Trapper question and answer thread.

SemperFi

Alright, it was mentioned in another thread about a “properly constructed urine post set”...please explain.
I have attempted, but never caught anything on a post set/urine set. Would really like to though!!

I always try to find a limb with a slight curve to it. If I’m lucky it’ll have a knot hole in the right place, if not I’ll drill a hole to hold lure. Urine goes on the base and gland lure in the hole. I’ll also change it up and put GHII or castor lure in the hole. Every blue moon I’ll pile some pine straw around the base and light a fire on it and put the fire out with some urine. The limb below had already caught a few critters. I think it makes em better once they've been chewed on some.
F32509C4-A4B6-4E4F-9293-7D1DA4F250EA.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
I always try to find a limb with a slight curve to it. If I’m lucky it’ll have a knot hole in the right place, if not I’ll drill a hole to hold lure. Urine goes on the base and gland lure in the hole. I’ll also change it up and put GHII or castor lure in the hole. Every blue moon I’ll pile some pine straw around the base and light a fire on it and put the fire out with some urine. The limb below had already caught a few critters. I think it makes em better one they been chewed on some.
View attachment 963083
Like the idea of a drilling a hole in it, thanks!

Mark K

Banned
Also, I had my first today. Trap wasn’t sprung, but tipped up out of the bed. Front side tipped up. Could not really see any tracks either. Apparently the bedding wasn’t as secure as I thought. I’ve read that most say coons. Could have been I guess, but just wouldn’t think so where the set was made. And will whatever did it come back to reinspect my remake?

SemperFi

So where exactly do you place the trap? Close, away, back, forward?

I place trap directly in front of post probably 9 - 11 inches away. I always place the trap where I think the front foot will be when they walk up and sniff the post. The set below was actually a remake. I caught a bobcat on it that morning. The red X marks about where the trap would be. The rest was where the catch circle was. 29423937-06E5-44D8-B366-CF965158B80B.jpeg

SemperFi

Also, I had my first today. Trap wasn’t sprung, but tipped up out of the bed. Front side tipped up. Could not really see any tracks either. Apparently the bedding wasn’t as secure as I thought. I’ve read that most say coons. Could have been I guess, but just wouldn’t think so where the set was made. And will whatever did it come back to reinspect my remake?

I’ve caught raccoons on post sets in the middle of planted pines. If it is a raccoon they’ll probably come back. I’ve caught a few that were messing with my traps by turning the levers from 3 and 9 to 12 and 6.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Rookie here, I ziptie mine where the chain is connected to the trap. Haven’t lost one yet.
no offense meant but you will sooner or later.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
All I can add is if youre beaver trapping learn to use a snare effectively. You can carry a full load of snares and cables into a swamp in one trip compared to 330's or foot hold beaver traps. Those have their place but snares are my go to.

beaver snare connected to a heavy duty cable with an S hook and a snare wire to set it weighs less than the chain on a 330 or foot hold

Latest posts