trail dog???

rvick

i have a beagle/black & tan cross that came out of N. Fla. She is a great trail dog. Beagle/Walkers are hard to beat, too.

Swamp Music

Who raises some of these around south ga or North Florida? I would like to talk to someone who has raised some good ones

grouper throat

beagle/walker. Any cross between good walker and tree stock works good though.

Both of the full blood running walker dogs I have ever had that I started tracks with would try and skip alot of tracks and bark on it . In areas where there werent many deer that is fine but there's too many around here for that. They could drive a track/trail fast and jump fairly quickly but it was much easier for them to skip over to trailing a different deer too. I want mine to try and jump the track I put on as we only kill bucks here so we're wasting time if they're running a doe.

I take nothing away from the nose on some old school walker bloodlines though as the male running walker I had, that dog was cold and could trail right with most crossed dogs I've hunted over.

HOG-HEAD

every situation is different , we have had great luck with beagle crosses with walker and bluetick ...if you want a better track , stay on the trackand plenty of mouth i would cros beagle with something black or blue....if you want to somethingto get gone on a track and put it on um then the walker cross is awesome....it depends on how you hunt , we used to put on tracks and try to run track , killed some big deer that way...now we just cast them in big blocks and they run whatever ,,,we still use the crosses , but instead of breeding for a noe or track dog , we breed to give um a good handle and stay on the track...we dont use the running type dog up here..... we have dogs that can take a track and be cast....i guess it depends on where ya hunt and how ya hunt...i have heard some hunters from florida that hunt bucks only and run tracks from the road....i have heard them say there dog would take a 10 hr track....a 10 hr track up here may already be a the processor....but to answer your question .. crossing beagles with tree stock has been good for us,,,,,bluetick cross is my favorite.... thats just my thought...if anybody is interested . i have a july female that handles very well and is not that fast,,if someone wanted her to cross with i wil give her to you....let me know

firefightermpc

Hog head I'm with ya, depends how you hunt decides what you like to hunt with. I use to love running those barn burnning walkers. They could push a deer like Like no other, but now I'm one of those Florida boys you were talking about that likes to put on tracks from the road and they didn't fit the bill anymore. I like the beagle crosses now. Normally they have better noses with not as much speed. I find it easier to get in front of that ole wiley buck with them, but I do miss those long and fast races that a walker hound is famous for.

HOG-HEAD

me to buddy , i love to hear about 15-20 running dogs smoke 1 for a couple of hour straight . its fun , but thats what got the ball rolling in the wrong way , you just dont have any control of that situation....so i would rather slow down than loose deer dogging (again)

mudfoot

Beagle/Walker for me

flhunter82

I have a beagle walker that will take a track from the road, and I have a redbone that will take a track from the road. When I crossed them, I got the flat out best early starting hard trailing hard running deer dog pup that ever graced my hands. the whole litter is above average, but one was super tough. she died during hunting season when she got ran over and I didn't make the cross again. If some one has a dog they want to cross on my redbone male, I will guarantee you will have great pups.

flhunter82

I also have two 5 month old beagle bluetick cross pups that I showed there first deer last week. They never opened but they left on it and stayed gone for about 30 min. They are ready to go with other dogs

flhunter82

in the forest around revell landing on highway 67. I hunt with jimmy hodges.

flhunter82

how about yourself

firefightermpc

We hunt close to Otter camp in the forest. We should get up some during training season and let ours hounds run some of those ole slick heads.

SCDOGHUNTER

treestock...big enough to drive one but easy to stop and handle.had a couple english dogs that had a switch though...when it got dark most times they would end up treed somewhere.