Turkey Invades Syria

NOTNKSNEMOR

I have to admit this one has me conflicted.
I spent time in Ankara in 2003. Then, it was a more secular country, very welcoming of this westerner and I learned a lot about Turkish history.
You would see women in burkas walking arm in arm with their daughters in daisy duke shorts and cut off tank tops.
Even then there was conflict with the PKK, with a small bombing about a mile from our hotel, but they primarily targeted non-populated areas, i.e. parked buses, etc.

That administration pretty much tolerated the PKK much like the U.S. does ANTIFA now.

The current Turkish admin is not friendly to U.S. interests.

The Kurds were very supportive of the U.S in recent conflicts.

Should we be appreciative of the Kurds help in the fight on ISIS? Yes!

Are the Kurds helping in Syria the same ones as the PPK Turkey has been fighting for decades? I don't know!

Should we be forever in the middle east? No!

Logically, I have to side with Trump and not get drawn into a battle between the Turks and Kurds that's not part of our original mission in the region, but rather try to facilitate an agreement between the two sides.

Just my .02

Thread starter #6
Logically, I have to side with Trump and not get drawn into a battle between the Turks and Kurds that's not part of our original mission in the region, but rather try to facilitate an agreement between the two sides.

Just my .02
I could go for this but I'm fed up with these "police actions" that never end.

NOTNKSNEMOR

I could go for this but I'm fed up with these "police actions" that never end.
I agree, "police action" was not in my thought process.

There will always be conflict in that region.
The Turk/Kurd Show is fixing to premier.
Give them one opportunity to come to a mediated agreement (6 months of mediated negotiation) after that, have at it, we'll deal with the aftermath.

Gator89

I can argue both sides, but if the option is to garrison N. Syria until the crack of doom, or let Turks, Persians, Babylonians, Israelis, Kurds, and Arabs do with each other what they have been doing since the dawn of civilization in that area without our help, I'll go with the latter.

Syria has never been in the USA's sphere of influence. The Kurds cannot hide behind the USA forever and we cannot house and feed the European based captured ISIS fighters forever.

Unless you support our forces there indefinitely, then accept that there will never be a good time to leave. If there is never a good time, then the best time is now.

We met our End State. Go home.

I know empire is a habit, time to start breaking it.
https://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2019 ... -work.html

Big7

I spent time in Ankara in 2003. Then, it was a more secular country, very welcoming of this westerner and I learned a lot about Turkish history.
You would see women in burkas walking arm in arm with their daughters in daisy duke shorts and cut off tank tops.
Even then there was conflict with the PKK, with a small bombing about a mile from our hotel, but they primarily targeted non-populated areas, i.e. parked buses, etc.

That administration pretty much tolerated the PKK much like the U.S. does ANTIFA now.

The current Turkish admin is not friendly to U.S. interests.

The Kurds were very supportive of the U.S in recent conflicts.

Should we be appreciative of the Kurds help in the fight on ISIS? Yes!

Are the Kurds helping in Syria the same ones as the PPK Turkey has been fighting for decades? I don't know!

Should we be forever in the middle east? No!

Just my .02
Pretty mu
...and Liz Cheney weighs in...lol
I missed that. What's the story?

Kurds had our back. Turkey never has. They need to be kicked out of NATO..

rayjay

Trump is a genius. American soldiers out of harms way, ragheads near to total war. Dems and Rinos whining about it. Win win.

finnhunter

You're not alone. I shudder to think what will happen with the Kurds. What if these were Israelis we talked about? Would you guys still say, we need to stay away from the Middle East, let them fight with each other, like they've been doing since the beginning of time?

I wouldn’t know a Kurd if he bit my dog. The first time I ever heard of one was in the guns of navarone. He was the idiot listening at the door. As far as leaving them on the battle field it’s just what we do. Remember the Montagnards in Vietnam.
It’s about oil and always has been . We don’t need their oil no more.

Last edited:
Thread starter #15
You're not alone. I shudder to think what will happen with the Kurds. What if these were Israelis we talked about? Would you guys still say, we need to stay away from the Middle East, let them fight with each other, like they've been doing since the beginning of time?
Let's look at it from the cold, dispassionate national security side of things. There is nothing for us in Syria of any value whatsoever. The Kurds have had more than a decade to get their act together. Israel is truly a strategic ally and if they get in a cutting scrape we don't have to bail them out or protect them from anybody unless they get in neck deep and so far they haven't. Then there's the fact we've been over there killing people small ball style since early 2002 and nothing has changed and that's after spending trillions of USD and thousands of patriots lives. Finally, we are oil and natural gas independent.

Naw suh. I don't have a thing against the Kurds but it's time we come home and let them all kill each other off. I really don't care what the rest of the world thinks about us leaving and if they make too much noise embargo all of their trash from coming in this country and don't even issue a single 7 day travel visa to any of their citizens. We are stupid for allowing the politicians to keep us over there for as long as they have.

NOYDB

Mr. Know It All
I wouldn’t know a Kurd if he bit my dog. The first time I ever heard of one was in the guns of navarone. He was the idiot listening at the door. As far as leaving them on the battle field it’s just what we do. Remember the Montagnards in Vietnam.
It’s about oil and always have been . We don’t need their oil no more.
I didn't know any still remembered them.

NOYDB

Mr. Know It All
All I remember was when we joined dad in Singapore for his tour there. We flew into Viet Nam 90% of the flight got off. All oil people.

finnhunter

elfii, the reason Kurds haven't got their act together is because 3 countries don't allow them. Turkey, Syria and Iran all have sizable Kurd population, none of them want an independent Kurdistan.

I get what you're trying to say and I agree with the premise of it, us getting the **** out of ME. However, the way Kurds have been thrown under the (Turkish) bus is a serious mistake IMO and it will come back and haunt us. I do not support Trump on this. What if Obama would have made the same decision? We'd be yelling and screaming on this forum on how wrong Obama was.

The cold, hard truth is that US abandoned its ally. Pure and simple.