Tobacco cessation condition

Dialer

My DW has been in need of a surgical procedure which requires her to be 90 days tobacco free. She’s been smoking since her teen years, and her doctor gave her the ultimatum: Quit smoking or die of your condition ( large hernia on her left hip). She tried all of the stop smoking aids to no avail. Well 76 days ago, She went cold turkey on a Saturday. We were at a park with our RV when she suddenly couldn’t hold herself up. She had been tobacco free for about a day and simply passed out at the table. I immediately thought she had acquired some kind of narcotic from her friend as she has done before, got angry with her, and put her to bed. 17 hours later, she’s still out. Fed up, I took her to the ER where they immediately admitted her. Urinalysis revealed no drugs In her system, (I felt horrible), and all tests were negative. Initial prognosis was a stroke, but no damage found. 2 days still hospitalized, the next prognosis was TIA, or a small “transient” stroke. Now, 2 1/2 months later, she still has tremors, slurred speech, and lack of concentration. Some days are better than others for her, neurologist still adjusting her meds. Anyone hear of this???

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Those are some serious withdrawals symptoms she is going through.

T-N-T

Never heard of that.
My grandfather smoked 2 packs a day for close to 30 years and laid them down after a heart attack. Cold turkey and never went back.

I sure hope she gets over it soon and gets that hernia patched up with a fast recovery

Dub

Was the stroke a result of the quitting or of the years of smoking itself ? Or some other health related issue ?

Hernias are nothing to play with. I've had three repaired. Once they get to a certain point the surgeons don't like to wait around to repair them. Having to wait an additional 90 days in order to get cleaned up sounds like an added risk.

I smoked for a dozen years years...fairly heavily, too. Gave 'em up cold turkey shortly after my son was born. My only regret then....and now....was for ever starting the cancer sticks to begin with.

Best wishes to her. Hoping she can get all of these health threats dealt with ASAP.

JackSprat

Initial prognosis was a stroke, but no damage found. 2 days still hospitalized, the next prognosis was TIA, or a small “transient” stroke. Now, 2 1/2 months later, she still has tremors, slurred speech, and lack of concentration. Some days are better than others for her, neurologist still adjusting her meds. Anyone hear of this???

Absolutely. Not all uncommon among older people. My SO deals with the rehab part, plus the FIL and MIL and father had "minor" strokes. My father worked several more years.

Possibly the cold turkey altered her blood chemistry and caused the stroke, but I doubt it.

Most likely an unfortunate coincidence. If it is a stroke (and it sounds like it is) it was going to happen sooner or later.

rospaw

Mother smoked 2-3 packs plus a day for 54 years. Got a good cold/flu bug one week and decided to quit. Never smoked again. She is now coming up on 89 yrs old (1930). 5'2" and 145 lbs and in great health. Takes two pills a day, no pain meds, eats WHATEVER she wants. Shops with the best of them (my wife) every other day and never uses a scooter/cain. When she stands up she needs a couple of seconds before putting it in drive, stepping off a curb she needs a arm, 2 sets of knees one leg was a botched job. No exercise other than shopping and maybe going to watch the kids games. Her voice doesn't sound like a smoker. She shakes her head at the younger folks riding the store scooters. A lot of pride goes into EVERY step she takes ..... refuses to be babied ! Great MOM and yeah i am very proud of her.

My DW has been in need of a surgical procedure which requires her to be 90 days tobacco free. She’s been smoking since her teen years, and her doctor gave her the ultimatum: Quit smoking or die of your condition ( large hernia on her left hip). She tried all of the stop smoking aids to no avail. Well 76 days ago, She went cold turkey on a Saturday. We were at a park with our RV when she suddenly couldn’t hold herself up. She had been tobacco free for about a day and simply passed out at the table. I immediately thought she had acquired some kind of narcotic from her friend as she has done before, got angry with her, and put her to bed. 17 hours later, she’s still out. Fed up, I took her to the ER where they immediately admitted her. Urinalysis revealed no drugs In her system, (I felt horrible), and all tests were negative. Initial prognosis was a stroke, but no damage found. 2 days still hospitalized, the next prognosis was TIA, or a small “transient” stroke. Now, 2 1/2 months later, she still has tremors, slurred speech, and lack of concentration. Some days are better than others for her, neurologist still adjusting her meds. Anyone hear of this???

So she is in need of a surgery for a reason. Any possibility that the needed surgery for whatever the problem, could be related to a stroke? Never in 32 years of being in the medical field, have I heard of anyone suffering more than minor irritants/complications from quitting smoking cold turkey. Nicotine withdrawal can cause some issues but more are physiological than something as serious as what you're describing. Something else is amiss. TIAs do not usually cause lasting damage or long term effects like you're describing unless someone suffers multiple concurrent TIAs. Sounds like they're missing something. I'd also ask what drugs they tested for. There are quite a few out there that will not show up on a regular drug screen, they have to be specifically tested for.

Then again, if it were me, I'd be trucking my spouse to a different doctor for a second or even third opinion if she's still not showing improvement and you're not getting better answers than this.

Prayers and good luck.

Cwb19

I'm no dr but my wife was having some of the same symptoms slurred speech blackouts.after numerous Nuro Drs. One decided to do an EEG and discovered she was having seizures due to lung cancer anyways after four months of **** we just got report her cancer is in remission .believe me you have to stay on these Drs.to get ansewers