Traditions Kentucky Rifle

nhancedsvt

Banned
I am seriously considering getting into a more traditional style of blackpowder hunting this year and have stumbled across the Kentucky rifle made by Traditions. Does anyone have this rifle or know anything about this rifle? Good or bad? It appears to have a decent price tag, but I don't know if it is a good gun to start with. This would not be my first BP gun but it is my first traditional.

Also where would be the best place to shop and get the best deals/service for ordering this gun? Thanks for the help!:shoot:

Flintrock

I have not researched this rifle but I can help you on your decision
Decide if you prefer patched round ball ( cheaper) or bullets/powerbelt
A fast twist rifle barrel will require a bullet
slow twist requires a patched round ball
A medium twist of 1 in 48 will shoot either but not great.

once you decide what you want to shoot then narrow down your selection.
IF the rifle is at a great price and cost a fortune to shoot then the great deal is not so great.
I like the patched round balls.
Bullets can be bought cheap or pour your own,
patching can be purchased from the cloth departmant at walmart
It does not take as much powder to send a ball down range.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I got the Traditions Pennsylvania Rifle 50 CAL flintlock. The first one had a problem and I sent it back, and they sent me a new one. Everything good so far. It is a really nice rifle out of the box. I am sure th Kentucky will be a good rifle too.. Mine is 1:66 so I have to shoot ball, but I wanted "Traditional" all the way.

nhancedsvt

Banned
i am looking to shoot the patched round balls only. i have an inline if i want to shoot the conical loads. it has a twist rate of 1 in 66 so if i am not mistaken that is for round balls right?

nhancedsvt

Banned
dawg2,
do you have any pics of your rifle? how is the wood and finish on it?

nhancedsvt

Banned
it is a 50 cal. which is the same as my inline.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If a traditional rifle, shootin` traditional loads, is what you want, that one will do just fine. Good choice!

nhancedsvt

Banned
If a traditional rifle, shootin` traditional loads, is what you want, that one will do just fine. Good choice!

That's exactly what i want!
Other than finding a place to get a rifle, what would you guys suggest i get to go along with it? i have very little things in my "possibles" bag since i shoot an in-line so i will basically need everything.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That`s part of the fun of a traditional weapon. You can make, or trade for most of your plunder. I carry everything I need to maintain, shoot, and clean my rifle, in my riflemans pouch. I have a pic on here somewhere, with all that stuff. If I can`t find it, I`ll take another , so you can see purty much what you need. That way, you can clean the rifle in the field.

nhancedsvt

Banned
That`s part of the fun of a traditional weapon. You can make, or trade for most of your plunder. I carry everything I need to maintain, shoot, and clean my rifle, in my riflemans pouch. I have a pic on here somewhere, with all that stuff. If I can`t find it, I`ll take another , so you can see purty much what you need. That way, you can clean the rifle in the field.

thanks Nic! i figure there will be a lot more that i will need with a percussion because all i ever carried was a set of EZ loaders with my inline. Nic if possible when you get the pic could you also tell me what you use things for if that is not too much trouble? thanks for all of the help guys!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
No trouble at all.

I meant to ask is your rifle a percussion or flintlock? I have two setups myself, one for each.

nhancedsvt

Banned
What i will be getting will be a percussion. i will eventually get a flintlock but i want to start out with a percussion first.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nothin` at all wrong with that. I`ll get you some pics tomorrow evenin`. Congrats on the new rifle!!

Flintrock

you can use a.490 or a .495 round ball with different thicknesses of patch..
you can try various combinations to see what shoots best in your rifle.
you will be using a number 11 cap. I suggest using real black powder or tripple seven.The other brands tend to have a little delay between the pop of the cap and the ignition.
'

scambooger

im using pyrodex rs in my kentucky .45 with no problems. seems the GOEX is hard to find around my part of the woods. as far as bullets i like to shoot a conical like the TC maxi hunter, gives a little more bullet mass than a round ball in my .45 cal:cool: and it shoots great in it.

Flintrock

im using pyrodex rs in my kentucky .45 with no problems. seems the GOEX is hard to find around my part of the woods. as far as bullets i like to shoot a conical like the TC maxi hunter, gives a little more bullet mass than a round ball in my .45 cal:cool: and it shoots great in it.

Did not say that pyrodex would not work. I said it does not ignite as fast and usually has a delay. That is why all the inlines started using the musket cap/209 primer. The type of ball/bullet depends on the barrel twist

scambooger

and i guess i should've said i havnt had a hang fire or delay fire, that is what i meant. i have a 1 in 66 twist barrel in my kentucky,,,, guess i left that out ,too

nhancedsvt

Banned
i'll probably just shoot triple 7 out of it that way i don't run the risk of having the delay that some folks have when using pyrodex. plus it's more authentic!:cool: