Tracking Dog Recoveries (2016-2017)

CNC

Congrats on everyone's recoveries.........:cheers:

Slasher.......What kind of holster is that you're wearing? Is it working out pretty good for you? I have one that carries under my arm but I like the looks of that one you've got.

leftystar

This my squirrel dog/ blood trail dog / buddy.Thought I needed to just stick to squirrel with her cause she good at it.
But a buddy called today and I took her we trailed her up and had her bayed in no time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-09-18-45-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-10-09-18-45-15.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,775

Mr. Fishunt

Thanks to Gary and Sierra for Finding My Buck

Just thought I would share a daylight pic of the buck at the taxidermist...

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

All,
I have bow hunted for 27 years and it has been many years since I have wounded a deer and not been able to locate it. Unfortunately, I lost a doe early in the season that jumped in the river after a long tracking job with Wildlands.
At 9:43 AM yesterday morning I had a beautiful Spalding County buck come 10 yards down wind from me. It was walking at a steady pace and I came to full draw before it entered the shooting lane. It all happened so quick that I neglected to bleat to stop it. When I released my arrow, it hit behind the rib cage straight in the gut. I was immediately sickened by the proposition of a long wait and I wondered whether or not I would find the deer.
After 45 minutes, I climbed down from my tree and went to my arrow and confirmed that it was indeed a gut shot.
Due to the fact that the deer ran down wind and a confirmed gut shot, I elected to back out and come back later. The last thing I wanted to do was push a wounded deer and not be able to find it.
I came back at 5:30 with my hunting partner and we searched for about a half hour and found no blood, hair, or tracks.
I then called Gary Schloesser 678-544-7822 and explained the situation to him and he agreed to come out with his tracking dog to help me find the deer.
We searched for two hours and never found a drop of blood. His dog was definitely up for the task, but the entry and exit holes from the arrows were obviously plugged and there were no fluids to track. The wind was also not cooperating, as it was swirling and there was no constant wind for the dog to get down wind of any potential scent. At about 9:00 PM, we were approximately 300 yards away from my stand and I apologized to Gary and thanked him for his time and said it was time to call it quits.
We took a few steps towards my stand and his dog stopped and turned her head and immediately showed the first strong body language indicating that she smelled a deer. She pulled Gary into a thick briar patch. I skirted the briar patch and walked about 20 yards and low and behold, there was my buck.
There was absolutely no way I would have found that buck without Gary and Sierra's assistance.
I went from high to low to low to low to a great high in 11 hours time.

The moral of this story is this, when in doubt, pull out. Don't push a gut shot deer, wait as long as possible to start tracking and CALL IN A TRACKING DOG!

Thanks again to Gary and Sierra and my hunting partner, Chris.

I also thank the landowner for giving me the privilege to hunt his property.

Regards,
Mr. Fishunt

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • IMG_1523.PNG
    IMG_1523.PNG
    969.1 KB · Views: 1,279
Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

Great tracking jobs on some fine recoveries by hero dogs & owners.

Appreciate the good posts.

jerry russell

A fun recovery that was this young mans first bowkill. He did it all right after a gut shot and did not push the deer. Even so the deer went 500 yards. Tracked across a hot, dry cut hay field in Forsyth County.

A cheese burger for ole Bear Dog on the way home. Good dog!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,457
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 1,451

rvick

Not every track is routine. 10 hr old track (we couldn't get on the track at 6 hrs like we try to do on gut shots. Thru and across old beaver swamps and dams for 600 yards to a fenced property with big dogs that we couldn't get permission to track across. We backed out and drove around to the highway hoping that the deer had crossed onto property where we had permission to enter. After walking up and down the side of the highway, Annie cued on a spot at the fence. After crossing we had gone about 50 yards when we found a drop of blood. About 200 yards in the thick stuff we had the deer. More than one way to skin a cat. Deer travelled 1000 yards as the crow flies. Congrats to the hunter.

