too young but went out doing what he loved

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I don't know about y'all, but I wouldn't mind taking my last breath like the old guy I referenced above.

:cheers: Fellows!

GeorgiaGlockMan

Not me.

I'd prefer to die at just shy of 100 flying an airplane upside down thru a barn.

Getting stepped-on/crushed by a bull isn't the bad part. It was loosing a young life.

I agree with the "callused" guys; bullrider went out doing what "he" loved

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Not me.

I'd prefer to die at just shy of 100 flying an airplane upside down thru a barn.

Getting stepped-on/crushed by a bull isn't the bad part. It was loosing a young life.

I agree with the "callused" guys; bullrider went out doing what "he" loved

That wouldn't be too bad either Glock. :bounce: :rockon:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Tragic, but always a lurking possibility.
I find the “he died doing what he loved” line pretty weak consolation for the deceased’s family and friends. I don’t think I want to be taken out by a Titleist golf ball to the brain housing or a Zara Spook to the jugular. Something you love shouldn’t kill you. But I understand their passion for their sport.

In my younger days I made upwards of 1,000 skydives over a 12 year period. I lost several friends to skydiving accidents including my very best friend. I encountered 3 malfunctions myself. We were all young so the loss was extra painful for us and their families. I wish they had lived to old age but I know they died with a full heart experiencing the passion of life to its' top. I know that because I did it with them. If I can't die in my sleep that's the way I want to go. Even if I have to settle for a slow, miserable decline to death's door I will be up for the struggle 100%. I've just never been able to tolerate boredom.

Wide Earp

Jeff C.

Okay, I removed the offending phrase - my error. Still doesn’t sound comforting to someone needing to make funeral arrangements for a loved one. There are no words to make it “better”. I just don’t see the value of the words. Don’t be offended.
so you rather go out after a long debilitating disease instead of golfing, u think that's anymore comforting to the ones left behind, maybe u just don't have a real understanding of compassion and lovin' what you're doing????

Wide Earp

Did I really say that? Sorry, but I don’t think you’re understanding what I said. Please read it again with an open mind, with no preconceived notion that I’m a heartless ogre. Civil discourse is a wonderful thing, but don’t read into my post anything I didn’t put in it? Cheers!
ok let me start again, not much we can ever say when someone suffers a losswhat I should have said was maybe we just have differing opions on what to say it's like Dale sr said about Neil Bonnet when asked by Ned Jarrett what he had to say about some folks blaming him for gett Neil killed Dalr replied "if he had not gotten a car from me he would have got one from someone else that was how he done things, at least he went out doing what he loved" as did Sr a few years later, I mean no offense my man just sounded a little condescending maybe I need to think more and type less? CHEERS AND HAPPY HUNTIN' (y)

Wide Earp

Not trying to drag this out (I know, too late!), but have been giving some thought to your scenario. Not arguing, just asking your opinion.

If I do end up debilitated, broken, in a hospital bed for years, and my family/friends visited me often, witnessing my pain and hopelessness, would they not view my eventual death as a “blessing”, in that the suffering has ended? My death would likely put them at peace, knowing there is no more pain.

On the other hand, suppose I’m out on Lake Lanier in my boat, healthy and full of enthusiasm and love for my passion - fishing! Some idiot, not paying attention, cuts close to me with his cigarette boat, I swerve to avoid him, get thrown out of my boat, and I get run over and killed by my own boat. Still healthy, but life lost doing what I loved. An unexpected accident.

Scenario 1 - nobody could say I died doing what I loved.
Scenario 2 - I died doing what I loved.

I really think my loved ones would be more comfortable with my death in the first instance. The second instance, a sudden accident, is certainly more tragic, and comforting my survivors here would be pretty difficult. But, I guess we all need to find suitable words to speak to those left behind when those times come. If it’s from your heart, it should be well received.

Your thoughts?
I do see your point, it is thought provoking but until my great grandsons were born I would have said the quicker the better but now I would have to retract that but I would rather all my loved ones thought I was enjoying myself when I go and creamate me and get it over with than to be viewed for a couple of days dragging it because somone will eventually say "don't he look good?" because I will not, I will look dead, BUT I do not want to rush it!

Wide Earp

I do see your point, it is thought provoking but until my great grandsons were born I would have said the quicker the better but now I would have to retract that but I would rather all my loved ones thought I was enjoying myself when I go and creamate me and get it over with than to be viewed for a couple of days dragging it because somone will eventually say "don't he look good?" because I will not, I will look dead, BUT I do not want to rush it!
while it seems better for the ones left behind to have time to say good-bye if it's gotta be sudden I hope someone can say "ol' fatboy went out doin' what he loved!"

Wide Earp

Then, by God, I hope that’s how it goes for you. I would rather welcome death, not be surprised by it. Nite!
I hear you my friend, to each his own, I had rather welcome it if it's anytime in the next 20 years but let me clarify, if I go suddenly I hope it's in a plane crash into a mountain side with my back to the cockpit sippin' a good bourbon on my 6th trip from the tropics that year at age 101 after being retired 45 years traveling at a brisk 700 miles an hour just after the pilot sayin' "uh oh, this is not good!"

Mexican Squealer

riding bulls is dangerous. You might die. To me, it’s a stupid activity with known consequences. Recon this fella knew the consequences.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
There is only one way to get good bull riding and that’s to be plum stupid, nod your head while tied to the meanest bull and thinking you might just be there for eight more seconds!
He knew that after the first ride.

Wide Earp

fine line 'twixt brave and stupid but some of us have flirted with it before but to his family and friends it makes him no less dead, so let's not call them stupid as most of us have done"stupid" stuff but got luckier than he.

riding bulls is dangerous. You might die. To me, it’s a stupid activity with known consequences. Recon this fella knew the consequences.

Living in Atlanta is dangerous. You might die. To me, it's a stupid activity with known consequences.

Living in Atlanta is probably more dangerous than bull riding.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I hear you my friend, to each his own, I had rather welcome it if it's anytime in the next 20 years but let me clarify, if I go suddenly I hope it's in a plane crash into a mountain side with my back to the cockpit sippin' a good bourbon on my 6th trip from the tropics that year at age 101 after being retired 45 years traveling at a brisk 700 miles an hour just after the pilot sayin' "uh oh, this is not good!"

So you do want to go out doing something you enjoy! ::ke::bounce:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Living in Atlanta is dangerous. You might die. To me, it's a stupid activity with known consequences.

Living in Atlanta is probably more dangerous than bull riding.

You are not very well informed. Stay out of Atlanta anyway, we got enough people here already.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You are not very well informed. Stay out of Atlanta anyway, we got enough people here already.

He's just not up for the exciting life.:wink::bounce:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
We could take this thread to whole NEW level if y'all want to, but I'll spare the Moderators. :rofl: