To strut or not to strut...

swamppirate

How many of you guys use a struttin' decoy? I usually use a jake (non-aggressive) and hen set up...been thinking about trying the strutter this year....any thoughts or comments?

Gadget

I use a spread of strutting decoys, modified two pretty boys so they are in a fighting position one on top of the other, have a B-Mobil mounted to a remote controlled car so I can drive it around the other two that are fighting, throw in a couple jakes and hens for good measure, pop up the double bull and be ready to shoot............ :cool:

swamppirate

Man...you must get to the woods about two hours before daylight just to set all that up....I'd like to see that set up.....please send a pic!!:biggrin2:

trkyhntr70

I use a spread of strutting decoys, modified two pretty boys so they are in a fighting position one on top of the other, have a B-Mobil mounted to a remote controlled car so I can drive it around the other two that are fighting, throw in a couple jakes and hens for good measure, pop up the double bull and be ready to shoot............ :cool:

Thats the same set up Jody Hawk uses:bounce:

nhancedsvt

Banned

So now the secret's out on how you kill so many birds every year...:rofl:

swamppirate

Maybe somehting like this??:confused:

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 178

Jody Hawk

Trkyhntr70 wears out a different turkey gun every season using this system. Three years ago when I first met him, he had a Remington 870 pump, then two years ago, he got a Winchester X2 shooting Nitro shells, then back to the 870 pump for the 2010 season and this year he has a brand spanking new 870 pump shooting #4 lead. :cool:

trkyhntr70

Trkyhntr70 wears out a different turkey gun every season using this system. Three years ago when I first met him, he had a Remington 870 pump, then two years ago, he got a Winchester X2 shooting Nitro shells, then back to the 870 pump for the 2010 season and this year he has a brand spanking new 870 pump shooting #4 lead. :cool:

Wrong,
I think you forgot about my new M2 with deltapoint sight:biggrin2:

swamppirate

M2.....and a deltapoint......???? To fancy for me. Old 870 and steel bead.

Gadget

Man...you must get to the woods about two hours before daylight just to set all that up....I'd like to see that set up.....please send a pic!!:biggrin2:

Nah, only takes me a few minutes to setup, I pull them around on a small trailer attached to my 4wheeler.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Nah, only takes me a few minutes to setup, I pull them around on a small trailer attached to my 4wheeler.

Wht about crickets?:D

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
How many of you guys use a struttin' decoy? I usually use a jake (non-aggressive) and hen set up...been thinking about trying the strutter this year....any thoughts or comments?

To answer your question, I have never used a strutting decoy. I just don't want to and doubt I ever will. I think you may also scare off some birds IMO.

Gut_Pile

To answer your question, I have never used a strutting decoy. I just don't want to and doubt I ever will. I think you may also scare off some birds IMO.

We all know that people who practice QTM wouldn't shoot birds that shy from a full strut decoy anyways because they probably only have 1" spurs, and true QTM advocates only shoot 4yr old birds or older. :bounce:

trkyburns

You really need two people to make this setup work... One person drives the remote control car while the other does a continuous fighting purr until the gobbler or gobblers get within range. TEM2 showed me this trick. We killed some monsters down on cedar creek with this setup.

Gadget

You really need two people to make this setup work... One person drives the remote control car while the other does a continuous fighting purr until the gobbler or gobblers get within range. TEM2 showed me this trick. We killed some monsters down on cedar creek with this setup.

The beautiful thing about this setup is that you can often limit out on your first hunt by killing three gobblers in one shot, Georgia is one of the few states that allow you to do this. If you get one of those big outhouse pop up blinds you can easily fit three guys in there; if 9 gobblers come in you can kill all 9 at one time.................. Awesome!!:cool::cool:

When your in the pop-up you don't have to worry about moving, we sit in there with our iphones posting updates on Facebook waiting for the gobblers.