Trophy radishes-who planted and results?

droptine06

Official Supper Thread Starter
We planted 5 acres this year. They absolutely exploded with the right soil/fertilizer and ridiculous rainfall we had.
This was our first year planting them so the deer intially were slow to turn onto them. Leaves averaged 12-16in in length, 10 plus leaves per plant and produced a ton of forage. Around late Nov. the deer began to nip at them and towards the end of Dec. - through Feb. they absolutely destoryed them! They have pulled the big roots up and eaten them as well. I am very pleased because they have carried the deer all the way through March and there is still a ton of sign in the plots.
Was curious what experience's everyone else had and was this fall the second planting for anyone? Wanted to know if the deer started hitting them earlier in the season knowing what they were.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
We planted 5 acres this year. They absolutely exploded with the right soil/fertilizer and ridiculous rainfall we had.
This was our first year planting them so the deer intially were slow to turn onto them. Leaves averaged 12-16in in length, 10 plus leaves per plant and produced a ton of forage. Around late Nov. the deer began to nip at them and towards the end of Dec. - through Feb. they absolutely destoryed them! They have pulled the big roots up and eaten them as well. I am very pleased because they have carried the deer all the way through March and there is still a ton of sign in the plots.
Was curious what experience's everyone else had and was this fall the second planting for anyone? Wanted to know if the deer started hitting them earlier in the season knowing what they were.

It sounds like you just told my story:fine: Now every one in our club will be planting them this year. GREAT STUFF. thanks Don:flag:

LHCLLLC

Planted several acres and the deer absolutely hammered them. Then had turkeys pulling up leaves in December and eating them. Anyway, the deer stayed in ours all year, from mid October thru last week when we were up burning, still plenty of sign. We will definitely be planting as much if not more next year.

JR1

Deer did not eat much of mine and the cold weather in Jan. killed them.They sure stink when they die. Don't think I will plant them again.

Hunter922

Planted them last year, will not plant them again. Deer did not touch them. Food plots looked like a picture but were for the most part useless.

SakoL61R

Same for me, Nov nips, Dec-Feb hammer time. Mixed 10 lbs. with my wheat/oats/rye on 4+ acres. Will plant again.

Boneskull

Banned
They absolutely Hammered ours. Will Plant more this fall.
Bone

SAhunter

trophy raddishes

Ditto boys! Deer killing them on my farm! They add a lot of nutrients to the soil when the rot ( I was told by a biologist).

vsudoc

Banned
Great success with the radishes on my farm. A friend of mine planted them as well and had great success. Look forward to seeing how they work as a soil amendmant. They seem to be starting to rot at my place and I am about to have some of the fields turned to put them in the ground.

droptine06

Looks like majority of everyone had success. We will DEFINATELY be planting them again next fall at our farm. On every plot this time
to.

vsudoc - We've got some rotting occurring to. Is there a problem just leaving the roots that are remaining to decay naturally? We have arrowhead and ladino planted throughout much of these plots and do not want to turn them under.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
Let nature take it's course.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I used Kent Kammermeyer's "Sweet Spot" this year on a small plot. It has trophy radishes in it as well as purple top turnips. The radishes didn't mature until December but when they did it looked like a bulldozer had gone through the plot.

I will definitely plant them again next year.

Nate23

Is anyone having sucess with the TRs planted in shaded areas such as in pines, or better out in the full sunshine?

droptine06

Is anyone having sucess with the TRs planted in shaded areas such as in pines, or better out in the full sunshine?

We planted a 200 yard long strip in one of our cut pine rows, the TR's did well. Got to about 8-10in tall. They deifnately prefer sunny areas, but we did have success in the shade.

SowGreen

Love them, love them, love them, and so did our deer. Come December-February they flat wore them out. I will say this though, you need to have a good soil ph for them to thrive. We tried them out in two different plots this year, the plot that was well established- good fertility- had great results with huge tops and 10-14 inch roots, the other plot which was fairly new and around pines, highly acidic, had 4-6 inch tops with 6-8 inch roots and the deer did not tear them up as much. In the good plot the deer were still eating them in late February. We will definately plant them again this year.

Attachments

• Bowlegs 1 12-29-09.jpg
    Bowlegs 1 12-29-09.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • Bowlegs 2 12-29-09.jpg
    Bowlegs 2 12-29-09.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,005

killa86

my bro in law planted them looked like hogs had been in there in december deer absolutely raped them. they do need the right ph to really get hit hard and make sure you rotate the crop every 2 years.

Gadget

We planted them in a couple plots this year as a test, mixed with some cereal grains. They did great, the deer loved them, liked them more than the Dwarf essex rape we normally add to our fall mixes, plan on planting more this fall.

Did any of you guys notice them eating the radishes at all?