Attachments

• _20161010_213301.jpg
    _20161010_213301.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,456

Idahomike

adventure

Nice buck in Roberta,shot in neck. Neck shots are very low percentage recovery,either they die almost instantly or they usually live. Track was only 7 hours old,but in this heat and depending on the environment ,7 hours can be a challenge but not usually. She took the track out with the usual challenges of tracking a jumped wounded deer.we stayed around 70 yards behind her,to give her room to work. At around 500 yrds we crossed into the neighbors property,per my request they had contacted the land owner,so we were good to go!another 500 yrds she jumped him,he had laid down in a wet area next to a pond. She swam him across the pond and out the corner of the pond,we saw a small alligator in the pond. Alligators are a concern they like eating dogs. She ran him another 500 yrds and bayed him up,this told me the buck was mortally wounded.we were hurrying to the bay up got within 100 yrds and he broke bay. I turned Jake loose to give her a hand.they ran the buck rt past one of the hunters,he said the buck was hurting and not running very fast,"good news" further verifying a fatally wounded deer!!another 300 yrds down into a swamp and they had him bayed up solid, we snuck in on stealth mode, That ole buck was doing his darndest to hook the dogs. This isn't their first rodeo And that wasn't going to happen.lucy has caught bayed up and allowed us to dispatch over 120 deer out of the 344 plus deer she has put on the tail gate over the last 5 yrs. Stuck the deer again and he as down,saving a fatally wounded deer,a slow death or possibly being torn apart alive,by a Pack of coyotes! I checked out the wound and i have no doubt he would have eventually died.

Attachments

• IMG_20161008_184836-1280x908.jpg
    IMG_20161008_184836-1280x908.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 1,425
Last edited:

rvick

Congrats, Mike and hunter. Good dog work. Nice buck. Don't know why or if you've ever noticed it, but neck shots (gun and bow) always seem to bay up at almost exactly a mile.

Idahomike

I believe most neck shot deer with a bow live,this buck was shot in neck,couple years ago and is still alive today.

Attachments

• IMG951979.jpg
    IMG951979.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,348

Flaustin1

Stella Mae with a nice, easy practice recovery.

Attachments

• IMG_20161012_074945014.jpg
    IMG_20161012_074945014.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,357

Idahomike

nice bucks

12 hours,11 pts,mostly routine

Attachments

• IMG_20161014_081122014-1024x576.jpg
    IMG_20161014_081122014-1024x576.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2,431

Idahomike

odd buck

17 hours,ten point,had to swim wide creek to continue tracking.

Attachments

• IMG_20161013_105901868-1280x720.jpg
    IMG_20161013_105901868-1280x720.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,297

Ranmcnally

40 minutes roughly, shot was back and no blood after 100 yards. Mike, Neil and Lucy made quick work of him.

Attachments

• 13984.jpg
    13984.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,213

Idahomike

View attachment 887642
My Walker Dog found another one for me

Is he open on track? How old is he,i hunter mt lion,bear,coon,bobcat with my treeing walkers and coyotes with running walkers,,for deer tracking I use Texas lacys..

Attachments

• wyolion2_193lbs.jpg
    wyolion2_193lbs.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,177

Idahomike

Just a quick reminder,i would much rather track at night than in the day.
Cooler temps for the dogs to work in
Less traffic
Fewer people in the woods
Wounded deer hold up better
Less chance of spoiled meat
Less chance coyotes and other critters will get you deer

camotoy

You the man Mike Lucy found my buck shot from a ground blind not much blood at all Found arrow with good blood backed out and called Mike . Lucy found him in less than a hour and about 800 yards !!!! That's 3 bow bucks in 3 years they have help me find my bucks !!!

Idahomike

You the man Mike Lucy found my buck shot from a ground blind not much blood at all Found arrow with good blood backed out and called Mike . Lucy found him in less than a hour and about 800 yards !!!! That's 3 bow bucks in 3 years they have help me find my bucks !!!

Thanks,you are one heck of a hunter or you should buy lotto tickets,every year you put big boys down!!