Trout Honey Hole

I recently found out that Fires Creek in NC is a decent spot to catch some trout! Check out this video!

Subscribe for More videos like this! I know many of you like these posts. This is not Self promotion, rather providing another avenue to watch the videos. I do not get paid to make these videos. I make them strictly to share fishing with others.

thanks for the info! I'll be checking out these spots for sure. I'm new to catching trout, but I'm loving the different challenges that come with it... it's a lot different from catching bass

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fires is a cool spot for sure. Although th best wild brown fishery in the south is 20 minutes from the perimeter.
There are a lot of tailwater fisheries in NC and TN that are as good or better than the Hooch.

greg_n_clayton

There are a lot of tailwater fisheries in NC and TN that are as good or better than the Hooch.
Yep....and fish them like ya would a walleye...at night !! The wild biguns didn't get that way being stupid ! I don't know if they changed the trout water regs when they opened them up year round.....but closing trout waters at sundown.....there is/was a reason...just saying.

Browniez

I’m aware of a few that do produce trout that are in the same class as the Hooch, although I’m not aware of any that are 100% wild browns.

There’s several that produce top end fish similar in size to the Hooch. Although there are fish in this river that would flat blow doors on the TN and NC state records.

I’m also referencing top end size, not necessarily numbers. The Georgia state record is several pounds light of the fish that should hold it, but was released. Definitely over 24-10.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m aware of a few that do produce trout that are in the same class as the Hooch, although I’m not aware of any that are 100% wild browns.

There’s several that produce top end fish similar in size to the Hooch. Although there are fish in this river that would flat blow doors on the TN and NC state records.

So far, though, GA is still a good bit behind NC and TN on state record browns. Those weren't doughbellies, either. The Nantahala, South Holston, and Clinch, among others, have plenty of 100% wild browns. Almost every creek in western NC has 100% wild browns.

There have been 15 lb 100% wild browns caught out of small creeks in the Smokies that haven't been stocked since the 1930s, too.

With that said, the Hooch is a fine brown trout fishery, for sure.

Browniez

So far, though, GA is still a good bit behind NC and TN on state record browns. Those weren't doughbellies, either. The Nantahala, South Holston, and Clinch, among others, have plenty of 100% wild browns. Almost every creek in western NC has 100% wild browns.

There have been 15 lb 100% wild browns caught out of small creeks in the Smokies that haven't been stocked since the 1930s, too.

With that said, the Hooch is a fine brown trout fishery, for sure.

I’m telling you that the Georgia record would be pushing 27-28 if John McClosky hadn’t released that fish in 2016. And it’s not the biggest one there.

It also wasn’t caught in 1998.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m telling you that the Georgia record would be pushing 27 if John McClosky hadn’t released that fish in 2016. And it’s not the biggest one there.

It also wasn’t caught in 1998.
I doubt if the biggest ones anywhere have been caught. They didn't get that big by getting caught, did they? :)

The NC record was caught by somebody fishing where they really shouldn't have been.

Browniez

I doubt if the biggest ones anywhere have been caught. They didn't get that big by getting caught, did they? :)

The NC record was caught by somebody fishing where they really shouldn't have been.

I was under the distinct impression that gentleman had rights to fish below the Nanty Powerhouse because he was an employee/former employee of Duke Power.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was under the distinct impression that gentleman had rights to fish below the Nanty Powerhouse because he was an employee/former employee of Duke Power.
Yep, but it was a place that the general public can't fish.