Unacceptable contractor work...what now?

1gr8bldr

What I see the most is not exactly quality.... but a don't care mindset. The same, I guess. On the miter cut, He guessed at 45 degrees rather than take the time to do it right. Then it required fitting the connecting miter. Which caused the short point to not meet together right.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Z
My tile guy had trouble once keeping the same margin on a particular job. I checked the tiles. They varied in size. This eliminates being able to keep it perfect. I can't tell, the pics look like the tiles are not set perfect, spacing wise...... I see one that seems to be canted slightly. However, once the next contractor hears that he is redoing tile, he will likely bail.... because he will be afraid of the job
This is true,tile quality has actuality gone down,even on expensive one's,sizing has become a real issue in the industry,same box,same run but you get tiles that are maybe a 16th to a 8th inch off and if your using spacers it becomes problematic for the installer,I've even had $ 16.00 to $20.00 per sq/ft crossville tile have sizing issues,Thats why most tile is run in some sort of pattern verses a plain square set,which this particular one was,a broken brick pattern.If you notice in the picture the grout lines lettered a&b are different widths and there's a bunch more than just those,thats in the linear run not the vertical.Number 1 tile should have been taken out and replaced with another as there is a definite size difference on the left end.#2 picture the tiles are crooked and along the counter top the grout was not wiped out good enough.That tile has a beveled edge so you can go two ways with it,butt them together and wipe the grout even with the tile and you wind up with what will look like a 1/8" inch grout joint or use a 1/8" spacer or a wedce and wipe the grout down to where you see the bevel.
I will have to disagree with you on this one,going in and fixing someone elses screw up just means more money for the installer whose correcting it and who dont like more money?I really hate to jank on someone elses work,matter of fact I try not to i have homeowners ask me all the time about other
trades work but i always tell them the should talk with there contractor about any concerns they have with anyone's work but this job sucks so bad and in the interest of the homeowner i have to say something,he has a legitimate complainant here
.Im ocd about my work.

Attachments

• tile2.jpg
    tile2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
And you'll pay a premium for the work. I can't understand why anybody would use HD for any installs

You are so right,they charge a premium price.I checked into doing some work for HD but the amount of insurance they require you to carry is crazy plus the sales people are inexperienced and dont have a clue,you have to wait 2 weeks to draw a check on top of all that.

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Z
This is true,tile quality has actuality gone down,even on expensive one's,sizing has become a real issue in the industry,same box,same run but you get tiles that are maybe a 16th to a 8th inch off and if your using spacers it becomes problematic for the installer,I've even had $ 16.00 to $20.00 per sq/ft crossville tile have sizing issues,Thats why most tile is run in some sort of pattern verses a plain square set,which this particular one was,a broken brick pattern.If you notice in the picture the grout lines lettered a&b are different widths and there's a bunch more than just those,thats in the linear run not the vertical.Number 1 tile should have been taken out and replaced with another as there is a definite size difference on the left end.#2 picture the tiles are crooked and along the counter top the grout was not wiped out good enough.That tile has a beveled edge so you can go two ways with it,butt them together and wipe the grout even with the tile and you wind up with what will look like a 1/8" inch grout joint or use a 1/8" spacer or a wedce and wipe the grout down to where you see the bevel.
I will have to disagree with you on this one,going in and fixing someone elses screw up just means more money for the installer whose correcting it and who dont like more money?I really hate to jank on someone elses work,matter of fact I try not to i have homeowners ask me all the time about other
trades work but i always tell them the should talk with there contractor about any concerns they have with anyone's work but this job sucks so bad and in the interest of the homeowner i have to say something,he has a legitimate complainant here
.Im ocd about my work.
LOL, I can be as well, but recently, some OCD homeowners have broken my pride. One particular job, I have replaced every window once, Some three times. Big picture windows. The latest, they called two months later to say they found something else [on the glass]. "But you can only see it after 4 oclock". Mercy. Then the next call was "the crossbar in the screens looks good from the inside but we think if it were lowered 1/2 inch that the outside would look better. facepalm:. Then I wasted another:mad: trip out to look at another problem. This is no joke, we walked out on the deck, and he said, "after it rains, if you come outside, i can hear water dripping inside of the gutter downspout":mad:

Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
LOL, I can be as well, but recently, some OCD homeowners have broken my pride. One particular job, I have replaced every window once, Some three times. Big picture windows. The latest, they called two months later to say they found something else. "But you can only see it after 4 oclock". Mercy. Then the next call was "the crossbar in the screens looks good from the inside but we think if it were lowered 1/2 inch that the outside would look better. facepalm:. Then I wasted another:mad: trip out to look at another problem. This is no joke, we walked out on the deck, and he said, "after it rains, if you come outside, i can hear water dripping inside of the gutter downspout":mad:
I here ya,every now and then you get the ones you can't please no matter what,most of the time their wanting something for free.I will always go back and meet the customer to address anything they have a concern about and if its a legtimate complaint i will address it but if its something unreasonable i just bluntly tell them it is.Ive learned after 25 years in the business that you can't beat around the bush.I bet you do the same also but you've still wasted your time and gas and some people simply don't get it,some want you to come and change there lightbulb.......lol

