Triple C's Dawg Day Chili

Triple C

Couldn't think of a better way to watch the Dawgs whoop up on Auburn this afternoon than with a big pot of chili. Here's what went in to the concoction...

2 lbs ground pork
1 large yellow onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/5 green bell pepper
2 jalapeños seeded and diced
1 can green chile peppers
2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can tomato sauce
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can beef broth
1 package Carroll Shelby's chili mix (Best I've found if you don't want to make your own)
1 bottle of beer of your choice. I like a dark beer but regular old Bud is mighty fine too.
Cayenne pepper to taste (I like a Tbl sp)
Hot sauce to taste (I'm partial to Crystal)
IMG_4615.jpg

I sautée onions n peppers till almost transparent while browning the ground pork.
IMG_4616.jpg

Gonna let it simmer till game time. If you've never tried ground pork then give it a try. I got turned on to it bout 20 years ago. I'll post up another pic bout game time.
IMG_4619.jpg

Dub

I’ve never made it with ground pork, but I’ve used a pile of Shelby’s mix in my life. It was my go to mix until recently.

I’m sure that’s some tasty chili you made.

Sure would like to see the Dawgs do it today. Stuck at work so I’m gonna miss watching it.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
that mix makes the best chili I ever had

Triple C

Appreciate the comments guys n gals! Dub...try ground pork next time. Bout 20 yrs ago or so we had a chili night at church with a whole bunch of chili pots to choose from. I tried a bowl of what I make now and chased down the lady that made it to get her recipe. It was the best chili I ever ate. Found out she used ground pork rather than beef.

She asked me what made bacon so good. I said the the fat. She said I rest my case. Been making it with ground pork ever since.

Big7

The Oracle
Looks good.

Got some basic veggie/beef stew in the crock pot.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
That does look good! And so did the Dawgs tonight! 2017 SEC champions, baby! :fine: :fine:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Dub

Appreciate the comments guys n gals! Dub...try ground pork next time. Bout 20 yrs ago or so we had a chili night at church with a whole bunch of chili pots to choose from. I tried a bowl of what I make now and chased down the lady that made it to get her recipe. It was the best chili I ever ate. Found out she used ground pork rather than beef.

She asked me what made bacon so good. I said the the fat. She said I rest my case. Been making it with ground pork ever since.

Sounds great.

Next pot I make will have some in there.

The cooler weather is screaming for a pot of chili to be made, too.

Thanks for the pro-tip. :cool:

Triple C

Sounds great.

Next pot I make will have some in there.

The cooler weather is screaming for a pot of chili to be made, too.

Thanks for the pro-tip. :cool:

U welcome Dub! Post how you like it next time you make chili if you use ground pork. My next adventure is taking a stab at one of the gumbo recipes in the gumbo thread. Never tried making gumbo but think I may be able to pull that off.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have never had Chile made with pork. I got to try this, I love the Shelby seasoning.

Dub

U welcome Dub! Post how you like it next time you make chili if you use ground pork. My next adventure is taking a stab at one of the gumbo recipes in the gumbo thread. Never tried making gumbo but think I may be able to pull that off.

It's cold, raining and I worked last night and not worth much at all today. All of this equals CHILI-NIGHT 'round my hacienda, lol.

I didn't go whole hog....but I did go 1/3 hog.......2/3 beef.

Gonna see how it does.

Using Nicodemus's Championship recipe. :flag:

Now.....time for a nap while the crockpot works it's magic:cool:.

Last edited:

Triple C

Dub...You know it's good when you got that much meat on top! Hope you like the ground pork.

After overloading on chili last weekend and with the weather today, I went with old fashion veggie beef soup n cornbread today. Turned out quite edible. The Mrs. n I done knocked down a bowl each and will be back for more bout dinner time.
IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Dub

Dub...You know it's good when you got that much meat on top! Hope you like the ground pork.

After overloading on chili last weekend and with the weather today, I went with old fashion veggie beef soup n cornbread today. Turned out quite edible. The Mrs. n I done knocked down a bowl each and will be back for more bout dinner time.
View attachment 920981

View attachment 920982

That looks outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Son got home a few minutes ago from taking his first exam of the semester. He called me on the way home and asked about dinner. Little joker went to town on the pork-beef chili.

I'll be using some ground pork in every batch from here on. Thanks, Triple C. :flag: