Uncomfortable/Unsafe Situations You've had?

Had a tense moment hunting last season. I was heading back to my ride to get on home and through the woods comes a dog just galloping along. He's fast and up on me in a few seconds baying. I didn't know if when he got to me whether he'd stop or just chew my face off, so I pointed the gun and pulled the hammer back and just barked back at him "NO". The dog wasn't subdued in the least. Thankfully, the owner came jogging up the trail a moment later and I lowered the gun before she saw what was going down. She jogged by and I went on my way.

abrannon

My last time at Beaver Dam WMA's gun range, I was with my sons. We wanted to move the farthest target, so after everyone stopped shooting we asked the group of young people that were also shooting pistols and AR’s at about 25 yards, if we could go down and move farthest target stand. Everyone said ok, so me and my oldest son went down there to move it. Well apparently one of the group of about 6-8 people who we had spoken to was in the out-house when we went down to move the target stand. He comes out and picks up a pistol and opens fire at his target. He got of about 5-7 rounds off before they stopped him. Now I have been shot at before, but nothing has ever scared me as bad as having my son get shot at… Luckily they all hit low and to the right of us. Looking back I really did not handle that well, when I got back to the target line.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Louisville Mississippi in the 70's . I was a student at MSU working for the US forest service tree seed lab we stopped at a burger joint in " downtown Louisville" and a car pulled up guy got out with a shotgun stuck - it in my face told me he didn't like my hair it was TOO long- held me at gunpoint for a while then just drove off - of course the law did nothing to the "good ole boy"

j_seph

Was 35-40 feet high and shot a hole in the side rail of my climber last November. For the story, search for "Attention Climber Users."

Had a 16' ladder stand pull away from the tree while putting it up one time.

Had a Tree Lounge slip about a foot several times about 2 seasons ago. Went back to my old climbers and sold the TL.

Had several road rage incidents over the years. Once, I was unarmed, and twice I thought I might have to shoot the other person.

Had someone come into our deer camp at night twice while we were in bed.

Had coyotes follow me out of the woods one night 2 years ago. Disappeared when I flipped on the light.

Rode out several severe storms in a pop-up camper over the years. Probably should have gotten up and went to the truck, but didn't want to get wet.
Some times I miss this ole feller:cool:

holton27596

back in 81 I was in Atlanta to get processed for the Army. I had this pretty little girl with me and we went into the silver Dollar bar. looked nice until i noticed a couple of ladies slow dancing with each other, and when i looked closer it turned out to be 2 dudes dressed up like ladies!!! Looked around and the whole bar was that way. You would be surprised at how fast you can get out of a bar!

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
back in 81 I was in Atlanta to get processed for the Army. I had this pretty little girl with me and we went into the silver Dollar bar. looked nice until i noticed a couple of ladies slow dancing with each other, and when i looked closer it turned out to be 2 dudes dressed up like ladies!!! Looked around and the whole bar was that way. You would be surprised at how fast you can get out of a bar!

So; you closed the place down? :huh: ::ke:

zedex

Gator Bait
Back in '89, there was a old, run down motel at the foot of the St Simons causeway where there is now a jiffy store/gas station.

An old friend who had moved away long before had returned for a visit. He got a weekly rental at that old dive since it was cheap and being a beach rat, he didn't care what kind of shape the place was in- it was only a bed at night. Otherwise, he was on the beach fishing.

Anyway, I saw him at the pier one evening and he told me where he was staying and said I should drop in one evening after work. So I did.

I drove into the parking lot around mid-night { my shift ended at 11:30pm } and as I was getting out of my truck, I got grabbed from behind, one hand over my face, the other hand holding something at the base of my skull. It was a pistol.

The fella took my truck keys and searched my pockets, yanking out my wallet. Then, he used his forearm to pin my head against the truck while took out my license and made note of my name and address. Then, he trows my stuff on the ground at my feet and turns me around to face a large black pistol and he holds the gun to my forehead demanding to know why I was there. I told him who invited me and the guy asked why I show up that late at night and I tell him I just got off work.

He explains the place has been broke into a number of times and he wants to know everyone coming and going.

Next thing I know, the place has cops pouring in from every direction and they point their guns at the dude who has his gun pointing at me. Of all the people there, I am the only one without a gun.

Finally, they take the guy down and charge him with several things and question me. Around 2am, I am allowed to leave.

