TVM Late Lancaster Kit

leoparddog

I won't post this photo on ALR Forum, I might get banned or cursed to Flintlock purgatory. I wanted this patch box lid to stay closed and didn't want to pay $30 for a complicated PB release mechanism but I got these small strong magnets that are coned for screw heads and this holds with about 3# of force. Enough to stay closed until I want it to open. So I cut a 3/8" diameter piece of rod to match the 3/8" diameter magnet and it went in just slick. I'm pretty tickled with it. No one will know but me (and you) unless I open the BP lid and show them.20180605_212355.jpg

Darkhorse

If you are happy with it then that's what counts. I would definitely not post that on the ALR Forum, some of those guys just lie in wait for something not exactly PC.
The main thing I see is a stiff limb could grab it just right and open it, where a latch would hold it secure.
It can happen. I've replaced the stopper on my powder horn several times because a limb yanked it out, broke the leather and launched it out into the wilderness.

leoparddog

One thing I like about this solution is that it can be temporary. Nothing stops me from removing it and using the hole for a spring release and putting the catch on the inside of the lid.

I've started browning the barrel and the stock finishing began this afternoon. I put a coat of Tannin on the stock and will apply the AQF probably before bed.
As humid as it was today, I got 3 coats of the LMF Browning done between last night and dinner time. I scaled it back after the 3rd coat with some steel wool where it was getting a bit hairy and have put it back outside for coat #4. I might have to do a 5th coat to cover a weird spot that was uneven and then scaled back to bare metal very easily.

Last edited:

leoparddog

Huzzah! I got the color where I wanted it. Now just for the final buffing and finish coats. The barrel also got browned. I'll be shooting it next weekend! 20180609_222901.jpg20180609_223054.jpg

Darkhorse

I like it. What was your process for staining the stock? The last time I stained a maple stock I did not have a good source for AQF, also I was concerned about reports that it sometimes turned green after a few years.
So I used LMF stains and Jim Chambers original oil finish. That finish is some good stuff.

leoparddog

I gave it a tannin wash + Jim Kibler's Iron Nitrate on that first coat that turned black. It turned into a very dark brown. Nice but not what I wanted. I buffed it almost all out and then did a second run of the Iron Nitrate and after blushing with the heat gun, put on a a coat of LMF Maple stain. This is just how it turned out when I ran some Linseed Oil over it using a very fine Scotchbrite pad and a wipe with on old T-shirt.

leoparddog

And it is done. I've shot it some and have it on paper but need to adjust the sights some more. I'll take it out for some woodsy photos soon so these will have to do. Thank you to Darkhorse and SASS249 for your advice and everyone for your encouragement. I'm sure I'll build another one starting in the fall20180625_205114.jpg20180625_205139.jpg20180625_205202.jpg

Darkhorse

Excellent work. Truly superb for a first rifle. Are you going to give that lock a tune now?

leoparddog

Thank you Darkhorse. Not sure what's involved in lock tuning. I'll go do some searching over on ALR. So far I have about 30 shots through it with just a couple of misfires that were most likely related to keeping the TH clear.

Darkhorse

Don't expect much from AL on lock tuning. Several reasons, a lot of builders don't really know that much about it. Those that do either are not comfortable giving that info on the net because done wrong it can be dangerous, or they just don't want to give out the secrets.
Mr. LC Rice was sorta my mentor on lock tuning, but it took several sessions of him asking questions and me answering before he would help me.
Give me a few days and I'll sent you a PM.

wedgebolt

Your rifle really looks good. Thanks for the inspiration. This winter I will be asking you for advice when I start my build.

leoparddog

Thanks Wedgebolt. I'll be happy to help if I can. I tried to post "my lessons learned" on this thread so I can come back and read them all again and not have to learn that lesson twice. Lots of good resources over on the ALR forum too. Personally, I found the books I bought to be very helpful as well as suggestions and examples here from SASS and Darkhorse.

I look forward to seeing your build thread this winter.

Darkhorse

That is a nice bag. I like the bear and animal tracks on the front flap. Just out of curiosity, how much would a bag like that cost?

leoparddog

Thanks PDSniper. I just bought a double shoulder of leather from Tandys and thought I'd try to make one. It won't be nearly as nice as that though.