Topwater popper color

Khondker

Quick question, what topwater popper colors work best in very early morning bass fishing at Lake Lanier?

Thanks in advance.

jrmcc

Location, Lure speed, loop knot/split ring for action, And line choice are more important in a topwater plug than color. It's a reaction strike and really the only color the bass would see is the middle of the bottom of the lure. That being said pick a light or translucent color and run with it.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Point blank, here's your answers:
Cloudy/overcast/rainy days: use solid colors either in white or bright colors like white, bone, and something with a little chartreuse or hot orange in it. Also, rattles are better during this time.

Sunny/partly cloudy days: Use translucent and see through colors like ghost minnow, ghost sexy shad, clear, or you can also use something with flash in it. Chrome is your friend on sunny days. Silent baits work better at this time UNLESS you're trying to bring the fish up in the water column, or they're already up and aggressively feeding.

Here's some good options for the actual baits:
River2Sea Rover in bone

Reaction Innovations Vixen in bone

Heddon spook Jr in chartreuse head, black body with gold insert Or chartreuse head white body for cloudy days, clear and chrome for sunny days.

Other good walking baits include the evergreen showerblows, lucky craft Sammy, and Gunfish, Strike King sexy dawg, and storm arashi top walker.

As far as poppers like you asked, I love the Yellow Magic, yellow magic Magnum, the Lobina Lures RICO, megabass pop x and popmax and you CAN'T FISH LANIER without a storm rattling chug bug. And I mean in every size too. Small one when they're feeding on tiny bait, regular one when they're feeding aggressively on larger bluebacks, and the big one for striper. If you know how to fish one right, they flat get bit.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Here's one of many spotted Bass I've taken from Lanier from the bank on topwater. This particular day, was rainy and overcast. Just trying to add some validity to what I've said. Wouldn't say it if it weren't true!

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_220101.jpg
    IMG_20190812_220101.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 24

Khondker

Point blank, here's your answers:
Cloudy/overcast/rainy days: use solid colors either in white or bright colors like white, bone, and something with a little chartreuse or hot orange in it. Also, rattles are better during this time.

Sunny/partly cloudy days: Use translucent and see through colors like ghost minnow, ghost sexy shad, clear, or you can also use something with flash in it. Chrome is your friend on sunny days. Silent baits work better at this time UNLESS you're trying to bring the fish up in the water column, or they're already up and aggressively feeding.

Here's some good options for the actual baits:
River2Sea Rover in bone

Reaction Innovations Vixen in bone

Heddon spook Jr in chartreuse head, black body with gold insert Or chartreuse head white body for cloudy days, clear and chrome for sunny days.

Other good walking baits include the evergreen showerblows, lucky craft Sammy, and Gunfish, Strike King sexy dawg, and storm arashi top walker.

As far as poppers like you asked, I love the Yellow Magic, yellow magic Magnum, the Lobina Lures RICO, megabass pop x and popmax and you CAN'T FISH LANIER without a storm rattling chug bug. And I mean in every size too. Small one when they're feeding on tiny bait, regular one when they're feeding aggressively on larger bluebacks, and the big one for striper. If you know how to fish one right, they flat get bit.

I am planning to buy Storm Rattlin Chug Bug.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I am planning to buy Storm Rattlin Chug Bug.
Grab yourself a chrome and blue, change the hooks and you're golden ? don't use the trebles they come with. If I had to suggest some replacements, I'd say size 4 owner or mustad hooks. Regular on the front, feathers on the back.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
And another tip, spotted bass are gluttonous eating machines. All they do all day and all night long is swim and eat. When you catch one, they often times spit up what they've been eating. If you get one with a 5 inch blueback herring in his throat, go big. If he spits out a tiny shad, go small.

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_222834.jpg
    IMG_20190812_222834.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 14

TroyBoy30

They always bite better in the sun. Bout the only one I throw. Like em so much I bought a ton off ebay

s-l300.jpg

bvi

The color thing is really overestimated, actually it is all about marketing and up sell fishermen. I have been catching bass on black, chartreuse, mat tiger, white or bone, orange, red, all sort of translucent colors, etc. It is way more important to find active fish, then to pick "the right" color. All colors do work the same for me. The only exception would be the flashy finish under bright sun, that color might spook some fish.

28gage

Night or day, cloudy or sun, Yellow Magic in bone.

Killinstuff

I take Pop-R's, sand them down giving them a thinner profile with less cup to the mouth, then repaint them and add a chicken feather tail that I tie up. They are killers and I always have one on a rod. The black back, silver sides and white belly is #1 and I like the clear with chartreuse back and metal flake next. I have a fair number of high dollar Japanese poppers but the Pop-R catches more fish hands down. 6'6" spinning rod with 8# test I can skip a Pop-R way back under docks. Also my 3rd option bait for spawning fish.

Attachments

• 20190816_063238_resized.jpg
    20190816_063238_resized.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 11