Turtle Shell Calls

rutandstrut

I picked these Turtle Shells up earlier this year at the "Frontiers Days" Celebration. I decided to see of I could make them into a useable Slate Call and this is what I came up with! The Strikers Balances were turned out of Burly Koa Wood showing some Sap Wood and fitted with Gobbler Wingbones to Strike the Slate! They sound so good, one will probably be riding in my Vest this Fall or next Spring!

DSC03837.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03839.jpg

DSC03840.jpg

Last edited:

Turkeydoghunter

Hey Tim do ever remove the skin ??? I like it better skin off you can have the shell inscribed or have it painted with art work or a camo design ....I also have some with a Cedar sound board circa 1969 E.O Mithcell Big turk ....he also made one that incorporates cedar sound board with a 1" strip of slate sounds awesome made em in the 80-90s....food for thought ....all the best Ron...ps I love the wing bone striker

rutandstrut

Hey Tim do ever remove the skin ??? I like it better skin off you can have the shell inscribed or have it painted with art work or a camo design ....I also have some with a Cedar sound board circa 1969 E.O Mithcell Big turk ....he also made one that incorporates cedar sound board with a 1" strip of slate sounds awesome made em in the 80-90s....food for thought ....all the best Ron...ps I love the wing bone striker

I have some shells I found in the woods with the skin off. I have never made a call using them. I sent most of the to Ryan (shotstop) who worked his magic on them.

These shells are small enough to fit in your hand and had almost perfect skins. The larger one is only missing one scale. These shells were small enough that the shell works well as the sound board. I also used much thicker slate to make these calls. They sound really good to me! I may try making one of the larger shells with a cedar board.

Last edited: