Uncle Joe

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Great suggestion Sarah.

Painters -
I am not a good one but I have known one really good painter. When he painted window mullions he made one stroke next to the pane and never had to wipe a drip or run nor scrape paint from the glass. He also got an even bead of paint to roll along the glass sealing it to the wood. He could paint six windows while I was botching the job on one.

Mike 65

Working in the building trade for well over 40 years, most of them self employed. I’ve seen a lot of good painters. And am pretty good myself though I don’t care to do it. What I can’t remember seeing and don’t understand is why anyone would lay carpet before painting is done. Flooring is the last thing you do.
Am I the only one who picked up on this? Just a thought.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Working in the building trade for well over 40 years, most of them self employed. I’ve seen a lot of good painters. And am pretty good myself though I don’t care to do it. What I can’t remember seeing and don’t understand is why anyone would lay carpet before painting is done. Flooring is the last thing you do.
That's so the carpet guys don't scratch the paint on the base mold. :rofl:

DannyW

My Uncle Jack was like your Uncle Joe. He painted our home in 1988. I remember it took him a full 8-hour day to just paint the front and back of a set of French doors. But he didn't have to scrape a single pane.

He taught me some tricks of the trade:

- Buy quality brushes and use them for years. This means a through cleaning at the end of a project.

- Brushes and rollers don't need cleaning at the end of a day. Just put them in a plastic grocery bag and store them in the refrigerator.

- He taught me the art of cutting in. I no longer have to tape things off.

That being said, I don't like painting myself. It's just a necessary task to be tolerated.

Redbow

The carpet in my Mom's house went down before Uncle Joe was available to begin painting for her, the man was busy. And the carpet man wasn't about to wait on the painter. Another thing is the house we lived in b4 the new house was sold so we had to move out as soon as possible. Circumstances at times can be a pain I agree paint b4 you put carpet down but when that's not possible you do the best you can. And Uncle Joe was the man she wanted to paint the inside of her house

specialk

My maternal granddaddy was a true carpenter. He did all types of residential work retiring in the early 70s. Most every home job required some type of painting when the wood working was done. He had lots of brushes and rollers. I remember cans and cans of leftover paint behind his shop under a shed. Never hired anyone to help and never advertised for work. I remember staying with him and anytime we were out in public people would approach and ask about his service and if he could come by and look at their house. Stayed busy year round. I wished some of that would have rubbed off on me, i hate to paint and im no good at it.