Travel saltwater rod fits that in carry on?

Onthebank

I am on a hunt for a travel spinning rod that will fit in a carry on or even my checked bag. I really don't mind which one it goes in, just as long I can get a rod on the plane - never flown with a rod so not sure what to expect. Headed down to FL in January (not the panhandle or I'd drive). Every rod I've looked at is either too $$$ or has crap reviews. I know I have plenty of time, but I really don't I'll be in Europe for half of December and my Christmas decorating is about to start (big display).

I've got 3 rods but nothing breaks down enough. Is there a 3 or 4 pc rod that you guys recommend? Having a hard time trusting reviews on Amazon and other sites.

Found this: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/c...c/?filterString=fishing-rods-and-cases~d~190/ and this: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/770...516648&feat=516648-GN1&csp=f&attrValue_0=Blue but they seem a little weak. I'd toss the reels aside, probably keep the spinning around as a backup, but I'd use my own...just have to find a saltwater reel I like first and use the fly to learn on.

What do I plan to use it for:

1. bay fishing in Clearwater Bay
2. hilarious attempt at surf fishing (hence the saltwater bit)
3. off the dock fishing in shallow water (less than 10 ft, I think)
4. fishing while put-putting around the bay in a little rental boat

What do I want to catch?

Anything that will bite.

I've never fished down there before and I'm really not very good at fishing! I sure enjoy casting though! If possible, I'd like to stay under $100.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just by a cheap rod at ww when you get there and leave it to a kid.
You didn’t sound like you needed the best.
Marlboro had a complete Shakespeare’s kit that would switch from fly to spin. One I really liked the rod but it is light duty especially the fly reel. The flip part of the rod was a nice feature and the case was small.
The rod was four or five pieces. Find one on eBay. Very functional for many years. The end tip is thin “fly rod” and has finally broke on mine.
Worth $30 $40 if brand new condition.

Onthebank

I'd like to keep it if possible. I just really suck at fishing and just keep buying more to feed the addiction. :) We'll be moving to FL before my son hits high school so it will be used again for sure. Going for the full year FL salt license as well since I'll be down there a lot next year.

Is there really a big difference between salt and freshwater rods? I've become quite picky on the reel in the short time I've been fishing since starting back after an almost 3 decade hiatus (I'm almost 38 and I wasn't too picky then!) so I'll buy something down there because Cabela's up my way has a very small selection of salt reels. They have 2 massive ones and I don't need that.

flatsmaster

In the rods the material they use for the eyes and blanks is diff in high quality rods and low quality and eye brackets are usually what will rust and break the quickest but u can get plenty of years out of it no more then it sounds like you'll go ... saltwater fish are powerful so if possible I'd go a 4000 reel with 10 or 15lb braid and tie on 20 or 30lb fluro leader ... minimum of a 2500 reel or all the fish you'd like to land have a great chance of breaking u off with less drag and significant less line capacity ... this would be a Bay setup not a surf outfit ...
Good luck

Latest posts