Turkey Broadheads

4x4Taco

I just got picked for a archery only WMA Turkey hunt. I have killed many a Gobbler with a shotgun but never with a crossbow. Is there a certain head that you prefer for turkey. I deer hunt with G5 Montec heads and was planning to use the same heads for turkey unless you tell me that there is a difference. I am thinking shot placement is more important than what head I use. What do you think.

Last edited:

deast1988

Mechanical, big cut rage, grim reaper whitetail, raptor trick, schwacker. I want trauma I’m goin to run whitetail specials this spring. I’m setting some blinds wanna try a bird with my new bow.

John2

I use cheap mechanicals. I think last one I got was a cheap Allen 3 blade mechanical. Huge cutting diameter and poor penetration. You want the arrow to stay in the bird if possible.

No sense in using $15 broadhead on a 20lb bird.

BowanaLee

I’m with the crowd on placement being the most important. I’m shooting what groups best.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The only one I’ve ever shot with archery was with a China rage hypodermic, and it worked !

pine floor

All works as said above. I use Slick Tricks 125 fixed, no problems, Magnus also, called the manufacturer, supposedly the ones I shoot are no longer in production, 2" wide by 2"3'4 long. Just have to make them bigger ones fly right.

PF

hambone76

For body shots, try the 150gr Swhacker 2 blade heads. They have a 3” cutting diameter. I believe there is also a 3” cutting diameter 3 blade head made by Trophy Ridge. The Tom Bomb is the name if I remember correctly.

My 9 year old Daughter used her crossbow and made a neck shot on a Jake during the youth weekend this season. The bird died instantly upon being shot. If you want to shoot them in the neck, get some of the broadheads made to sever the neck/head.
To get these to work on a crossbow, I removed the cocking stirrup from her crossbow and replaced it with one made from numerous, individual strands of 550 cord. I put a cobra weave of 550 cord over it to keep the strands together. It folds down out of the way when shouldered and is back behind the broadhead plenty far enough that it doesn’t interfere. This new setup is plenty strong enough to allow me to pull the string back safely and will allow a Magnus Bullhead or Gobbler Guillotine broadhead to clear while on a 22” long bolt.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was looking at turkey Broadhead s on eBay and they seem to lean towards neck severing type super wide cutting surfaces.