember all the deer I have shot.

To each his own, we are all in it for the same thing, that sheer excitement that comes along with the crunch in the leaves, just out of sight (if you are not a hunter, you do not know what I am talking about.) Sure am glad we get to keep on enjoying that.

Jim

E

Etter1

I see your point. Being a public land only hunter and having so little time to hunt (School), I get my heart pounding from watching a fawn come by. I hope that's always the case. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season. (Whatever your goals may be)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Etter1 said:
I see your point. Being a public land only hunter and having so little time to hunt (School), I get my heart pounding from watching a fawn come by. I hope that's always the case. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season. (Whatever your goals may be)

Shoot when I am on public land (managed or quota hunts) and they tag the deer for me I have no problem shooting a spike or six or basket 8. I am doing whatever the rules or management asks of me. Now during bow season on public land when it is open and I have to use my tags I will not shoot a small buck cause I know that my season could end too quickly if I happen up on a big boy opening weekend. Is that screwed up thinking or what?

Jim

H

HT2

Etter......

I didn't mean to offend you if I did.......

For me, I still get my "heart" in my throat when I first see a deer.......It can be a yearling or a mature buck......It doesn't matter.....

It does come with time in the woods though.....I am in "NO WAY" a professional hunter in any mean of the defintion.......

However, with the time that I've hunted I've kill a few good bucks, with the largest only being around a 130 class......And, that was quite a few years ago.

I was only sayin' that how "I"enjoy lettin' the smaller bucks "GO" and just watch them waiting for the Big One to come along.......

There is nothin' wrong with someone takin' a 3.5 year old deer and it only being an 8-pointer with a 15 inch spread.......Heck, if'n I had never taken one like that I'd bust him too!!!!!!!!!

I guess as you hunt longer and longer, you're expectations ::huh: :) get higher and higher.......

E

Etter1

I'm not offended in the least. Just making an observation. It takes a heck of a lot more than that Tim. And Jeff, I don't think that's bad at all. Heck, if you pass up a spike on heavily hunted public land you're probably not doing him any favors anyway......KAPOW!

Arrow3

For me, Im waiting on a good buck....At least a 3.5 year old...I just cant bring myself to shoot a small buck...If I want some to eat I shoot does..I have this luxury though bcause I have a good amout of land to hunt...

Etter?
I would shoot anything I could if I were in your situation with school...With limited time to hunt and public land only...If its brown its down...

H

HT2

Brandon......

I like the way you think......

As for shootin' whatever on public land......

I couldn't agree with you more....... :flag: :flag:

Hammer Down Etter!!!!!!!!!! :yeah: :yeah:

stumpman

Banned
well i guess yall aint never hunted in FL well your lucky i watched 2 does tonight and one of my boys shot a spike and i was proud of him that buck wont taste any different than a doe especially once they get it ground into burger if your waiting on a trophy down here youll wait a long while we only get to shoot does for 1 week thats week after next look out does the frying pan is waiting yall let all them bucks walk and maybee some will walk all the way down heresmall bucks wont make it down here neighbors will shoot them out of there yards .

Duff

I sure think you'll get the buck your looking for sooner if you let the smaller ones go.

I get to hunt a piece of property my friend looks after, once or twice a year. By far the best place I've ever hunted. The first few years it was tuff letting bucks walk, especially when they are as big and some bigger than anything I've ever killed, but my bud made it clear that he wanted the 2 1/2 yrd old bucks to walk. Now I think nothing of it.
I sure I haven't killed near as many deer as some people here, but to me, it is a waste to shoot a small buck. Let me make that clear, for me to shoot a small buck-not everyone. I've got a box of cut offs in my basement that sits in the corner, for what?? To collect dust.
We only eat 1 deer or so per year, so I usually try to get one in the freeze w/ my bow, then start looking for mr. big. Besides, I'm lazy, and it a lot of work foolin w/them things :bounce:

Last edited: