Training a Texas Lacy to Track Deer

CharrDad

I got a Texas Lacy pup last fall (she's now 4 months old), and am hoping to train her to track deer. I'd love to get her ready for the 2019 season. Anyone have advice on training methods, resources, clubs, etc. I'm in the north Atlanta area but am willing to travel to learn from other Lacy owners or trackers. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

treemanjohn

Banned
I am no pro to take it for what it's worth. My father and I several back in the day using raw deer meat and blood as a treat. The best dog was a Dachshund but we used whatever dog was in the yard, All of them would also hunt sheds

You can cut a hole in an old tennis ball and drop some meat or blood in it if your dog likes to fetch.

When it comes to training never ever overwork a dog. Spend 10-15 minutes and then it's play time. Also trust the dog and watch him work. If he wants to go in a different direction than you want he may be working the wind. Too many people expect the dog to be on a string, few will

Hillbilly stalker

^^^^ That's called casting, there is a difference between a trailing dog and a tracking dog. Nothing wrong with either, both will get you there. And your right, most people don't know the difference, it takes time and patience. Short training periods and keeping it fun is the way to go.

Blackston

I always wanted mine to track blood not DEER.

BDD

My lab tracked me to my stand several times hours after I had left the house.

So this year I took him to the spot I shot a deer with a crossbow. Only about a hundred yard track

But in the dark thru a wall of briar patch he save me a lot of time and skin. Next time I’m going to attach

A cow bell to him so he’s easier to follow.

Bkeepr

Howdy! I have 2 Lacys and live north of Atlanta. Several GON forum members are also United Blood Tracker members (they will chime in sooner or later)...UBT is a nonprofit group promoting the use of dogs to recover wounded game. There are still some states where it is forbidden. Go to the UBT website and there are articles and some great reference books to buy, along with no-snag leads etc. You can also look on YouTube and Facebook. UBT Facebook group is for members only but there is a Georgia blood tracking group and an Alabama one. It is only $25 to join UBT...UBT has trained judges that will do standardized tests on your dog. They also have a get together called "Trackfest" held at different locations every year. Here you can mingle with experienced trackers and learn training tips and have your dog tested. The 2019 Trackfest will be in North Carolina.

In the meantime I hope you have some bottles of deer blood squirreled away in your freezer! I save blood in empty disposable water bottles. Also save a few deer legs and chunks of hide to use at the end of mock blood trails for a reward.

CharrDad

Thanks, Bkeeper. I'll check out the UBT right away. The Trackfest sounds like a great opportunity as well. I do not have any deer blood squirreled away, will fresh beef blood from the butcher work to get her started?

Bkeepr

Yes that will do. Purists like to use blood, hide and hooves/legs from the same deer. but just getting the dog to focus on blood versus live animal scent is good. I have used the thawed out juice from ground venison too.

Hunting Teacher

I trained two bassets to trail on a leash. One is good. The other is as good as any dog I've ever seen any professional tracker use. She tracked one this year in the black dark, for over 3/4 of a mile. There was vey little blood. We went across a road, down a bottom, into a creek for 250 yards. Poor girl is so short she was having to jump and swim to keep going. Then up through an old cutover with dog fennels 7 feet tall and thousands of blackberry vines. I used to question if I should trust her. I don't ever now.
I simply made a game of it for them beginning with a deer leg. Later we used some commercial deer blood products. LOTS of treats! Lots of praise!
The best one, the first time I put her on a shot deer, she lit up like she now knew why she was born. That's the way both act when they hit a "blood" trail. Sometimes we've had almost no blood for me to know it's the right trail. So far, neither has ever trailed the wrong deer.
Nothing I did. I really had no clue how to train a dog to trail. I just spent a lot of short sessions with them for a very long period of time. Mostly I think God just created those two low slung, long eared hounds to trail deer!!