Trapped Hog #15 Last Night

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job , I’m in process of building one just like yours , building it around a feeder and gonna leave it open most of the time , only set it when I or someone I know needs some pork , probably take a few good eating size ones a couple times a year and turn the rest back out !

Mark K

Banned
Bet your neighbors like you, lol. I’d poison them if they would come out with something that wouldn’t kill the other critters.
Good job , I’m in process of building one just like yours , building it around a feeder and gonna leave it open most of the time , only set it when I or someone I know needs some pork , probably take a few good eating size ones a couple times a year and turn the rest back out !

Realtree Ga

I kill everyone I possibly can. If you front yard looked like it had been tilled with a tractor like mine from these things, you wouldn't turn a single one back out. Lol.

antharper

Staff member
I kill everyone I possibly can. If you front yard looked like it had been tilled with a tractor like mine from these things, you wouldn't turn a single one back out. Lol.
Yes I guess you are probably rt , fortunately I don’t have to live with them , never seen one in Troup co, and am in the woods a lot , I’m from Coffee co, ocmulgee river , and have been in a lease there since I was a kid , and stayed in it after I moved and sure enjoy hunting them when I make it down, headed there tomorrow for a few days and plan on killing a couple, I hope

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

you might want to reconsider that release of feral pigs.

From the Ga Game website.....

It is unlawful to transport a live feral hog without a permit from Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA). Feral hogs captured alive by a person without a valid GDA permit must be killed prior to transport. Release of any live feral hogs into an area that is not fenced is prohibited. Any persons convicted of the transport or release of live feral hogs in violation of established laws and regulations may be subject to revocation of hunting privileges for up to three years and a fine up to $5,000.00, but not less than $1,500.00. Transport and possession of live feral hogs are regulated by GDA, contact the Animal Industry Division at 404-656-3671 for more information.

antharper

Staff member
you might want to reconsider that release of feral pigs.

From the Ga Game website.....

It is unlawful to transport a live feral hog without a permit from Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA). Feral hogs captured alive by a person without a valid GDA permit must be killed prior to transport. Release of any live feral hogs into an area that is not fenced is prohibited. Any persons convicted of the transport or release of live feral hogs in violation of established laws and regulations may be subject to revocation of hunting privileges for up to three years and a fine up to $5,000.00, but not less than $1,500.00. Transport and possession of live feral hogs are regulated by GDA, contact the Animal Industry Division at 404-656-3671 for more information.
I’m not transporting them , they are being released in same spot they are caught , it’s been done for years where I hunt , a lot of the little boars get cut and released back rt where they are , but I will definitely check into the laws a little better , I know it’s illegal to move them , thanks !

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I’m not transporting them , they are being released in same spot they are caught , it’s been done for years where I hunt , a lot of the little boars get cut and released back rt where they are , but I will definitely check into the laws a little better , I know it’s illegal to move them , thanks !

the regulation talk about moving them also, but it plainly says you can't release a feral pig into an area that is not fenced in. You might want to study that sentence a little bit more. Once you have them caught, they are to stay caught or killed. They might have been doing it for years, but they have also been breaking the law for years. I don't think I would post that on an open discussion board where we know the GW's read posts.

I would hate to see you lose your hunting rights for 3 years for making that mistake.

"It is unlawful to transport a live feral hog without a permit from the Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA). Feral hogs captured alive by a person without a valid GDA permit must be killed prior to transport. Release of any live feral hogs into an area that is not fenced is prohibited. Any persons convicted of the transport or release of live feral hogs may be subject to losing hunting privileges for up to three years and a fine up to $5,000.00, but not less than $1,500.00. Transport and possession of live feral hogs are regulated by GDA; contact the Animal Industry Division at 404-656-3671 for more information. "

antharper

Staff member
I just called and spoke with some Dr with the GDA and they couldn’t give me a correct answer , gonna call me back , they did however say if it’s on my own private land as long as I’m not putting them on a trailer I could do whatever I wanted to , but being a lease they wasn’t sure, gonna give me a call back , thanks for your concern really, I’d hate to pay that fine or be without my hunting rights

antharper

Staff member
Well ok pappy I just got off the phone with Dr with GDA and as long as I am on my property or lease and am not moving them or keeping them in trap more than 24 hrs you can catch and release cut or do whatever u would like , think I’ll go set my trap here in a minute and catch me 8 or 10 , and pick me a couple fat ones out to barbecue, and release the rest , thanks for your concern !

ucfireman

I took it as it means for transporting to a "new area" not trapping and releasing on the site where they were caught.
Im glad you got clarification.
Good luck.

Mark K

Banned
Some folks just can’t comprehend the destruction pigs cause, not only to the landscape, but to other wildlife as well. I believe it was Texas University that had come out with a feed that would kill the hogs and no other critters. It was due to be released, but unfortunately a coon died after a 15 month trial and the feed was scrapped. I honestly don’t see how anyone who calls thereself an outdoorsman or sportsman could release anything as destructive as a wild pig. Especially if you hunt any other game animal.

antharper

Staff member
I can promise I know the type of destruction they can do and the affects they have on other wildlife I’ve been around them all of my life , but I can also guarantee that I have never once complained about not seeing any deer or the turkey limit should be reduced because we have plenty of both , and wild coveys of quail like I haven’t seen since the 80’s , and the wild hogs where I’m at are here to stay , ocmulgee river, I actually enjoy hunting and eating them, and as far as outdoorsman, I’m about to watch my 15 year old daughter bust number 18 since September !

Mark K

Banned
I can assure you if ours were as easy to trap as yours appear to be then we would have already put a major dent in the population. Our hogs got educated quick. They will feed all around the pen but refuse to go in. We even have a hog trapper trying to catch them. The only ones that will be released are any small enough to squeeze through the fence before we get there.
We don’t or didn’t have issues 10 years ago, but they’ve slowly made there way here and are thriving. Year round hunting or even the use of dogs doesn’t seem to make a difference. The only method that used to work was trapping. I despise a hog as much as I despise a coyote or a thief. The hatred is strong!

antharper

Staff member
Just killed 3 , let my daughter shoot first, then I took gun and got me 2 , I love sausage

Latest posts