Trapping Newbie Questions

Thanks again for all who read my earlier post about sprung traps. Have a huge winter storm coming in this weekend, then going to reset and see what comes through looking for a meal.

I have some questions that I either haven't asked yet, or haven't been able to find the answers using google search yet.

1. Day 1 - I set the trap with bait and lure. If no catch occurs, how long before I need to refresh bait and lure (1 week, 2 weeks, etc.)???

2. Day 1 - I set the trap with bait and lure. It rains or snows soon after (substantially). Do I refresh the trap sooner than in dry weather due to precipitation?

3. If placing sets close to each other (like 50 feet apart on opposite sides of the road), should I use a different lure or bait on each trap so it doesn't look too "staged" or does it matter?

I keep hearing about how crazy smart these dudes are so I just don't want to get patterned.

Any other tips or pointers appreciated.

MilkweedM

Mark K

Banned
Again, not as experienced as most on here, but here’s what I’ve learned so far.
1. Leave it be
2. Substantial precipitation and I’ll rebait or relure as soon as I know we’re going to have a few days of dry weather. But it has to be substantial. Otherwise, leave it be.
3. I set 4 new traps this evening and alternated between dirt holes and Pipe sets. Also alternated baits and lures between the 4 as well. Actually all four have different lures, but alternated baits.

oldguy

I like to set different types of sets close together with different lures. Maybe a dirt hole with bait and a lure. Then nearby a flat set or a urine post. They may not be tempted to investigate dirt hole but want to leave their mark. Think small at flat sets (small bones or pieces of bones, small rocks (fist size), small pieces of weathered wood, old flattened pine cones) Put lure underneath to keep 'em working. . At urine post either use a small clump of grass or a stick stuck in the ground. Apply urine at the base so they have to work to get to it. Maybe poke a small hole straight down with some lure in it and lightly close the hole. Use different lures as you go to pique their interest. I also like to put them really close, like right across the road or side by side in a field corner, or opposite corners of an intersection. Long as caught critters can't reach each other. Little more exciting than seeing two coyotes, two foxes or a bobcat and a coyote side by side! Good luck. Stay with it.
P.S.
Try different size holes. Punch some w/rebar, dig some with a YO-HO spade, and I like to make big ones along and along with a tile spade.

furtaker

A coyote's nose is amazing. I've had them dig lure out of the ground 2-3 months after I made the set. A little lure goes a long way, especially if it is a loud lure. Too much and they will roll on your set.

deermaster13

When dad and get out of the truck we set opposite sided usually. First thing we ask is what type of set we are using and then we set differently. Switching it up seems to help. These lure usually linger a good while however if it gets really soaked we may freshen up just a little maybe with a quick squirt of urine.