Tree making popping noises?

Pilgrim

Are any of you familiar with what type of trees are making noises that sound like really loud Rice Krispies? And don't tell me "a tree that's falling" :bounce:. It almost sounds like some sort of seed pod is bursting/cracking. While walking tonight, I heard this sound coming from several trees in the neighborhood. It was too dark to see what the trees looked like.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
This time of year Wisteria vines will disperse their seeds. It is almost like you are being shot at by a pellet gun. You will hear the pop and if the seed is coming your way you will here the whirring noise of it going by. They can send their seeds a good 35 or 40 feet during this process.

Did you happen to notice if there were any Wisteria vines growing up in those trees?

280bst

That happened to me once at night I shined my double magnum ultra 200 million candle power flash light [deer can't see it] up the tree and it turned out it was a bunch of Possums popping double extra butter popcorn but sometimes it what M.C. said Armadillo's like to pop the Wisteria seeds also

shakey gizzard

Lots of seed pods are set with a hair trigger! As dry as it's been, no tell'n!:huh:

matthewsman

not termites

Pine beetles...
Snick..sniick..snick..

Dollars to donuts that's what you heard.:cool:

1gr8bldr

I thought a monkey was following me in the tree tops on my way out of the stand the other evening. Funny you brought this up. It spooked me until I realized that it was not just one tree.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I agree with Pine beetles. I have sat in my deer stand and heard numerous "pops" all around in the pines. It sounded like a constant popping, cracking sounds and it took me quite a while to figure out just what it was. Several times I thought that it was a deer coming in close to my stand.

To get revenge on these beetles, just put the wood into a hot fire and then listen to those suckers really "POP". They explode in the hot fire like raw eggs in a microwave!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The kind of tree that has flying squirrels sitting in it gnawing on stuff. :)