Transporting Rigged Rods

What is the best way to transport a rigged fly rod in the car? I've tried it broken down in two pieces with the fly on the hook keeper, which works most of the time; however it is pretty vulnerable sliding around in the back seat. Also, I learned the hard way a couple summers ago that rod tips and power windows don't mix well :waggingfinger:

Id primarily like to do it to gain some fishing time, especially if it is hitting a pond on the way home from the store or on a lunch break.

Taxman

I remember reading an old fly fisherman's words of wisdom. He said the
first thing to do when you arrive at your vehicle is to break the rod down. Too many things can happen to one around cars.

Bream Pole

make a thin wall pvc rod holder to lie on back seat or lean against back seat

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a four-door truck. If I'm going a short distance between fishing spots, I'll just put it in the truck bed, with the end sticking out over the tailgate. If I'm going farther, I'll break it into two pieces and slide it into the rod tube up to the reel seat and lay it across the backseat.

TurkeyH90

So, we since it's a 4 hour drive to trout water from my house we used to take my buddys' Honda Civic. Laid one of the back seats forward and ran the tip up over the consoles. Same way in a rental SUV last week in YS but don't have to lay down the seat. I'm not crazy about a rod bouncing up and down on a tailgate so even in my truck I break it down in to two pieces.

As much as I would like to have a truck, I'm going to drive my Xterra until it falls apart. I can get my short fly rod and regular rods in the back no problem. It's the longer ones that are tricky. I'll have to look more into the carrier's, too. Thanks again for the help!

As much as I would like to have a truck, I'm going to drive my Xterra until it falls apart. I can get my short fly rod and regular rods in the back no problem. It's the longer ones that are tricky. I'll have to look more into the carrier's, too. Thanks again for the help!

What gen Xterra? My 1st gen holds 9' rods fine- I'll just slide the blanks between the rear seats which holds them well. a 9'6" rod can fit as well, but anything bigger and you are out of luck. I have a rod vault on top that fits rods up to 10'

Just make sure the rod butts are close to the rear hatch door (not too close!) and the rod tips will sit around the dashboard or even up at the roof depending on the angle you slide them in at.

What gen Xterra? My 1st gen holds 9' rods fine- I'll just slide the blanks between the rear seats which holds them well. a 9'6" rod can fit as well, but anything bigger and you are out of luck. I have a rod vault on top that fits rods up to 10'

Just make sure the rod butts are close to the rear hatch door (not too close!) and the rod tips will sit around the dashboard or even up at the roof depending on the angle you slide them in at.
I've got a 2nd gen (2009) and love it. I'll have to try laying the longer rods between the split rear seats fully assembled. Of course, a rod locker would be awesome, too ?