Tractor purchase questions: hp, drive and brand

SlipperyHill Mo

Got a 4wd Kubota MX5200 with HST, it works grewat and is big enogh for me.Only pulled a 6' Bush Hog. Would definitely go with 4WD. I think Kubota has a 5600 model.

skoalman04

Im afraid you will miss 4wd since you've had it before. Id go with Kubota. I have a l3901 fel and love it. I went back and forth between it and JD. The price point was a little more on the Kubota but I like the metal hood and felt good with the Kubota power. Too much plastic on new model JD tractors for me

doomtrpr_z71

Personally I'd rather have 4wd and less HP than more HP and 2wd. If you're set on a Deere I'd look at the 5065 or the top tier 4 series. I've used the same series Kubota and prefer the yanmar to the Kubota. I prefer the Augusta made 5 series to the Indian made 5 series Deeres. The Indian models aren't bad tractors, they did weird stuff with the hydraulic line routing at one time but I'd much rather have it than a Chinese made Massey or a new Holland that's a rebadged L's.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
1. Big Green is overpriced.
2. My tractor mechanic has nothing nice to say about Mahindras.
3. I would not sacrifice 4WD on a tractor for anything.

cr00241

Got a M6060 4wd with FEL. Does everything I need to do. The price was much better then the John Deere. Never owned a John Deere so cant say anything about the reliability. I haven't had any issues with the Kubota and I have put it in some sketchy situations already. I have pushed down trees with the loader and made some trails. Pulls a 10ft bush hog fine. Will bog down some in real thick grass but recovers quickly. No issues bogging down with the 6ft bushhog. Pulls a 10ft harrow and the 6ft fine.

Jim Boyd

Thank you folks, for all the comments.

Keep them coming.

I have been a truck mechanic or manager my whole life (I serve as a trainer for technicians now) so my next comments may seem like picking fly crap out of pepper - so take some of them with a grain of salt.

I should note also, I take very good care of my stuff maintenance wise, but I use it like I mean it....

Here are the things that are not great about the Kubota:

Springs under seat stay broken (I am just over 200 lbs so I don’t think that is the issue)
Clutch linkage under floor very susceptible to damage from impact
Steering linkages are in front of the axle and are very susceptible to damage (when they get bent, I put chain on bucket and pull them back straight)
Front grill and side covers very susceptible to damage (plastic)
Front 4wd tires do not like to stay on the rims – had to tube both of them
Unit runs in 4wd about 25% of the time and the front tires are far more worn than the rears (no rocks – only sand and light clay)
Breather system in fuel cap prone to get stopped up
For one reason or another, the radiator does not like to stay full – unit does not run hot but the radiator wants to run about 1.5” low
Sight glass for hydraulics did not stay very clear
All painted panels (hood and fender) sun faded quickly and the unit has been in the barn its entire life
Seat is cracked and torn (think the tractor is a 2007 model – but, not stored in sun)
Paint on the bucket was substandard and peeled
OEM filters are expensive
8 forward speeds, ratios are too wide spread. It needs 12 ratios (more gears on main shaft or another range)
Slow road speed (10 mph maybe?)
Poorly designed set knob on 3 pt lift lever
Have to partially remove air filter housing to remove radiator screen for cleaning

Some of these are nit-picking but if I could redesign them, I would.

Here are the things that are great:

Strong engine
Easy to service / PM
Excellent brakes
Starts and idles very easily, even when cold – ie: 30 F or lower
Clutch is smooth and strong
4wd and diff lock work great
Ergonomics are near perfect
No fluid usage or loss of any kind (other than radiator does not like to stay full) – no leaks
No engine blow by (just under 900 hours, I think)

It is a great little tractor, it is just too small for what I need to do in total. I plan to keep it, particularly since it has 4wd and FEL.

Have reached out to the Kubota dealer that sold me the 32 hp and asked them to quote what I need.

Just some background…

Lilly001

I would go 4wd and loader.
I use mine for things I never would have imagined.
And the 4wd help when tilling.
I own an older Kabota L3000dt with 4wd and loader.
It's been great. My only repairs other than the hoses and cylinder rebuild on the loader has been the neutral start switch.
It is easy to transport and works like a larger tractor.
My JD 5065e is a beast. It is all the hp I can use. It's also 4wd and loader equipped.
When I bought it JD had a 0% for 60 month deal so that steered me there instead of Kabota.
The tractor does have issues.
The starter was replaced under warrantee.
The FL hoses go under the side and while they are protected by a cage, the cage gets beat up pretty good.
The 4wd switch that lights the indicator light on the dash hangs by itself under the tractor and has been ripped off so often I won't replace it.
I have used it for heavy land clearing with a grapple, so my use is probalybon the extream.
For tilling its great.
My buddy has a similar size Kabota that I have a lot of seat hours on and it is similar in use except the FL lines are better protected.
If I were to buy today JD and Kabota would be my first look.

2wd turns tighter and my preference, unless getting one with a FEL. Another note for the 2wd is you would need to upgrade to an m model to get the power reverser (in the green version anyway). and after having a larger tractor with it it is a must have. Also I have found that the JD's are usually a lot heavier than the kabota's. as well as a lot larger engine." theres no replacement for displacement" Also, contrary to what most people say when I was looking for a 100+ hp machine 3 years ago the Deere and kabota where priced very similar and Deere was offering 0% and kabota was not.

Jim Boyd

Great comments, folks and much appreciated.

Here is what I hear so far: brand loyalty.

Sounds like if you have a Deere, you love it.

If you have a Kubota, you love it too.

These are likely the only brands I would choose - and I have to be careful not to run the bill too high.

That said, I am probably going to be on one of the economy tractors.

No cab.

No loader - I already have one that has done everything I need to do.

Brand, drive and hp (within limits) are still on the table.

Appreciate all feedback.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We have three New Hollands we use and abuse all day every day. We got rid of the JDS. Junk. And expensive to repair and maintain. It's just a name gimmick that too many people fall for.

There is no substitute for 4wd. And three gear ranges. It's like getting twice as much tractor. It really makes that much difference.

stringmusic

These are likely the only brands I would choose - and I have to be careful not
In my opinion you’re selling yourself short by not at least looking at some other brands. Just because JD sells a lot of shirts and hats and have been around a long time doesn’t mean they are making the best tractor for your money.

I did hours and hours worth of research and ended up with a Mahindra, not as big as the one you’re looking for right now but I absolutely love the tractor.

I’d suggest YouTubing tractor comparisons and watch as many videos as you can stomach.

From what I know, and I’m by far not an expert, but I’d just about buy anything but a JD.

stringmusic

And I also agree with everybody on the 4wd, wouldn’t own a truck or a tractor that didn’t have it.

furtaker

Big Green would be about my last choice in a new tractor. I know a guy who has had nothing but trouble out of a new one and last I heard he was on the verge of starting a lawsuit if the dealership didn't make it right. I think you're paying for the name and the coolness with a JD.

We have a New Holland and it's been a great tractor. Lots of folks around here seem to like Kubotas too but I have no experience with one. The old Fords were good tractors too.

Dbender

It's going to be tough to narrow the brand based on others opinions. Most only have limited exp with limited brands. Having said that, jds parts are higher than most. The new jd aren't the same as the ones that put them on the top. Just like the new hollands aren't the same as the old bullet proof fords. Based on my terrain and soil I'd personally rather have a bigger stronger tractor over 4x4. Less to break, better handling, cheaper. Fill the tires and add weight to the front, use it when and where you should and you'll never miss the 4x4. Im assuming youll mainly be working ground with this bigger tractor? Heavier, stronger the better. You'll be light years ahead of that tiny toy you've been using. If you're constantly using 4x4 its too wet to be out there any way. I've had a bunch of different brands all the way down to a Zetor that had about 6000 hrs on it before i sold it. Other than a Massey that was a piece of garbage from day one they were all pretty good. Have a couple older Fords left that will be around probably until I'm dead and gone. Good luck!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my neighbor bought a new 120 or so HP JD, and after it was in the shop multiple times, he let them have it back. He bought a Kubota 130HP tractor.

I have a 5570 Mahindra 4WD and FEL that I use about 150 to 170 hours a year. It has be a good reliable machine, and all I have done to it is service it every 50 hours. The only thing I would change about it is I wish I had bought power shift. It has a F/R shuttle, but you have to clutch it. I wish I had gotten one you don't have to clutch to change direction.

Plus, I absolutely refuse to own a tractor that runs DEF or a particulate filter. Won't do it. Nope. Never

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I also have a mid 90's 4630 Ford that I use a good bit. It has been as bullet proof of a tractor as I have ever seen. I had to put an alternator on it, and fix a bad ground on the instrument panel. That has been it.

Latest posts