U of Alabama Asst. Dean 'resigns' after anti-American tweets discovered

Patriot44

Bet she will be the best liar cheat and thief money can buy. Its sad that we have to have these type of folks in our lives but when I do I want the best one money can buy. Don't worry though MY X mother in law is one of those types and shes pretty ethical and beats people done the old fashioned way
She wants to do international finance law but I told her if she is going to be a liar and a cheat, get a good pair of running shoes and look for the flashing lights. :bounce:

Geno67...you saying that only 10-15 % of the faculty is “conservative”..and has to keep your thoughts to yourself,or face backlash...is sickening to me. Couldn’t do it....
That's just faculty. It's a lot closer to even in staff. In the southeast anyway. Not certain about other regions.

I catch a lot of flack for stating that we need to find a way to keep higher education from being an indoctrination center for the leftists in our culture and it should be the transfer of knowledge, not ideologies that happens when one attends.

I personally don't really mind so much as most of the leftists can't do what I do (also the reason I'm a researcher and not a teacher - lol) and it's what we are doing in our retirement so we can tell them to take a hike whenever we feel like it. Amazingly - that alone seems to make all the difference in the world.

Having been on the faculty of the Air Force Academy and Hillsdale, and having been at West Point when my wife served on the faculty there, I can assure you that there are still conservatives in higher education.

Not many, and most tend to keep their views much quieter on campus. When I was at the Air Force Academy, some students found some old pro-life social media posts of mine and worked pretty hard to get them considered as I was going through a promotion process.
Hat tip to you Drummer Boy. My guess is Hillsdale is probably one of the few eleemosynary institutions of higher learning where the political persuasion of the faculty tilts more to the conservative side, or should I say "classic liberal" side of the spectrum?

Of course I was being facetious but I'll wager I'm not far wrong as to the partisan makeup of the faculty of most colleges these days. Per Geno67 he estimates the right end of the spectrum to represent between 10-15% of the faculty. I don't know if that was his estimate locally or nationally but either way it's illustrative of my point. The two of you are what are referred to as "few and far between" and if the truth comes out you y'all will be even fewer and farther between.

The only issue I have with her is that she ditched studying physics and now is studying to become a liar, cheat and thief.
My greatest regret in life is not pursuing a lying, cheating thief degree and passing the bar. Had I done so, that coupled with my innate lying, cheating thieving talents would have made me king of the world by now. It's real good work if you can get it.:bounce:

My greatest regret in life is not pursuing a lying, cheating thief degree and passing the bar. Had I done so, that coupled with my innate lying, cheating thieving talents would have made me king of the world by now. It's real good work if you can get it.:bounce:
That puts up in the boat without 90% of all accountants I know. Most also seem to forget that it is no no now to practice law since this step in their education and testing was left out.

The tweets were foolish. But I think such foolishness is covered by the concept of "Academic freedom" as it is usually understood to apply to faculty and administrators in higher education.
Negatory ghost rider, Academic Freedom has NEVER been understood to cover administrators. Administrators are NOT academicians ... so simple a caveman can understand it.

I am very happy that my daughter chose to attend a local University for her undergrad Vs. one of the big communist organizations. She is surrounded by kids mostly from the northern Atlanta suburbs where most of the kids have conservative leaning parents. Sure there are some lefty's but the majority of the kids were raised conservative or libertarian. Furthermore, she will graduate with her undergrad degree basically debt free.

The only issue I have with her is that she ditched studying physics and now is studying to become a liar, cheat and thief.
So you wanted her to work for the Clintons?

1A does NOT protect anyone from the private or social consequences of "protected" speech. The guy can say anything he wants, and everyone else (not in government) can take any reasonable and legal action they desire in response. Firing the moron for being a leftist idiot is NOT a violation of his 1st Amendment rights!
Yes it is. If the employer is a government institution, employees retain full 1st Amendment rights for actions taken outside their official duties.

Per Geno67 he estimates the right end of the spectrum to represent between 10-15% of the faculty. I don't know if that was his estimate locally or nationally but either way it's illustrative of my point. The two of you are what are referred to as "few and far between" and if the truth comes out you y'all will be even fewer and farther between.
10-15% seems about right nationally. West Point, USAFA, and Hillsdale were higher. UGA seems to be about that. Harvard and MIT were lower when we were there.

Negatory ghost rider, Academic Freedom has NEVER been understood to cover administrators. Administrators are NOT academicians ... so simple a caveman can understand it.
In all the institutions I've taught at and attended, most administrators (deans and so on) held faculty positions and continued to teach in the department where they held faculty positions. There are occasions where the highest admins (Provost, Chancellor, President) at a university may not be faculty, but most deans, assistant deans, associate deans, and directors are faculty members and are understood to retain full academic freedom in their classrooms, in their publications, and in any and all activities pursued except when explicitly acting in their administrative function.

Yes it is. If the employer is a government institution, employees retain full 1st Amendment rights for actions taken outside their official duties.

10-15% seems about right nationally. West Point, USAFA, and Hillsdale were higher. UGA seems to be about that. Harvard and MIT were lower when we were there.

In all the institutions I've taught at and attended, most administrators (deans and so on) held faculty positions and continued to teach in the department where they held faculty positions. There are occasions where the highest admins (Provost, Chancellor, President) at a university may not be faculty, but most deans, assistant deans, associate deans, and directors are faculty members and are understood to retain full academic freedom in their classrooms, in their publications, and in any and all activities pursued except when explicitly acting in their administrative function.
If you were a teacher at a private Christian School, could they fire you if you tweeted that you had just become an Atheist? Reminds me of the Atheist Navy Chaplain.

