Two missing on Lake Lanier in boat accident

Coenen

Literally down the street from my home, less than a mile from my dock.

Pure speculation, but my guess is that the fishermen were setup on the point/reef marker on the North Side of Little Ridge Island. The other boat would have been coming up Bald Ridge channel from the main lake, and went to cut the corner towards Mary Alice instead of swinging wide. Low evening sun would have blinded the operator and the collision would have been the result.

Almost got run over in the kayak twice in 15 minutes last year under similar circumstances. Wrote the first guy off as a jerk, started using my head after the second guy and realized they were literally flying blind through that part of the channel.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Pure speculation, but my guess is that the fishermen were setup on the point/reef marker on the North Side of Little Ridge Island. The other boat would have been coming up Bald Ridge channel from the main lake, and went to cut the corner towards Mary Alice instead of swinging wide. Low evening sun would have blinded the operator and the collision would have been the result.

Almost got run over in the kayak twice in 15 minutes last year under similar circumstances. Wrote the first guy off as a jerk, started using my head after the second guy and realized they were literally flying blind through that part of the channel.
Could be, but almost every time I've ever about got run over on a lake, it was by either a ski boat with the driver looking back at the skier, or a bass boat going at high speed. It's easy to speculate, but who knows what the facts are?

Sad situation for sure.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Sounds more like the bass boat hit the cruiser at full speed.
Rather than a cruiser running over the bass fisherman. Who knows?

Coenen

More or less.

News report says the incident occurred earlier in the evening, so my initial speculation is probably incorrect.(They often are)

That area has a lot of traffic and can be dangerous if you don't have your head on a swivel. Even more so early or late in the day when conditions can conspire to impair an operator's vision.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
More or less.

News report says the incident occurred earlier in the evening, so my initial speculation is probably incorrect.(They often are)

That area has a lot of traffic and can be dangerous if you don't have your head on a swivel. Even more so early or late in the day when conditions can conspire to impair an operator's vision.

Spot on. Often you can’t even here them coming. Head on a swivel and staying out of high traffic spots is the key to survival.

Scout'nStripers

LJ and I were coming back into Bald Ridge on our way to my dock yesterday evening and passed by the scene shortly after it happened. As Paul already mentioned, that point is a bad intersection for boats coming into and out of the two marinas and boats coming in and out of the bays adjacent to the point in question. You have to look for oncoming traffic before entering the creek channel from that point.
Prayers for all involved.

As a whole, Bald Ridge and Lanier are getting worse and worse every year and if you are a bass fisherman on Lake Lanier wearing an auto inflatable PFD may save your life someday, especially during the months of increased traffic.

Bigtimber

I think alot of this stuff happens in cars and boats because of speed. Get on I95 and let a rain storm come up.....those suckers just refuse to slow down and theres always one in sight that is in a dealth race going somewhere like a moron. Rain or not there always someone driving WAY TOO FAST. These wreckers around here make at living off of I16 and I95....quite a few accidents anyhow and everytime it pours rain someone in a ditch or much worse like clockwork they tell me. Water is not different about the speed. Doesn't take but a second to change your life forever. Whatever happened its sad situation.

Coenen

LJ and I were coming back into Bald Ridge on our way to my dock yesterday evening and passed by the scene shortly after it happened. As Paul already mentioned, that point is a bad intersection for boats coming into and out of the two marinas and boats coming in and out of the bays adjacent to the point in question. You have to look for oncoming traffic before entering the creek channel from that point.
Prayers for all involved.

As a whole, Bald Ridge and Lanier are getting worse and worse every year and if you are a bass fisherman on Lake Lanier wearing an auto inflatable PFD may save your life someday, especially during the months of increased traffic.
Is that about where it happened? The number of boaters willing to cut to the inside of that reef pole never ceases to amaze me.

I have to admit, when I first heard it was two guys in a bass boat, I actually thought of you and LJ.

It's a tragedy for sure. Hopefully law enforcement can complete the recovery operation quickly, and safely, before the weather turns. I wonder if the Corps will be moved to do something about trying to force boaters to swing wide on that point.

Spook

I met Jim and his buddy about 3 or 4 around mid lake, was praying it was not them when I heard about it. The traffic in Bald Ridge is why we moved to the north end. Still love to fish it though. Big motor on, so is my vest. Mark

PappyHoel

Don’t have all the facts for this case. I’ve been told that Lanier has the most dui arrests of anywhere in Georgia

RamblinWreck

I only fish Lanier on weekdays in the early morning, or at night, from Memorial day to Labor day. Also, what Jim said about an auto PFD is important. It was expensive, but I wear my Mustang Elite if I am on my boat, running or not. It isn't hot, no.