Tropical Corn

Jim Ammons

This question may have already been covered. Has anyone on the board planted the Tropical Corn? If so what kind of results compared to regular field corn. I plan to try it on sandy land. I would be interested in all comments!

Thanks

H

HT2

Jim........

I gotta ask.......

What the difference in Tropical Corn from regular????

I don't think I've ever heard of this??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Old Timer

Banned
I planted a small patch in two different plots last year, I think in June. One plot deer ate it all when it was 6 inches high, gone. Other plot, it grew and was covered with ears. Problem was no deer just coons and they had a feast. Just one point, you know how deer and food plots went last year. Maybe it will be different this year.
Also it was planted in Hancock, sandy soil. Very drought tolerant.
OT

I have planted tropical corn several times, here in Quitman county. Some in red dirt, some in sand. As with all corn, you need rain at the right time. I planted it in June/July, and had good results. It is much more drought tolerant than regular field corn. Advantage:You can plant it later, so it comes off later, so more is left when season comes in.

Ga-Spur

We use to grow it for dairy cows. It is grown in Mexico I think as a regular crop of corn. I believe deer will eat the stalks of this corn more readily than other corns when it is small.

Jim Ammons

HT2

Copied from Cooper's:

Tropical Corn: For ducks, deer, quail and doves. A warm season annual from South America. Can tolerate high temperatures, stress and drought. Can grow up to 8 ft. tall. For deer plant next to wood's edge and leave standing. For turkey and quail allow seeds to fall naturally or knock down by hand or with mower. For doves mow in strips to provide scattered seeds and clean ground. If broadcast mix 8 to 10 lbs. corn with 5 lbs. Cooper's Hyb. Sorghum. If planted in rows alone use 10 to 15 lbs. per acre. Plant May, June and July. Buy 50 lbs. for only $120.00.

Be sure to wash your hands after planting or handling any treated seeds!

Jim