Turkey hunting tales.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Having worked a gobbler for a week with no success, I finally had a plan to fool him. Came in from a different direction, set up close to his roost. When he began gobbling, I clucked softly. It was still dark as I sat half way down the side of a ridge in Macon Co. Al. Noticed a dark shadow going up the ridge to my right. In the dark it looked like it could be a bobcat, but it wasn't. On top of the ridge he gobbled. He had me pinned down so, I was afraid to move or call. Daylight came and a hen walked past within ten feet heading south. As I watched her going away, the gobbler joined her about fifty yards from where I sat. With nothing to lose, I picked up the box call and yelped. The gobbler folded his fan and came right to the sights on the old thirty dollar shotgun at about 20 yards. Boom and it was all over, but got me to thinking. Either I'm the best turkey caller in the South, or she was the ugliest hen in the woods.
Photo of the old bird, he deserved to go on the wall. I mounted this turkey when I was in the taxidermy business in Beulah Al. 80's.

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_133613228.jpg
    IMG_20190412_133613228.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 24

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
On another hunt, was guiding a local fellow from Opelika Al. Two mornings in a row, we had called to a couple gobblers that were hanging together. Each morning, call as I may, they flew down and went in the opposite direction. Third morning, softly clucking to the two birds while on the roost got them to gobbling. But when they flew down, they went in the opposite direction. When guiding others on a hunt, you never know how much experience they might have, or not have. As the two gobblers moved away I told the fellow we were going to try something different. Explained to him that we would follow the gobblers. Then when close enough I would set him up for a shot. I would drop back and gobble hoping the two gobblers would come to whip me. It worked, I gobbled, the two gobblers came back, jumped up on a log in front of my client. It was then he turned around and asked. "Are those gobblers"? No, he didn't get a turkey.

wvdawg

Staff member
facepalm: :rofl: Guess you gotta learn somewhere!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
One turkey season in Miller Co. Ga. Had a friend offer some number five shot he had. They looked good, so I took them. First morning out, called a gobbler in, shot at his head. The turkey jumped up and ran off. Next morning, shot another gobbler, he jumped up and ran off. That's when I began wondering about those free shells. Cut one open and the shot was almost powder. Back at camp, asked the fellow how old were those shells? He said he didn't know but had then for many years. Discarded the rest of his shells and loaded up with my own, that I knew were good. Next morning, rolled one of those gobblers. I'm not an expert turkey hunter, but I have lucked into a few. Shucks, I even called up ten jakes at one time, you gotta be half good to do that.

Hillbilly stalker

Reminds me of a hunt I had one time. I used to be a hard core turkey hunter, ran or shine everyday until I limited out. The WMA I was hunting was about an hour drive from the house, down a really ruff road. I would drive down there if an evening and walk a couple miles back in there to roost a bird, and be back an hour before daylight to dance with him.It was pretty ruff country full of nasty deep draws and real steep hills. I went back there one morning early in the year before the leaves were out. I had a bird pegged, thought I had him tied out on a leash. I just knew he was a dead bird walking. I snuck in there tight to him and gave a few soft tree yelps just to get his attention. Well it broke daylight and he started hammering it, he would break into half strut on the limb. It was about more than a fellows nerves could take. The bird flew down and started easing my way in full strut. PUTT PUTT.....he folded up and was gone off the side of the ridge. I thought “ what in the wild wild world of sports “, about that time I seen 2 rookies walking around the low gap wearing blaze orange vests and capsfacepalm:. Ol bird saw them a mile off. They walked up towards me and told me I needed to put some orange on. Such is the life of a WMA hunter. It took a few minutes ....but I finally laughed it off.:biggrin3:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My wife’s 1st turkey. She had a broke leg so I set up a blind. Got her some hen decoys set up in a little food plot. See up and down a road. I went down to a creek bottom area. Bird started up at daylite. He was gobbling to every note. He was gobbling to her sassy hen call. Bird steps out from her coming to me over a hundred yards from her. She shot just to scare him from coming to me. ?
Bird ran in pines. (That was her 1st shot) I said to my self she just shot at that bird way away. 30 minutes go by then I hear here call and he gobbled. Then I heard him gobble where she was. she shoot again. I said well may as walk up there then. About the time I get up too she shoots again and Yells I got him. shes 50 yards from her stand.
Any way 1st shot was to run him off from me. 30 minutes later he steps out close. She calls he runs in. Head shoots it. She said it when straight up then feel straight down. Stubbles up walking every which way so she gobbled out after him and hits him in the head again. her 1st turkey. I’ll dig up pics of it later. That’s how this all got started 20 plus years ago.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Turkey hunting in Collier Co. Fl back in the 1950's. Buddy and I sat back to back against a small cypress tree as I called. Turkeys shut up and we were wondering why. Well, here came a fellow stalking us. He passed just a few yards from us and didn't spot us. I said, "Nice day isn't it"? He jumped and hollered, "Don't shoot". We were miles from any hard road, and had never seen another soul back in there.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The down side of sitting against a tree while calling. My Dad killed a bobcat that almost jumped on him in South Fl. I had a bobcat almost jump me, and when I tried to scare it off, It began spraying the trees and bushes as he walked off, looking back often. He was one mad cat. Had a bobcat jump a jake decoy, destroyed the fan. Also have had a group of coyotes run up on a decoy. Know of a couple folks who were bitten by bobcats. I don't sit in the open anymore.

Timber1

BANNED
I took this guy down to one of my public land spots and we set up and I called a bird across the wma line up a logging road. As he was on his way a hen come down off the ridge to our right toward him. I got up and snuck down a dry creek bed and threw some rocks at the hen and scared her off. Went back up sat down and called the gobbler on in. My shooter had set up in front and to the left of me but had put a big tangle of honeysuckle between him and the bird. I could see the bird as he followed the road closer and closer. About 15 yards out the road turned and the gobbler walked right in behind the honeysuckle about 10 yards in front of the shooter. Stopped and gobbled. Shooter whispered I can see his beard and chest but no neck. I could stiIl see the bird was standing straight up. I whispered back 6 inches up tad to the right, shoot. He knocked that bird a loop.