Today is Viet Nam veterans day

Resica

My father was lucky. He was an officer in the Air Force from 62-71. They never sent him over. They said it was because stuff he knew. Had an uncle over there in the Army who was in a Hawk missile battery . Another uncle was at Chu Lai(Marine Corps air base). He was a Pratt and Whitney jet engine guy. He said the first day he was there, the siren sounded for incoming mortars. He dove into a bunker that turned out to be an ammo bunker facepalm: .

God bless all those folks that served over there!!!!

Glenn2399

What upsets me about the Viet Nam vets is the way the government dragged their feet concerning Agent Orange exposure. :mad: Maybe they learned their lesson because they seem to be on top of the "burn pit" health issues from the sandbox wars. You can't cover things up or ignore them forever.
I agree but when they figured it out, they (VA) did it right. Agent Orange is presumptive. If you you were in country for one day, it is presumed you were exposed to Agent Orange.

oldfella1962

My father was lucky. He was an officer in the Air Force from 62-71. They never sent him over. They said it was because stuff he knew. Had an uncle over there in the Army who was in a Hawk missile battery . Another uncle was at Chu Lai(Marine Corps air base). He was a Pratt and Whitney jet engine guy. He said the first day he was there, the siren sounded for incoming mortars. He dove into a bunker that turned out to be an ammo bunker facepalm: .

God bless all those folks that served over there!!!!
:LOL: Seen that, but in the Air Force during a training alert at Lakenheath England. There was a simulated MIG strafing run attack on the flightline and a group of airmen "took cover" under a parked trailer full of 500# bombs. facepalm:

crackerdave

I salute those who served.

My number in the draft lottery was 11,which got me a bus trip to Atlanta for the induction exam.My bad hearing from gunfire,loud music,chainsaws,etc. got me a 4f classification,or I would have gone to Viet Nam.

Ruger roo

Man, I wish I had more photos of my dad from his tour. Almost everything he brought back was burned up in a house fire.
I only have a few things from my dads stuff he basically got rid of everything as soon as he got back. But the best things I still have are the stories he’s told me over the years.

dslc6487

My lottery number was 13. A low and unlucky number. However, I was already over their in the 198th Infantry Brigade when the lottery came out.
Live with some of the horror every day.............

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
God bless all that served in Nam. Gotta special place for them as I figured I was going to go. Tad to young, graduated HS in ‘74.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My brother was in Vietnam with the 1st Air Cav (B/2/5) December 1968 - December 1969. Thank you to all who have served. God bless.
I concur

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
God bless all that served in Nam. Gotta special place for them as I figured I was going to go. Tad to young, graduated HS in ‘74.
Yes God Bless those who served.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Dad was working in the rolling mills in Cleveland when I graduated. Lots of work brought immigrants of all types to Ohio back then. My number came up so I went down and took the AF exams and was accepted. The first year in I got orders to Vietnam three times. I hadn’t finished training so the orders got canceled each time. The war wound down as I gained enough qualification to deploy. Due to population many from Ohio were drafted. 3,000 died and over 20,000 wounded from that state alone. Some of my school mates are in that number. God Bless them and all who served there.

cramer

My lottery number was 13. A low and unlucky number. However, I was already over their in the 198th Infantry Brigade when the lottery came out.
Live with some of the horror every day.............
God bless you. Thank you for your service.