Trouble in food plot

Deer Farmer

I have some kind of mustard/turnip looking plants that have taken over two of my plots. I have harrowed and sprayed all spring and summer trying to kill this mess. I planted only wheat this fall just to see if it would come back and it has. What do I need to do to get rid of this mess. Thanks for the help in advance!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have some kind of mustard/turnip looking plants that have taken over two of my plots. I have harrowed and sprayed all spring and summer trying to kill this mess. I planted only wheat this fall just to see if it would come back and it has. What do I need to do to get rid of this mess. Thanks for the help in advance!
Considering how many turnip/mustard looking plants are planted intentionally for deer, it might not be a bad thing to have brassicas coming up naturally. Probably some kind of cress or mustard. Do the deer eat it? Got any pics?

Deer Farmer

I will take a closer picture when I’m on the ground but I had it for a couple of years and they really not crazy about it like my other plots

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will take a closer picture when I’m on the ground but I had it for a couple of years and they really not crazy about it like my other plots
Yeah, if you can get a good close-up pic, we may be able to figure out what it is. In general, 2,4-d or triclopyr will kill most broadleaves without killing most grasses.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like wild radish. Deer generally eat it.

doomtrpr_z71

24d will kill it easily now, if it gets much bigger you'll loose efficacy. But you will ding up the wheat since it looks a bit small for 24d, mcpa would be better. Adding harmony extra to it would help as well.