Trap trip methods

fountain

Let's hear some ideas on tripping mechanics. I have a trap I built years ago and set it up to have the door all the way up with a small rope come off of it, over the top of the trap and back into the trap down. There are 2 small sticks driven into the ground and the trip stick will go onto them horizontally. My trip rod is a piece of rebar. I'm having problems with the hogs eating all the corn from under the trip stick and never setting the trap off. Never had this problem before and this is the only method I've used. Open to any other ideas to try and up my catch ratio

sleepr71

I like to use a “trip wire” out of heavy monofilament,or paracord. I rig it so it’s about 16” off the ground & any animal that bumps it hard enough..releases the trap door. 16” also let’s Racoons pass under without tripping it?Another way is a “root stick”. I’ll bury corn,or something sweet under a big rock & put the “rooter stick”/trip wire under the rock,using the weight of the rock to hold the gate open. When a Hog roots that rock around to get to the goodies under it..the stick flies & releases the door. No real way to keep Racoons out in Summer,and they are another reason I use Corral traps exclusively now. If a Deer,or Raccoon trips it accidentally..they can get out easy enough. Not true with box traps?When I do use a box trap,I use a board at the back..suspended a couple of inches by the trip wire/cord running to trap door. When something steps on the board to get to the goodies at the back of the trap..it releases the guillotine door & it falls. Tons of ways to make it happen..

fountain

Thanks for that pic K. That's one method I have heard, but havent been able to picture it. Now I see what they are talking about. I've gotten some good ideas now. Thanks guys. I'll go reset the trap today and try again tonight

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks for that pic K. That's one method I have heard, but havent been able to picture it. Now I see what they are talking about. I've gotten some good ideas now. Thanks guys. I'll go reset the trap today and try again tonight
I have a thread somewhere explaining it all.
Good luck.

camotoy

we been using a coral trap with the gate being end of the cattle panel bent to stay closed and can be pushed open but closes back so many can go in but they cant get back out

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
KMCK,

I though with that style or trap they just pushed the door up and went in and couldn't get back out?
They do. But I like it easy for the 1st one. ?
I think that’s how I catch multi pig. The 1st one goes back to eating. The rest join.
I have caught them with it down.
Just tring to help a pig out. ?

fountain

Here is how I have it set. I can see the PVC I dirty this morning but it wasnt tripped and no hogs caught. These are the un-catchables..

Attachments

• Resized952.jpg
    Resized952.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 42

Okie Hog

This is what i use:

ITrehfN.jpg

A piece of parachute cord runs from the top of the stick through a pulley about 8" from the trap bottom. The cord is tied to the opposite side of the trap.