I never did get to see my old friend that night or ever again. Someone said he was living on the beaches of Panama City. Someone else said he was in Diego. More often than not, I've heard he died on a pier in Daytona.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I was a barehand transmission lineman for most of my workin` career.

cramer

I asked a woman I work with "when is the baby due?"
Answer - I'm not pregnant:whip:

She was scary mean :hair:- so mean :hair:I don't know how it happened, but she really was having a baby and yankin' my chain:rofl:

southGAlefty

That electricity is definitely some scary stuff. A friend of mine got hit with 14,000 volts back in May and lived to tell about it. He just finished up lineman school in the last month or 2 actually.

Accident wasn't his fault, but it blew the tires off the truck he was working from. It went in his thumb and came out of his ankles. How it didn't kill him is a mystery. He spent some time in the burn clinic in Gainesville and a month or so off work but is fine now.

JohnnyWalker

When I was 20 I was sitting in the den one saturday morning watching TV when I hear the distinct sound of my 22 cal target pistol being cocked. I look up to see my wife pointing it at my head. She said I'm going to kill you so I stand up and face her. Then I tell her that while that 22 will likely kill me, it won't do it before I have a chance to take that away from her. So she lowers the pistol and I take it away from her and call the police. She's the only X that didn't give me problems after the divorce.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoelix

"Portal" to the other side opened in a house that we bought in 1967 or so...we were warned NOT to open boarded up bathroom, but my Dad did anyway.....was NOT GOOD...Several entities were seen in the home shortly afterward, we were eventually ran out "Amityville" style, Mom nearly suffocated by an apparition....Personal investigation in 1998 revealed a suicide that a lady had cut her throat in that bathroom in 1961....

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
One of the first trips I made to Pinelog with my son, who was 5 or 6 at the time.....we were walking out, back to the truck and maybe 200 yards or so from the entrance.......I wanted to check this one ridge that went straight out to the left of us, since it overlooked a nice hdwd bottom.
He was tired so I told him to just "stay there" and I would be right back. I walked about 50 yards or so, looked around and went back to the Rd to find my son GONE. I yelled and got no answer......I was screaming at the top or my lungs and got no answer.
the only tracks I saw were going back into the WMA so I ran that way maybe another 100 yards, yelling and screaming his name........Nothing.

I was running back to the truck screaming and yelling the whole time, feeling like my life has just expired....
I get back to the truck, completely winded and about to pass out and he is sitting there in the back of the truck waiting on me...........like nothing ever happened.

Like nothing ever happened...............:rolleyes:

He is 9 now and when we go in the woods, he still doesn't leave my sight...........it sends chills up my back just thinking of that day.......

BoneHunter77

"Portal" to the other side opened in a house that we bought in 1967 or so...we were warned NOT to open boarded up bathroom, but my Dad did anyway.....was NOT GOOD...Several entities were seen in the home shortly afterward, we were eventually ran out "Amityville" style, Mom nearly suffocated by an apparition....Personal investigation in 1998 revealed a suicide that a lady had cut her throat in that bathroom in 1961....

Phoelix, are you telling the truth? What town/city did this happen in?

Lukikus2

Good friend of mine just got his climbing cert. I think about him often. That electricity don't play. I got turned into a human conductor on a demo job one day when I got hit by 440. I was alone and luckily was on a fiberglass ladder and it threw me off of it. :crazy:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good friend of mine just got his climbing cert. I think about him often. That electricity don't play. I got turned into a human conductor on a demo job one day when I got hit by 440. I was alone and luckily was on a fiberglass ladder and it threw me off of it. :crazy:

In another 5 weeks, remind me, and I`ll tell you a story of me and a little high voltage power. ;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That probably didn't sound too scary for the folks that thought you worked at Aamco instead of GA Power.:D

Yea, transmission voltages run from 46,000 volts through 500,000 volts. It will really "reach out and touch you". :eek:

Backlasher82

Yea, transmission voltages run from 46,000 volts through 500,000 volts. It will really "reach out and touch you". :eek:

I can only imagine.:hair:

When I read your post I got this picture of somebody who didn't know the background story thinking "What's so scary about working on an assembly line building transmissions?"

I'm looking forward to reading more about the story in a few weeks.:cheers:

SC Hunter

At work one day working EMS and transporting a older lady for "not feeling good" about half way thru the trip to the hospital she reached in her purse and pulled out a 357 with a 6" barrel and pointed it at me and said son do you want this? I calmly said I'll hold that for you but inside I was thinking I'm glad she wasn't crazy.