Turkey baiting?

sman

Yes.

Just not within 200 yards or line of sight.

Mudfeather

Just so you know...The law does not state the above..It is up to the individual ranger but most are told to enforce it the way the guys said above...however...You can be charged according to the law if any bait is on the property and the Ranger feels the need to...

fountain

All depends on the mood of the DNR man...200 and out of sight might fly or you be in the front of 1000 acres with a feeder running in the back and the whole place may be deemed "baited"
A grey area that needs to be fixed. With more and more people supplemental feeding deer and/or hogs, it can get a bit hairy

fishtail

For the correct answer, see page 30 of the current regulations.

"Generally, you may not hunt turkeys within 200 yards or within line of site of bait."

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
For the correct answer, see page 30 of the current regulations.

"Generally, you may not hunt turkeys within 200 yards or within line of site of bait."

This. ^

Just so you know...The law does not state the above..It is up to the individual ranger but most are told to enforce it the way the guys said above...however...You can be charged according to the law if any bait is on the property and the Ranger feels the need to...

But this also. ^

It does need to be addressed.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Gray area for sure but my take has been that scratch feed/cracked corn/bird seed means you are feeding turkeys. Soured corn is a hog specific bait. A spin feeder full of corn could go either way.
DNR please spell it out for us.

lampern

Thanks all.

Just legalize it for turkeys to cut out all grey areas and allow hog baiting on the same clubs?

turkeykirk

Thanks all.

Just legalize it for turkeys to cut out all grey areas and allow hog baiting on the same clubs?

Legalizing bait for turkeys would be the end for turkey hunting. Just add a pop up blind to the corn pile and pick your gobblers out. Couldn't get any easier.

lampern

Legalizing bait for turkeys would be the end for turkey hunting. Just add a pop up blind to the corn pile and pick your gobblers out. Couldn't get any easier.

So how do you allow baiting of hogs during turkey season without any "gray" areas or feeding of deer year around?

I guess you simply have to allow baiting of turkeys? :confused:

I'm just asking. I think the only workable solution is to allow baiting of turkeys?

turkeykirk

Don't know of a solution. Turkeys will stick with the corn until it's gone.

Gaswamp

just need to end bait/feed period....worse thing they (legistors) did to southern zone.

cowhornedspike

So how do you allow baiting of hogs during turkey season without any "gray" areas or feeding of deer year around?

I guess you simply have to allow baiting of turkeys? :confused:

I'm just asking. I think the only workable solution is to allow baiting of turkeys?

You don't. Either quit baiting/feeding during turkey season or keep baiting/feeding and don't hunt that property for turkeys.

I use the Boss Buck feeders for deer and simply cap off all of the feeding tubes before turkey season and remove the caps once we are done with turkeys for the season. The deer can find plenty to eat on their own for 6 weeks.

No matter what they eventually allow for deer I am 100% sure GA will never allow baiting of turkeys.

lampern

You don't. Either quit baiting/feeding during turkey season or keep baiting/feeding and don't hunt that property for turkeys.

I use the Boss Buck feeders for deer and simply cap off all of the feeding tubes before turkey season and remove the caps once we are done with turkeys for the season. The deer can find plenty to eat on their own for 6 weeks.

No matter what they eventually allow for deer I am 100% sure GA will never allow baiting of turkeys.

I disagree. GA has politicians not biologists setting baiting seasons. There is no telling what politicians will do.

Most biologists will tell you baiting is just bad, period!

There is NO difference in baiting deer, bear or turkey. It just not good wildlife management.

Will-dawg

I disagree. GA has politicians not biologists setting baiting seasons. There is no telling what politicians will do.

Most biologists will tell you baiting is just bad, period!

There is NO difference in baiting deer, bear or turkey. It just not good wildlife management.

I believe there is a difference in baiting deer, bear or turkey. Turkeys don't eat at night!! Think about it