Tybee Island Advice

Rybread710

Hi everyone! I am coming to Tybee Island for Labor Day Weekend and will be looking to do some fishing on Friday. I will be bringing my 17 foot Bass Tracker with me. I am familiar with salt water fishing but have never brought my boat to Tybee before. I would like to target inshore species such as flounder, trout and reds.

I'm not asking for anyone's secret fishing spot, but I am interested in information regarding best place to launch the boat, best areas to focus on for fish, and any areas that I should stay away from due to the tide and/or currents, etc.

Thanks in advance and tight lines!

jfish

friday and saturday maybe ok. after that hurricane dorian will be close enough to make a crappy weather weekend. we will have winds for two days late in the holiday weekend.

Rybread710

Yea I've been watching that. I plan on doing all of my fishing Friday and Saturday and then I have a wedding to attend on Sunday (weather permitting). Any advice on fishing?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Gulp shrimp and gulp swimmin mullet have worked at Tybee for us. Fished on 1/4 oz jig head.
Look for any creek feeder creek mouths and oyster rakes.
If already familiar with Ga coast tide then that's great. If not use caution as to where you and your boat are on outgoing tide. 7 to 8 feet of water leaving in 6 hours is normal. It can leave boaters in the mud for 1/2 a day till next high tide.
Good luck man!

jfish

you may be ok all weekend. wind may get up but you can find some leeward side of things to fish. we do down south. latest track showing it further south now than yesterday evening.

Rybread710

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Those are the baits I have purchased so now I just need the weather to cooperate and the fish to be hungry!!

Any advice on the best place to launch the boat?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I launch at Lazzaretto creek right there before you cross bridge to get to Tybee.
It works great for us.

I would be very careful. High tides and storm surge this weekend

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Food: Desposito's Thunderbolt Island, everything steamed, local dive, but an annual favorite for us. Right next to the marina. A County launch site right there, by the restaurant, seems very popular for the local folks, of course not on Tybee itself, just thinking if the weather turns, it might be a better float. Macceo drive at Wilmington River off Hwy 80 (not Islands Expressway)
Desposito's

Haven't used this one, but it puts you on the back river at Tybee
Tybee Creek Ramp

Include:
-Sugar Shack for ice cream, or breakfast
-The IGA on the island is actually a great store, and prices competitive with home.
-Two junk stores worth visiting during the day, T.S. Chu's Deparment Store and Christy's, both near the pier, on 16th street.

-Fort Screven and the Lighthouse are worth dropping by if you get bored.