TVM Late Lancaster Kit

leoparddog

Senior Member
Thread starter #81
I won't post this photo on ALR Forum, I might get banned or cursed to Flintlock purgatory. I wanted this patch box lid to stay closed and didn't want to pay $30 for a complicated PB release mechanism but I got these small strong magnets that are coned for screw heads and this holds with about 3# of force. Enough to stay closed until I want it to open. So I cut a 3/8" diameter piece of rod to match the 3/8" diameter magnet and it went in just slick. I'm pretty tickled with it. No one will know but me (and you) unless I open the BP lid and show them. 20180605_212355.jpg
 

Darkhorse

Senior Member
#82
If you are happy with it then that's what counts. I would definitely not post that on the ALR Forum, some of those guys just lie in wait for something not exactly PC.
The main thing I see is a stiff limb could grab it just right and open it, where a latch would hold it secure.
It can happen. I've replaced the stopper on my powder horn several times because a limb yanked it out, broke the leather and launched it out into the wilderness.
 

leoparddog

Senior Member
Thread starter #83
One thing I like about this solution is that it can be temporary. Nothing stops me from removing it and using the hole for a spring release and putting the catch on the inside of the lid.

I've started browning the barrel and the stock finishing began this afternoon. I put a coat of Tannin on the stock and will apply the AQF probably before bed.
As humid as it was today, I got 3 coats of the LMF Browning done between last night and dinner time. I scaled it back after the 3rd coat with some steel wool where it was getting a bit hairy and have put it back outside for coat #4. I might have to do a 5th coat to cover a weird spot that was uneven and then scaled back to bare metal very easily.
 
Last edited:

leoparddog

Senior Member
Thread starter #85
Huzzah! I got the color where I wanted it. Now just for the final buffing and finish coats. The barrel also got browned. I'll be shooting it next weekend! 20180609_222901.jpg 20180609_223054.jpg
 

Darkhorse

Senior Member
#86
I like it. What was your process for staining the stock? The last time I stained a maple stock I did not have a good source for AQF, also I was concerned about reports that it sometimes turned green after a few years.
So I used LMF stains and Jim Chambers original oil finish. That finish is some good stuff.
 

leoparddog

Senior Member
Thread starter #87
I gave it a tannin wash + Jim Kibler's Iron Nitrate on that first coat that turned black. It turned into a very dark brown. Nice but not what I wanted. I buffed it almost all out and then did a second run of the Iron Nitrate and after blushing with the heat gun, put on a a coat of LMF Maple stain. This is just how it turned out when I ran some Linseed Oil over it using a very fine Scotchbrite pad and a wipe with on old T-shirt.
 
Top