Turkey in the Straw

herb mcclure

How many of you ole' timers remember that ole' classic turkey song from many years ago. Bill Monrow and the Smokey Mountain Boys made it very popular, with their picking and singing.
I was watching an old movie about " A young Abe Lincoln", starring a youngster by the name of Henry Fonda, who was picking on a juice-harp: (Turkey in the Straw), which brought back forgotten memories of that song. With nothing better to do and it raining and cold outside; I decided to write my own version to it; with the help of Mary, my wife.
Turkey in Woods Yelp, Yelp, Yelp Yelp!
Turkey in the Leaves, Yelp, Yelp, Yelp!
Well, I have old turkey caller I have used for over fifty years and it has served me well.
Best 'ole turkey caller I ever did sell and it has called more gobblers than I would ever tell.
But another diaphragm would serve it well!
Chorus:
Turkey in the Woods, Yelp, Yelp, Yelp!
Well, a turkey was scratching in the leaves and he looks up at me.
Oh, now he's sailing away from me!
I wanted to learn how to hunt because I didn't know much.
I called too loud and way too much.
I learned turkeys in the leaves like kick' em up high, turkeys in the woods can scratch 'em up like you wouldn't believe.
Chorus:
Well if a turkey could smell, I 'd like to tell, how hard it would be to make a kill.
So, I sat down in the leaves and rewrote "Turkey in the Straw", with a squirrel winking at me.
Chorus:
Well, it's almost dark now and it's a long way down the trail to where I am parked.
So, I get up and walk the trail back to a stream that I cross on a log, to where I parked
Chorus:
Friends don't ask me to sing, I can only Yelp, Yelp, Yelp!