Turpentine...

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Sounds exactly like my Saturday evening so all I got to say is STAY OUT OF MY SPOT WILL YA!
Well y'all it was an absolute perfect day in the woods!!! "To mess it all up"
Went into a a random spot, found what looked like a good trail to hunt. Thought I post about 20 yards from it. (It was dark) come to find out I was right on there main trailfacepalm:. About 10 minutes after first light I had ten different tree rats running all over the place around me. About 30 mins after first light I was watching a little fella to my left, I heard what I thought was another to my right turned to look and Bam there was a spike at 10 yards heading to me. When I turned my head he stopped. I had sat my bow on the ground a little prior to this so I could get to my chew.facepalm: Not that it would have helped to have it in my hands. We had a stare down. He stomped and kept doing the head bob. Silly fella decided to change dirrection. So I waited for him to get a little distance and picked up my bow. I was waiting for him to circle back around but some how my attention was back on them ugly tree rats.facepalm: I remembered i was waiting on him to Circle so I looked to my left and there he was looking right at me with a perfect broad side shot at 40. The problem.... This time he seen me move. He took off. I tickeled some antlers together hoping I could confuse the young deer and get em back in to rangefacepalm:. It did not work of course. (Yeah I thought the same thing after I did that). I decided to move to a different spot after about 30 mins. Still I had great vibes. I stalked for about 30 mins and my gut just started screaming stop! Post up here do not go any further. I stood in that spot for about 15 mins just looking around. Going against my instincts I pushed fwdfacepalm:. I walked about 15 more yards and spoked a doe that was heading towards me on the same trail at about 40 yards. Had I of listened to my self and sat down I would have had her. At this point I was disappointed in my self. I usually don't make mistakes in the woods. Not like this, in my defense I am of my game and I was very tierd. I decided to push fwd a little further. I came to an area with some huge trees. One of witch I seen and thought to myself "dang if I was a fox tail that would be my tree" I posted near it with hopes of seeing a fox tail while I wait for a deer to wonder her way through the area. Again I had sat my bow at my feet facepalm:. I shut my eyes and was going to take a quick power nap. I did. Something big!!! something huge!!!! woke me from my rest. Opening my eyes and easing my head in the direction of the noise there he was. A beautiful fox squirrel, charcoal with a white underbelly (or so it seemed) i thought to myself good job turpentine you are getting good at finding these guys, he scampered away as I picked up my BOW from the ground to take a PICTURE for this thread. facepalm:. I was done I headed home and slept my Sunday away.
O yeah I jumped a rabbit on the way in that I thought was a snake scared the heck out of me.
Freezer is empty, (deer 2/ turpentine 0)
I'm going to regroup and head back out some time this week.

Turpentine

Went out this morning to get it done.
Sacrificed meet in the freezer for a solid black fox squirrel. (Miss)
Went back out this evening seen a huge black fox squirrel with a grayish back (Miss). about 5 to 10 deer (2 different groups) out of range. Showed a new friend a good spot. He didn't make a kill but had an epic hunt.
Fox squirrel 3 turpentine 0
Deer 4 turpentine 0

Turpentine

Did some back yard hunting this evening, had a young deer walk about 20 yards. I gave it the pass thinking there would be a bigger doe close by.
Deer 5- Turpentine 0

Turpentine

I sat against a tree yesterday with vines growing all around it. There was just enough room to move my bow around. The vines had enough windows in them in case I was presented with an opportunity. It is similar to sitting in a blind. A few deer running down the ridge next to me. I'm assuming another Hunter spoked them from up top. Anyways about an hour after light I checked over my shoulder and there was a fox squirrel on a log about 70 yards up the hill. I watched him as he walked across. Following him my eyes picked up a flicker. I knew what it was. I turned around checked my area and then moved my self into a ready position. I couldn't stand up because there was no windows. I had to hunt from my knees. I watched as the doe and her youngen slowly made there way down. Then there was my chance a broad side shot at 40. I waited for a closer shot. She started heading right to me but never stopped. She made it to 10 before she saw me. A quick stare down and then she ran blowing right back up the hill side. I just lowered my head in disappointed and then sat in my original spot. I opened a can of boiled peanut and observed 3 different fox squirrel for the next hour or so. Then I headed out.
(Deer 6 - Turp 0)
I also found a blood trail from a hunters harvest the day before. Now that was random.

Turpentine

I really need to buckle down and make this happen. I am running out of time to make a easier harvert. The deer are becoming alert from all the hunters myself included and are starting to push out of the area. I have a couple spots for hunting bucks but I don't want to put pressure on em until pre rut. I need to utilize this area and put meat in the fridge.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Here`s one for you. This squirrel was sick.

fox squirrel 1.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Thanks Nick, he has quite a few colors on him. What is he sick from?

I`m not sure. His hair wasn`t even laying right on him. I walked up within 5 feet of it. It didnt act like I was even there.

Turpentine

I`m not sure. His hair wasn`t even laying right on him. I walked up within 5 feet of it. It didnt act like I was even there.
That's quite odd I imagine. Maybe a fight? Hawk? Something but he is a handsome fella and I hope he makes a recovery. I got a photo of one with it's head poking out a tree hole. I'ma try and load it. It's on a different phone so I'ma go hunt down some WiFi.