Trophy care?

doc

I have never killed a buck worthy of being mounted. Being the optimist, I want to prepare for this. What steps do you need to take to have the deer mounted? Woody-any do's and don'ts?

fasn8nmom

I am not real familiar with the whole process myself, but if you take your deer to a processor make sure you tell them you are mounting it. You might want to tell them to make sure to leave alot of the cape. When I killed my only mounted deer 2 years ago, the processor did not leave enough cape for the mount that I wanted. He cut it for a standard shoulder mount which is what I ended up with.

I don't have to worry to much about the whole process after the deer is down!! My husband and I have an agreement, he cleans, I cook! :p Works great for me :fine:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
trophy care

Been a taxidermist since 1958, so listen up. We don't split the neck up the back anymore, so hang your deer with head down, from the back legs. Split the belly hide sternum to the tail, Split out each front leg from the sternum cut. Don't cut into the brisket area. Skin from the hams down. When you pass the front legs the neck hide should be be very carefully skinned down to the base of the neck, like taking a sock off your foot. No cuts. Sever at the last neck joint, twist the head around till it comes loose from the neck. Leave the entire hide attached to the head and let your taxidermist decide where to cut it. Make your taxidermist happy, wash the hide and cape thoroughly and don't let it get on the dirt, leaves or pine needles. Treat your cape/hide/head the same as you do the meat you plan to eat, COLD or frozen and deliver to your taxidermist at the first opportunity. Cut the lower portion of all four legs off with a set of large limb pruners or saw. Before skinning, take a measurement around the smallest part of the neck, below the jaw. 22 1/2" and larger is a big buck. :type:

duke13

Good advice son.
I'm going to add a couple other things to do, or not do.

When removing your deer from the kill area, do not tie a drag rope or anything around the neck. this will damage the hair. Drag by the horns if possible and try to keep as much of the brisket, shoulder areas off the ground to keep from skinning the hair off the areas that will on your mount. The same with loading on 4 wheelers, be careful none of the hide that will be on your mount isn't dragging or rubbing against tires or anything that could damage it.
If you have killed a deer worth spending the money to mount take good care of the hide so it will last a long time.

AND............take it to Woody! :D :bounce:

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
be sure to leave the head outside in the sun for a few days so that it will smell nice when you get it to woody's! ::ke: (just kidding!) :bounce:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
In the past my favorite taxidermist has

posted some very fine care/capeing guidelines maybe we can get him to do it this again :)

Leo

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
more good info

Yes, I forgot about how some folks drag the hair off, rope around the neck etc. Deer hair is brittle, so handle your trophy like a new born baby. Yep, I agree with those additions. :flag: