Tractor recommendations

Longhorn 16

I am looking to purchase a new tractor with loader, 4 WD and a cab. Budget is 50K or less. Any advice or tips would be appreciated! It will be used on a 200 acre tract that is mostly clear cut. Road maintenance, bush hogging and plowing up pine stumps to convert for plots and pasture land.

Jim Boyd

John Deere and Kubota probably lead that field.

I bought a new Kubota about 7-8 years ago and love it.

If you are gonna pay $50 K for the tractor alone, you can get a beast!

Just remember that a new unit is going to have full emissions and exhaust systems that do require some extra maintenance and DEF costs.

I might at least CONSIDER an older unit without those systems.

Good luck!

liv2bowhunt

You'll get more tractor with an older model than the newer ones. I run 3 older model Masseys at work and the salesman told me to hold onto them as long as I can cause they aren't built like that anymore!

Jim Boyd

175 Massey is a heck of a tractor and can be had very reasonably.

Longhorn 16

John Deere and Kubota probably lead that field.

I bought a new Kubota about 7-8 years ago and love it.

If you are gonna pay $50 K for the tractor alone, you can get a beast!

Just remember that a new unit is going to have full emissions and exhaust systems that do require some extra maintenance and DEF costs.

I might at least CONSIDER an older unit without those systems.

Good luck!

What year did the emissions equipment start?

tree cutter 08

Kubota started in 14 I think. I bought a 7060 Kubota few months ago and have been real happy so far. Its got all the emission junk is the only bad thing. If you went with a 70 horse range that would leave some money left over for a implements. They can be $$$

Longhorn 16

Kubota started in 14 I think. I bought a 7060 Kubota few months ago and have been real happy so far. Its got all the emission junk is the only bad thing. If you went with a 70 horse range that would leave some money left over for a implements. They can be $$$

I will get a box blade and a six foot bush hog. I looked at the JD M6 and it appears to be a well constructed unit.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mahindra makes a good unit, and they are tier 4 engines, so that means no emission junk. I just bought a 5570 70hp unit from a local shop, and think I bought a deal in it. They are wheeling and dealing this time of year. Mine is 70hp, shuttle shift, 2 remote hydraulic hook ups, front end loader, 4wd with ag tires, not the commercial tires that wont grip in muddy conditions, and I got a hay spear for the front. It was ~30k for all of it. I have had it about a month, got 11 hours on it, and so far, I am happy

southernman13

Tractors aren’t real good at heavy tasks like stumping. Their good for maintaining planting and mowing. You’ll tare up loader arms and twist things up if you try to do to much even with a big one. If your going to make big plots (2 or more acres) u want bigger attachments. I have a 50hp 4 wd Kubota w loader. It’s good in tighter areas and handy to tote stuff but for planting I use the 125 John Deere. It’s a 4430 2wd and we have a 15’ harrow. U Ever use one like that you’ll throw away a smaller one. I too would look for and older model Tractor. You might consider having someone do the hard stuff and you maintain it. Pm for more info about f u want

Longhorn 16

:love:
Tractors aren’t real good at heavy tasks like stumping. Their good for maintaining planting and mowing. You’ll tare up loader arms and twist things up if you try to do to much even with a big one. If your going to make big plots (2 or more acres) u want bigger attachments. I have a 50hp 4 wd Kubota w loader. It’s good in tighter areas and handy to tote stuff but for planting I use the 125 John Deere. It’s a 4430 2wd and we have a 15’ harrow. U Ever use one like that you’ll throw away a smaller one. I too would look for and older model Tractor. You might consider having someone do the hard stuff and you maintain it. Pm for more info about f u want

All the stumps are pine and will be two years old when I start working the ground. I will maintain the growth with a smaller tractor to keep the brush at bay.

Initially I will have some heavy equipment to do clearing at the build sites. All the stumps are cut tight to the ground. The timber crew did a fantastic job and left the place in great shape with no trash.

Thanks to all for your input.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
plow around those stumps with a subsoiler, and they should come out pretty easily

Longhorn 16

Alright been doin some research today and am a little surprised by the amount of negative reviews for the JD E series. Anyone have some input on these machines?

Thanks to Jim for the heads up on the emissions. Valuable advice!

tree cutter 08

John Deere had more negative stuff on the e series than any other tractor. I've had good service out of Kubota so that's why I went back with another.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there is no way I would buy a tractor that wasn't Tier 4. Messing with DEF and Particulate filters is expensive, time consuming, and something else to go bad and cost me lots of $$$

The smaller JD's are all built overseas anyway, and you can buy a Yanmar and get the same engine.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
depending on the HP, these new Mahindra tractors have up to a 7 year power train warranty on the to. Mine is the 55 series, so it came with a 5 year power train warranty

Longhorn 16

there is no way I would buy a tractor that wasn't Tier 4. Messing with DEF and Particulate filters is expensive, time consuming, and something else to go bad and cost me lots of $$$

The smaller JD's are all built overseas anyway, and you can buy a Yanmar and get the same engine.

Ok. I thought the tier four issues were about the emissions? I reached out to the GON folks because I know they shoot straight.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Ok. I thought the tier four issues were about the emissions? I reached out to the GON folks because I know they shoot straight.

it is... Tier 4 engines don't require the DEF and particulate filters to meet the emissions requirements.