I am very happy that my daughter chose to attend a local University for her undergrad Vs. one of the big communist organizations. She is surrounded by kids mostly from the northern Atlanta suburbs where most of the kids have conservative leaning parents. Sure there are some lefty's but the majority of the kids were raised conservative or libertarian. Furthermore, she will graduate with her undergrad degree basically debt free.

Debt free was pretty important for us and ours. We've got two physics majors and a chemistry major. We're not paying many of their bills, but we were careful to make it clear in the financial arrangements that our financial support is contingent both on a satisfactory major and GPA. We're not paying for our children to attend college, drink, and party and be indoctrinated in liberal thinking. I think our common refrain is, "You can major in anything you want as long as it is science, math, or engineering."

If you were a teacher at a private Christian School, could they fire you if you tweeted that you had just become an Atheist? Reminds me of the Atheist Navy Chaplain.
Probably, but it depends on the details of the employment contract. Hillsdale is actually a private Christian school with witches and atheists on the faculty. (At least there were some when we were there.)

But the school in question in the OP is a PUBLIC GOVERNMENT school in Alabama. Employees retain full 1st Amendment rights, as do all government employees. The government is restricted in actions it can take against employees in ways that private employers are not.

ambush80

That's just faculty. It's a lot closer to even in staff. In the southeast anyway. Not certain about other regions.

I catch a lot of flack for stating that we need to find a way to keep higher education from being an indoctrination center for the leftists in our culture and it should be the transfer of knowledge, not ideologies that happens when one attends.

I personally don't really mind so much as most of the leftists can't do what I do (also the reason I'm a researcher and not a teacher - lol) and it's what we are doing in our retirement so we can tell them to take a hike whenever we feel like it. Amazingly - that alone seems to make all the difference in the world.
https://heterodoxacademy.org/the-problem/

Thanks for that Liberally slanted article,Ambush. It has contradicting statements,and links in it also(as to whether he was fired,or resigned)..

Oh yes you are, you just don't know it. Trust me on this. I am a trained professional with a curriculum vitae that will knock your socks off. :bounce:
Good point, it's always possible college students are fooling their parents. But we have an agreement with them for random drug testing. A parent shows up at random times, they pee in the cup, and their scientist parents administer the at home drug tests. They haven't popped positive yet. They are also maintaining pretty good GPAs (3.3+) in Chemistry and Physics majors, so while we can't be sure that the drinking and partying are never occurring, we are confident that it is not derailing the academic purpose of going to college.

I encourage parents everywhere to consider their financial support of their college darlings as the "Mom and Dad Scholarship Program." Now, every family can have their own requirements for their Scholarship program, but every scholarship program has some academic requirements including a minimum GPA. Your requirements may differ from the LDB Scholarship Program (3.3 GPA, STEM Major, random drug testing, avoid legal trouble), but there SHOULD be requirements.

It's amazing how many conservatives want mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients, then write five figure "welfare" checks for their college darlings every year with no strings attached.

Patriot44

So you wanted her to work for the Clintons?
I had a job for her lined up, all she needed to do was get a physics degree.

Debt free was pretty important for us and ours. We've got two physics majors and a chemistry major. We're not paying many of their bills, but we were careful to make it clear in the financial arrangements that our financial support is contingent both on a satisfactory major and GPA. We're not paying for our children to attend college, drink, and party and be indoctrinated in liberal thinking. I think our common refrain is, "You can major in anything you want as long as it is science, math, or engineering."
Ours too and my son will be full on either a physicist or chemist. I work in the science industry and taking them to work with me for years and years has served them well.

We are a nerdy family that even do science projects on our own throughout the year. A few years ago, we created a solar torch that will cook a hot dog in a bout 2 seconds. :bounce: The next step is to put a servo on it to auto follow the sun.

As intelligent as my daughter is, she is a self taught artist and creates beautiful paintings and drawings. She won a national competition for BETA as a senior and almost placed in the international competition. My son is all science all day which scares us from time to time with the things that he tries. Wont even start with the projects that he has done on his own, I know that we are already on a watch list so I don't want to push it... but lets just say I have made it from walking into the ER to being worked on several times with him in 1.64 seconds. :bounce:

As far as the drinking goes, pert sure my 13 year old will be a drinker in college but my daughter has nothing to do with it. Even in Europe last year she wouldn't drink (of course to my liking). Her friend that we took with us was a lush. :bounce:

I had a job for her lined up, all she needed to do was get a physics degree.

As intelligent as my daughter is, she is a self taught artist and creates beautiful paintings and drawings. She won a national competition for BETA as a senior and almost placed in the international competition.
Nothing wrong with other giftings and callings in life, I'm just not sure we wanted to pay the cost of a top Ga school for ours to major in art or music or business. Our could easily live at home and attend a more affordable college to major in those things. An important principle when making college choices is that "idle hands are the devil's workshop." We knew for ours that if their college coursework was not sufficiently challenging, they were a lot more likely to get into trouble. Lots of easier majors leave many college students with too much time on their hands. They develop bad habits that serve them poorly later in life, and they graduate with degrees that are not really tickets to the careers for which they are hoping.