Two missing on Lake Lanier in boat accident

l8rg8r

Familiar with sonar limitations to all those who posted a reply explaining apples and oranges.

Even with Down Imaging, Side Imaging, Totalscan, Chirp, etc short of having the US Navy conducting the search operation, we are dealing with our local officials[ best efforts in searching for this last victim. The search area from BR5 to the mouth of Bald Ridge Creek -is approximately 300+ acres. After 3 days it could be even greater if the dam water release has affected the body location.

It is unfortunate the the best option, which was to have been wearing a PFD (if it turns out that in fact the bass boat was running when the accident occurred) does not seem to have been the case making the grief even greater without a body for 3 days. It seems a logical assumption the bass boat was moving given the extent of front/port side damage of the bass boat and the impact location of the mid starboard section son the other vessel that was involved. No matter how the facts of how it occurred turn out, whether a survival impact of not, wearing a PFD clearly would have helped rescue or recovery.

In the end, the best insurance in either a rescue or recovery situation is to find a PFD you will wear. In looking at PFDs today, I was surprised to see how minimal the size of the new units are today, especially those with automatic inflation upon water entry and with price points of under $100. The choice of wearing a PFD or not is about the only choice we control in some boating situations.

natureman

I read some lake flow/current information gathered for a lawsuit 25 years ago when there were several drownings on the north side of West Bank Park which is close to the dam. Seems current was negligible to unmeasurable during generation. On the other had it was measurable though slight in the original river channel (county line on map) 1/2 mile away from the dam. So I don't know how much of a factor current would be in this accident.
topomap.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just curious if anyone knows any details of what happened !

Latest posts