1gr8bldr

I here ya,every now and then you get the ones you can't please no matter what,most of the time their wanting something for free.I will always go back and meet the customer to address anything they have a concern about and if its a legtimate complaint i will address it but if its something unreasonable i just bluntly tell them it is.Ive learned after 25 years in the business that you can't beat around the bush.I bet you do the same also but you've still wasted your time and gas and some people simply don't get it,some want you to come and change there lightbulb.......lol
Up until last year, I jumped through every hoop, gave them everything they wanted that was not in the contract, took beating after beating. but no more, My mindset has changed starting after this present job. Most recent homeowner said "when are you going to install the windows" on an addition. Brick crew 2 days out. I said you did not ask for windows. They said" we assumed we were getting windows, we have windows everywhere." I said, there not on the plan you gave me. Mercy, I eat 2 windows and get behind 3 weeks, two waiting on windows and another week because I lost my window with the mason..... and they complain because it's taking so long. :huh:

rjcruiser

Well that explains the different sized grout lines.

Yes it does.

And seeing that they're matted tiles, I agree with the OP...the grout was installed incorrectly.

I will say, that tile would be a pain to install because of that thin grout and the beveled edge. But, it should have been priced appropriately and done correctly.

MX5HIGH

Ok, the HD mgr and the field rep for the company responsible for the install came to check out the job first hand. They both had already agreed, after viewing the pictures I sent them, that this was not an acceptable job. I know I said I didn't want them back in our house but I have reconsidered that.

The field rep assured us that they would take out the tile, clean up the mess, put up hardyboard/backerboard and redo the job. He is sending his best crew to do the work and said they would do whatever it takes to complete the job to our satisfaction. We'll see.

skiff23

I suspected the pre matted tile. I don't like it and it is an installers nightmare That was part of the problem.

rospaw

Ok, the HD mgr and the field rep for the company responsible for the install came to check out the job first hand. They both had already agreed, after viewing the pictures I sent them, that this was not an acceptable job. I know I said I didn't want them back in our house but I have reconsidered that.

The field rep assured us that they would take out the tile, clean up the mess, put up hardyboard/backerboard and redo the job. He is sending his best crew to do the work and said they would do whatever it takes to complete the job to our satisfaction. We'll see.

Some folks are just suckers! ::ke:
Let them back in ehh.... Well i guess the old saying is they got me once but never again.... OH, sorry i meant to say they got me once, they got me TWICE but never again? :rofl:

On a serious note i hope they take care of you and make it right (and most likely they will) Pictures when the job is done so WE can critique! :pop:

MX5HIGH

The district manager with the company (Romanoff) who provided the two rookies who did the tile job is no longer with the company.

The company sent another manager out (two weeks ago) to see the unacceptable job these two guys did. He said he had seen all the pictures we (and Home Depot) had submitted but said he had no idea is was this bad.

Romanoff is scheduled to send their two best guys out tomorrow (Monday) morning and have put us on their calendar for four days to remove the previous tile job, clean everything up to our satisfaction and then reinstall the backsplash.

MX5HIGH

Well it appears that after 3 months this nightmare is about over. The company, Romanoff Renovations , the subcontractor for Home Depot, sent out their two "best" tile guys. They got the crappy unprofessional backsplash torn out and put in wonderboard.

I had told this guy and his supervisor during a previous visit that we wanted the spacers between the quartz countertop and the first layer of tiles. I walked into the kitchen to check his progress and he had set the tile right on top of the countertop...no spacers.

I called his supervisor and said we had told him we wanted spacers and he started out with the tile directly on top of the countertop without spacers. The tile guy left with our kitchen still in a mess.

Fast forward 2 more weeks. The guy came back, tore out that section and replaced the wonderboard. THEN he started the install using the spacers. Finally by the end of the day he had the backsplash installed.

He came back the next day and grouted and sealed and anything else that needed to be done. There are a few details I can take care of like a few pinholes in the grout and one small section that needs a little more caulk. My wife and I agreed we don't want any of them back in our house.

I sent the district manager an email (with pictures) and mentioned that we would finish up their job. My wife ended up cleaning the grout off the countertops that the first crew got all over them saving the company money by not sending out someone to do this. Remember, this company is 65 miles from our residence.

I ask for compensation for not only the work we ended up doing but also for leaving our kitchen in a mess for 3 months. We learned a costly lesson. Never deal with a box store for any remodeling projects. They will tell you how great their subs are and they don't have a clue how terrible their work is, or if they do they sure won't tell you.

Some of you wanted to see pictures of the completed job. Photobucket went south and I have not found another picture sharing website yet. When I do, I will post up some pictures.

1gr8bldr

I know you wanted the space between the counter and 1st tile, but don't grout it. Get the flexible grout tile caulk for this. A grout line will crack due to movement of the counter/tile. Lowes sells it and you can likely get a good match. If I recall, it dries slightly lighter than the pic on the tube

MX5HIGH

Absolutely. This time they did it right and used the caulk that was designed (same color as grout) to be used to seal between the countertop and the bottom row of tile.

MX5HIGH

Ok, after months the backsplash install is complete. I have learned my lesson to NEVER deal with Home Depot or their contractors again. Their contractors were Romanoff Renovations, absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Last edited: