Uncomfortable/Unsafe Situations You've had?

Sweetwater

Memorial weekend 2004 or 2005. My two best friends of 40 years...their wives...and my ex went to West Point for the weekend. We all chipped in on a 24 ft pontoon rental.

After not catching a fish all weekend...on Sunday we finally went to Maple creek...45 minutes ride away from our campsite. On our first drift...my ex caught a huge slab crappie.

As we set up for our second drift...I glanced back toward the dam...and saw a big, black, straight as a ruler squall heading right for us. I said "we got to go". Everyone else disagreed.

That is....until that firs 60 mph gust hit us.

Then....I piloted us back to camp. Through the hardest squall I have ever been in. 40 mph sustained winds gusting to 60. Lightning popping like artillery. Driving rain. Swells so big the channel marker bouys were dissappearing in the valleys.

The only thing keeping us from being blown over was the 500 pounds of my buddies wives across the back seat. I dont know how we made it.

While everyone else was terrified...I was mad. I cussed them the whole way back for being so stupid....for not listening to me. I kept looking back from the pilots seat cussing them...saying"Yall scared? Good!" Like I said...I was too mad to be scared....and my being mad scared them almost as much as that ride did.

And btw...another thing no one listened to me about was packing warm clothes. After the squall...temps dropped from high 80's to the 50's. They froze. I didn't.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In late 2007 I was walking down fishing trail on USFS in Union Co. with two of my dogs, the first a male that always goes ahead exploring, the second a little female that stays glued to me like a shadow. I looked down the trail about 30 yards ahead and noticed my male dog had his head up winding something in a bush and flagging his tail like he was greeting a person but the person seemed to be trying to hide behind the bush. I had a small .22 mag revolver but I'm a lover not a fighter, so I took off running back the way I came, calling my dog's name. I looked back once to see if my dog was coming which he was and an older, balding, grey haired, odd looking old man had stepped out into the trail making erratic motions with his arms sort of waving them about in front of himself. I made it back to truck safely. A few weeks later Gary Michael Hilton abducted that poor woman on Blood Mtn and later killed her down in Dawson Forest I believe. When I saw Gary Michael Hilton's image on tv, to say cold chills ran down my spine would be an understatement :hair:, he looked very much like the old man I had seen on the trail that day. If not for my dog, I might have crossed paths with a serial killer.

A guy I know said that he met Hilton near Hot Springs, NC while walking out of the woods after a deer hunt. He said Hilton walked all the way out of the woods with him and got into his van that was parked beside the guy I know's truck, and drove off. He said Hilton was friendly and talkative, but weird and he got a bad vibe from him.
This wasn't long before Hilton killed the elderly couple at Davidson River, NC. He was the same as you-said when he saw Hilton's picture on the tv news, it creeped him out big time.

Just looked at the haunted house thread and got to thinking. Im one to not believe in ghost/spirits, but have had times where I felt uneasy and not safe. What are some times you felt this way (downtown encounters, break ins, personal encounters)?

My grandfather has many rental homes and while working as a carpenter for him, I would recieve job calls to fix broken things. He would often purchase foreclosed homes from the city and I would be sent out to inspect these homes. Since I was under 21 and without a carrying permit, I would be in some parts of town I would consider unsafe alone. When repairing vaccant homes for rent and checking out old homes he purchased, I learned over the years to always have some type of "weapon". I would typically carry a 22 oz framing hammer or a very large wrench (30mm +). I had one encounter that really scared the mess out of me described as a "flight or fight" situation. I was inspecting a house my grandfather just purchased to see find any structural problems to bring his construction crew over to fix. I checked each room in my walk through and found a bedroom that seemed like someone lived there. I saw a closet door and opened the door like I have done hundreds of times. I'll be darn if I didn't open the door to find a sleeping man! Im use to roaches coming out etc.., but this time I had a 30+ year old man running at me. By the time I moved out of the way and had the hammer cocked back to knock the mess out of him in my deffense (he charged at me), he slung the bedroom window open and jumped out before my brain could process the situation. I will more than likely never be as frightened as I was then in my lifetime.

So, what are some encounters you have had like this that had your heart racing?:hair:

I was at a buddy's house back in January on a warm day on the weekend. We we're doing a suspension set up on his car to handle the boost that is now on the engine. We got done, cleaned up, fire up the grill and went up stairs from the garage to grab some chicken. We come down, open the chicken and season it, lay the plate on the table, lay the grill grate on the burning coals and wood and turn our back to grab a beer from his beer fridge a few feet away. On FLAT driveway, as we turn our backs, the grill falls, is thrown, knocked back many feet from us????????? We both look at each other, look at the grill for failed/busted legs...nothing. It got real strange then, real uneasy feeling. We still have not come up with a explanation. Kinda blew my mind. It was 5 feet from where it sat on the level driveway and something knocked it over, we still don't know what.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Memorial weekend 2004 or 2005. My two best friends of 40 years...their wives...and my ex went to West Point for the weekend. We all chipped in on a 24 ft pontoon rental.

After not catching a fish all weekend...on Sunday we finally went to Maple creek...45 minutes ride away from our campsite. On our first drift...my ex caught a huge slab crappie.

As we set up for our second drift...I glanced back toward the dam...and saw a big, black, straight as a ruler squall heading right for us. I said "we got to go". Everyone else disagreed.

Then....I piloted us back to camp. Through the hardest squall I have ever been in. 40 mph sustained winds gusting to 60. Lightning popping like artillery. Driving rain. Swells so big the channel marker bouys were dissappearing in the valleys.

The only thing keeping us from being blown over was the 500 pounds of my buddies wives across the back seat. I dont know how we made it.

While everyone else was terrified...I was mad. I cussed them the whole way back for being so stupid....for not listening to me. I kept looking back from the pilots seat cussing them...saying"Yall scared? Good!" Like I said...I was too mad to be scared....and my being mad scared them almost as much as that ride did.

And btw...another thing no one listened to me about was packing warm clothes. After the squall...temps dropped from high 80's to the 50's. They froze. I didn't.

I'da been scared of them wives!! :hair:

fish hawk

Bass Master
A few weeks ago I was working in a 74 year old lady's house and she started rubbin me on the back.........:hair:
::gone:

snookdoctor

Rule number 7- Never take your ex on a fishing trip.:bounce:

egomaniac247

I have one that turns out to be humorous but wasn't so funny at the time...

Back in 1999 I was in college and stayed at school during the summer recess to take some summer classes. The school had just purchased some land on a former farm and was in the process of erecting some student apartments on the land. One end of the apartments was completed so I got to stay in the brand new apartment that summer.

The land was still very much undeveloped and so the old (OLD) farm house still stood on the property, about 200 yards up the hill from where the apartments were under construction. It was your classic looking haunted house....no windows, made of old weathered gray plank siding, collapsed roof..

Well my girlfriend came to visit me and took my black lab outside to use the bathroom one night....she came back in looking all flustered and told me that she saw a light inside the haunted house on the hill. I rolled my eyes at her but agreed to go step outside the apartment and look up the hill at the haunted house.

We got outside and looked up the hill....it was pitch black outside and so I really couldn't even see the house on the hill....About the time I was getting ready to sarcastically tell her that I didn't see anything, I'm not kidding the entire haunted house LIT UP.

It was like a split second but I'll be danged if the entire interior of the house didn't light up like lightening and go completely black again.

I FREAKED and left her and the dog in a cloud of dust, as I rushed to the door of my apartment.

After her cursing me out for leaving her out in the dark with the dog and running like a coward, we went upstairs in the apartment, cut out all the lights in the place and peaked out the window again to look at the haunted house.

Sure enough, within a few minutes IT LIT UP AGAIN..

I didn't know what to do....clearly we had a haunted house on our hands....

15 minutes later I feel like a complete fool when I see a group of college kids walking down the hill back toward the apartments. They had gone inside the old house and were taking pictures with flash photography. I ended up marrying that girlfriend (still married) and she doesn't let me forget that I left her high & dry outside to save my own skin LOL

BeerThirty

First time seeing this thread, so I'll contribute...

Back about 12-yrs ago while I still lived in Wisconsin, was hunting an approx. 80-acre area that was recently clear cut by a timber company. Very common practice for them to leave huge mulch piles, sometimes as high as 20-ft up. You could hunt atop these mulch piles and have a really nice vantage point.

Well, since all the land owned by the timber companies up there is open to public hunting, you naturally have to compete with all the other yahoos.

Anyway, one morning I got out atop one of these mulch piles maybe an hour or so before sun up. Next thing I know, there two hunters climbing up the same pile right behind me. They setup shop 5-ft right behind me and slightly higher. They literally would have had to shoot over my head. I stood up and gave them an earful with a few choice words. They gave me the old "this is public land, if you don't like it then leave". Man was I ever close to starting something worse......

chase870

Possum Sox
30 Years in the trailer parks and low income rental property goes a long way in this thread. A 22oz eastwing is a no joke feel good tool when things arnt quite right. The Clairmont lounge with guns and drunk Paratroopers was a bad time. Running a Bail Bond company and picking up bail skips in really bad places is always good for a uneasy feeling

Dialer

Hunting a wayward RC airplane that got away from me and disappeared into the woods some 1/4 mile away, I come up on a large plastic garbage bag. Out of curiosity, I try to pick it up, and the weight is too much, around 150 pounds I guess. I reach into the top of the bag and realize what's in it after I feel the scalp and hair of a dead body, or what I thought was a dead body. By the time I reached my truck, I had convinced myself that it was not or couldn't have been what I thought. Figured I would look plum silly calling anyone. Soon after, the local news reported police finding the body. Never did find my airplane!